Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2014, 04:10 AM   #21
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

The NHL season is long and gruelling. Our early success was based around blazing speed and high-pressure forechecking (and some excellent goaltending and miraculously good play from Giordano and Brodie). It was probably inevitable that this style of play would catch up to us, as the guys must be pretty worn-out.

We've certainly gotten slower and sloppier in the last 8 games. Perhaps Colborne, Raymond and Stajan came back too soon, but the fact is it's not only their return that has slowed us down. Everyone else has slowed down as well.

Tough game against LA on Monday and then the boys have 4 days off. Let's hope the turkey dinners can regenerate some of the mojo we had going for the 1st 2 months of the season.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 04:24 AM   #22
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Plus there are 5 awesome defensemen in this draft, Hanifin, Kylington, Werenski, Roy and Provorov, that all look to be very good two way guys, something the Flames lack in the system.

So it's not the end of the world if the Flames end up finishing poorly this year.
If the Flames end up anywhere near the opportunity to draft Hanifin I will not complain one bit about the season falling off of a cliff. Or Eichel for that matter.

Kylington, Werenski and Prvorov would be okay but hot damn if the Flames got Hanifin.....
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 05:05 AM   #23
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Johnny + first rounder for Justin Williams. Veteran leadership that knows how to win is what this team needs.....

Sorry, can't change text colour from phone...
Old 12-21-2014, 05:25 AM   #24
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Johnny + first rounder for Justin Williams. Veteran leadership that knows how to win is what this team needs.....

Sorry, can't change text colour from phone...
Classic D. Sutter mentality. Throw in the 2nd rounder if they're umming & ahhhing.

Seriously though, I don't think this brutal skid should change anything for Treliving and any potential trades. Any improvements he makes should be primarily for the future, with benefits to the present team a bonus.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameZilla For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2014, 08:34 AM   #25
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only thing this team needs is time and patience from the fan base.

It's the curse of Canadian franchises I think that they feel so much pressure to compete.

This team is on the right track and should just stand pat unless something falls right into our laps.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:38 AM   #26
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Sorry OP, but your arguments boil down to little more than "be like the Oilers and rush the kids up."

It should already be obvious that this does not work.

My solution to fix the Flames? Nothing. Panic moves have never solved anything. We were massively overachieving to start the season, and we are massively underachieving now. The team as a whole is somewhere in the middle. The pendulum will swing regardless of how freaked out fans want things to go.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2014, 09:01 AM   #27
BigFlameDog
First Line Centre

Exp:

Clearly we need to rebuild, I only hope the fan base has the patience.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:06 AM   #28
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I think they should just stay the course, I can also see the argument to make some changes to try and make playoffs. I don't think they need to do to much change to make a push for playoffs. Even with a dreadful 8 loses in a row they are still in it.

The small changes could be trade Bollig and bring up Ferland. It's obvious that Hartely is not liking What Bollig is bringing. I don't think the GM would have a problem admitting he made a mistake with Bollig. I don't think they can get a 3rd back, but maybe a 4th/5th rounder. The other change would be to trade for a better bottom pairing dman. Not sure of the cost.

I don't think the flames need to trade a bunch of veterans and bring up Sven, Porier , ect. Stajan gets a lot of grief on this forum, but I think he is fine as a 4th line center. Could make a case about Raymond , but he's not going anywhere.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:28 AM   #29
Bourque's Twin
First Line Centre

Exp:

Trade Stajan, Raymond, and Colborne.
Bring up Ferland, bring up Baertschi, dress Bollig.

In all seriousness, the Flames have guys who are part of the answer: Gio, Brodie, Hudler, Monahan, Gaudreau, Bouma, Granlund, Jooris. More coming up: Bennett, Poirier, Ferland, Wotherspoon, and I think Baertschi.

Seeing our AHL team succeed is a message to all fans: "Be patient. This is coming. It just takes time."
Bourque's Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bourque's Twin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2014, 09:52 AM   #30
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

To the OP: I agree 1005 that the reason they were successful earlier is that they were skating more. Last night was a clear example of them NOT skating like they were 3 weeks ago. Having said that, part of the difference is that other teams have reacted to their style and have been exploiting it. Now they have to adjust.

To the topic: what the Flames need more than anything else is for fans to chill out. This is exactly why the organization was reticent to rebuild: fans can't handle it.

The absolute worst thing they can do is rush players and make short term decisions. Stay the course and stick to the plan.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #31
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

And I fully agree with all those talking about the AHL team - they are doing exactly what I hoped they would, playing well and winning. Let the kids play together and win together.

Frankly, I would rather Jooris and Granlund down there winning than up here losing.

And Culkin? He is AT LEAST two years away, if not more.
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:55 AM   #32
Flamescat
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

#noboldmoves
Flamescat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:05 AM   #33
Buck
Farm Team Player

Exp:

My "solution". Wait for Backlund to return, move Jooris to Glencross' spot on wing and shop Glencross to a contender or bubble team and try to get him to move his no trade clause. Otherwise wait for the young guys to develop.
Buck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:11 AM   #34
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do the opposite of whatever Edmonton does.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:15 AM   #35
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

As far as quick fixes go, I'd look at either Wotherspoon or Potter as an upgrade on Diaz, who is way too lightweight.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:44 AM   #36
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Considering the highly irrational tone of the GTs recently, I have to say I'm surprised and incredibly pleased with the response to the OP. This is exactly the kind of hiccup and stumble that comes with a rebuild.

Stay the course.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 10:46 AM   #37
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Shop Glencross and Stajan, maybe get back some 3rd round picks. Try to get Marc Staal from NYR.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:07 AM   #38
Mony
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think we all got a little too high off of the fast start, myself included, and hopefully this will keep the fanbase a little more grounded and sort of going back to how we approached the rebuild last year - celebrate small victories, don't get too low on the worst low points (like an 8+ losing streak), look for areas where we have improved over last year, and search for what needs to be improved in our young game.

Look at the father-son relationship Hudler and Gaudreau have, how he pulled him over last night to give him some lessons about what and what not to do. We are very, very lucky to have some capable veteran mentorship on this team to help guide the young kids and round out their game, extending past Adirondack. And yes, I still do believe Bob is the right one for the coaching position, at least for the next 2ish years. His system is part of why we were succeeding so much in the first place earlier, and I believe we will still find success with him. The ultimate confidence is extending a coach whilst you are in a 6-game losing streak. And I still think Burke, Treliving, and most of the people here still have a lot of faith and trust in Hartley after 6 became 8. He needs to light a fire under the Flames' asses, get them back to doing fundamentals, keep it disciplined, but celebrate the small stuff with them as we have seen behind the bench this whole time. Hartley isn't Eakins, and I think our players have a lot of trust in him too.

There's nothing wrong with making the playoffs. Is it looking less and less likely as the games go on? Yes. Is it the best long-term for this rebuild? Absolutely not. Anywhere from 1-14 is a good place to be picking in this particular draft. And it's the best long-term for this rebuild.

We don't need McDavid, but we need a solid pick. Everyone just needs to be patient, take a breather or two, maybe even step away from hockey for a while as someone else has already stated. Stick to the plan and it will work out. No rushing, we have an incredible foundation here with a couple of the ones currently on the roster, and I'm not even including Bennett and the guys developing in Addy. Even if this losing streak grows, it's important to recognize the bigger picture - we are in year 2. There are going to be some lengthy growing pains. Yes, this includes if 8 somehow becomes 11 like the Oilers. The season can go either way right now, we could start winning again and stay somewhere around our current position, or other teams below us can go on a tear and succeed us if we keep a win-lose-win-lose pattern. The only ones that have no hope of catching us are Arizona and Edmonton.

Stay the course.

Last edited by Mony; 12-21-2014 at 11:30 AM.
Mony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mony For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2014, 11:08 AM   #39
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

nothing

been a wonderful season so far.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2014, 11:11 AM   #40
Igster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I got caught up in the Flames winning a little too much, same as many others. But in reality, there isn't much to do with this team right now. Stay the course, trade some vets as we head into the deadline for picks/prospects and really focus on a deep draft.
Igster is offline   Reply With Quote