Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

Old 12-20-2014, 06:11 PM   #1
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Don Cherry: "Teams were terrified of playing Calgary last year, but not anymore."

Basically said we need to inject some more toughness into our line up after going on this 7 game losing streak.

Teams were terrified of playing Calgary last year with Mcgrattan & Westgarth in the lineup and aren't scared anymore.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #2
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having watched almost every Flames game this season, have not seen any part of any game where they looked even slightly intimidated.

Don being Don. Dinosaur hockey is gone.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:18 PM   #3
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oooohh. That's why we can't score. The opposition isn't scared!
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:20 PM   #4
Zach
Scoring Winger

Exp:

He is actually right
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Zach For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2014, 06:20 PM   #5
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I don't think they were terrified last season, that 4th line was pretty easy to play against if they were caught out there against the other teams' top line. And if it was an issue, why didn't Grapes bring it up 7 games ago?

They're not losing because teams aren't afraid of them, they're losing close games because the Flames offense has dried up and they are having a brain cramp or two a game that are costing them.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2014, 06:23 PM   #6
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there's some truth to it, but it's not why we're losing
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #7
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach View Post
He is actually right
No, he's not
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #8
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not just one factor as to why we are losing. I'd be surprised though if Don's theory isn't a contributing factor mind you. Given the offence has dried up, this team certainly isn't hard to play against, and they certainly don't intimidate or ware other teams down. I also thought it was very evident against New York that we were getting pushed around and players on the opposition were bing very physical against the likes of Gio with 0 push back from the Flames.

While ideally we'd have a skilled and physical line up top to bottom, we currently don't have that type of player, and I'd say this team could use some swagger and a little intimidation factor at this point that a McGrattan beat down could help provide.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:25 PM   #9
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
Having watched almost every Flames game this season, have not seen any part of any game where they looked even slightly intimidated.

His point isn't that we are being intimidated, it's that we are no longer as tough to play against. So in a way he is right
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2014, 06:27 PM   #10
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That's only half the equation, and it wasn't the half he was referring to.

Cherry's point is that the opposition isn't intimidated. And I know some people will mis-interpret (or over-react), and assume he means Broad Street Bully intimidation. But that's not what he means.

He is referring to teams being able to play free and aggressively against the Flames. He is suggesting - and he's absolutely right - that when teams play with their heads up (for lack of a better description) they won't be as able to roll and score at will (like they are now).

He is saying you have to have some size physicality to slow the other team up a bit. And, despite the crowd that thinks it's archaic, I believe he is absolutely right.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #11
Dagger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just how terrified were they if we ended up with the 4th worst record in the league? This is a fallacy.
Dagger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dagger For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #12
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just surprised that some people are still interested in what this irrelevant and confused dinosaur has to say.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #13
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

THis isn't some post I'm making trying to play Devil's Advocate, but I do think the lack of a "presence" is effecting things a little bit. There's certainly been a good share of instances where our guys are getting hurt with rough plays and little to no retaliation.

Bollig either needs to step up for his team mates when crap goes down or put McGrattan back in. At least you know he'll at least wander by the player who did something and let him know that's going to end badly or him if he does something like that again.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:30 PM   #14
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I'm just surprised that some people are still interested in what this irrelevant and confused dinosaur has to say.
Show just a little bit of respect. You don't have to agree with what he says but he is a big piece of Canadian Hockey history.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2014, 06:30 PM   #15
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Flames had zero push back against the Rangers, they dominated us physically. Not saying the Flames were "scared" but the Rangers beat up on us physically (in a legal fashion) and the Flames had no response. Given our make up, while I agree with you it would be much better to be able to play a physical game through our line up, we have almost zero players who do that. Until we do, the Flames might actually benefit from keeping other teams honest via the old way..........
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:32 PM   #16
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

We need a bench clearing brawl to get this team back on track.
Old 12-20-2014, 06:33 PM   #17
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Bollig was the player we thought he'd be, this wouldn't be an issue. I'm not even talking about fighting, or when other teams take liberties against guys Johnny. But you have to admit, right now teams are way too free to do whatever they want. But with guys who like to play a rougher style like Ferland, Smith, Poirier and Bennett in the pipeline, I'm not worried.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2014, 06:39 PM   #18
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Will our goon's beating the opposition goon give Johnny more room to wheel? No. When players take liberties with our stars, we need to push back in kind. We don't seem to have players who will do this. When a Kassian/Bieksa/Burrows hammers a Gaudreau/Hudler/Byron, someone needs to hammer a Sedin. It's as simple as that: if you take liberties with our best players, we will return the favor. You don't need goons to do that, just hard hitters.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rick M. For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2014, 06:42 PM   #19
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've noticed this a few times before, but it seems we are far more likely to play the stick instead of the body on forechecking and back checks. Really wish they would make a point of making contact in these situations. I'll be watching for it a little closer tonight.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 06:42 PM   #20
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames need more guys like Hunter Smith and Michael Ferland on their roster to address this.

Not goons, but physical guys.

Look at the Kings with guys like Dwight King and Jordan Nolan. They can play and be a pain. That's what Cherry is talking about.
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post: