Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #161
Iniggywetrust
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Damn.
Old 12-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #162
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't like to pick on players but I know I am not the only one saying Mason Raymond was terrible vs the Stars. I wasn't really into Raymond's signing bandwagon in the first place. I don't mind him being signed by the Flames but I was too thrilled about how much he signed for. So far in his play this season he's been a dissapointment. He's got a few good games before he gets injured but just bad games after coming back. I thought give him a couple or 3 games after he's back and I am sure he'll get better. Nope. The guy's got speed but not using it. I must have seen glide along a few times vs Stars. I think Hartley should sit him out a game to let him think not to be comfortable out there. I am hoping he starts getting his mojo back.

Glencross. I don't really have any problem with his play but I am hoping he starts shooting more. He seems to be trying to pass more this season. He's got one of the best in the league and he's proven he can score goals. He cannot just rely on getting garbage goals by standing in front of the net. Come on Glennie shoot first pass later.

How about putting the Colborne-Monahan-Hudler line back together. It works very well last season. Have Gaudreau play with Granlund and put Jooris on the wing. So Gaudreau-Granlund-Jooris. I agree on some that if we put Stajan in the lineup, he should centred Glencross and Jones/Raymond/Byron, Bollig-Bouma-Raymond/Jones/Byron (Byron can also play centre on this line).

I am sure the Flames will beat the Canucks tonight to end the losing streak.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:36 AM   #163
underclassman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

[QUOTE=Stay Golden;5057998]I actually thought they would win tonight, nope.
What a flop of a PP, everything was from outside.
Watching 5 on 5 blown chance after blown chance was beyong frustrating.
Hartley should have the entire team shooting on a cut out goalie from the slot and practice doesn't end until they each make 10 goals to drive home his message.
This many opportunities have to be capitalized on

Who would you put on the first PP unit ? I would put Mony , Gaudreau and maybe Jooris or Byron . Don't know at this point , anything is better than nothing !!!!
underclassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 10:45 AM   #164
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO, the best PPs have a guy that will park in front of the net and is good at tip ins. Unfortunately, the Flames really don't have that player.

Without a guy in front, I find that it's too easy to keep a team to the outside and block lanes
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:06 AM   #165
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Highlight of the night for me was Bouma's little shift of truculence.

Not sure why Bollig didn't attack Klingberg after the cheap shot? Is he afraid of getting an instigator?

Rest of the night was a snoozer, Dallas was terrible, their top line mailed it in IMO. Jamie Benn played like Calgary should have just let him score goals. But we still lost, that's alarming. They're a 1 line team and their 1 line didn't do anything.

Last edited by saillias; 12-20-2014 at 11:13 AM.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #166
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
IMO, the best PPs have a guy that will park in front of the net and is good at tip ins. Unfortunately, the Flames really don't have that player.

Without a guy in front, I find that it's too easy to keep a team to the outside and block lanes
Glencross is quite good at deflections, but for some reason our PP strategy isn't built around that attack. Instead they look for a 5-star chance in the slot.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2014, 11:20 AM   #167
scottish_flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

And we laughed at the oilers
scottish_flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #168
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottish_flame View Post
Absolutely we did and we will continue to do so.

It's year 2, come back after 8 and if we're still elbow deep in a rebuild then maybe we can talk.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2014, 11:30 AM   #169
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't understand the wailing and gnashing of teeth. The melodrama sounds like my second ex wife.
They are who we thought they were... unless we were acting like 7 year old girls and believing in fairy tales and fantasyland.
This is a team that lacks high end talent. They will struggle to score. Flames still sit 4th in the league in shooting at 10.2%. This will drop more. Significantly so.
Enjoy the wins, hate the losses (plenty more coming - though the streak ends tonight).
This might be a .500 hockey team. Might. But they have shown significant progression. That is all one could hope/expect from this season.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2014, 11:41 AM   #170
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
Absolutely we did and we will continue to do so.

It's year 2, come back after 8 and if we're still elbow deep in a rebuild then maybe we can talk.
If you're using the logic of 8 years for the Oilers (out of the playoffs) then you have to say that we're on year 5
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 11:45 AM   #171
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottish_flame View Post
And will continue to do so
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2014, 11:50 AM   #172
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
If you're using the logic of 8 years for the Oilers (out of the playoffs) then you have to say that we're on year 5
In 2006, Pronger was traded in the offseason for prospects/picks with Smyth traded at the deadline that same season (2006-07). If you want to talk like Lowe, you can refer to trading your best players for picks as "chasing the dream", but in actuality it's rebuilding.

Flames traded Iginla at the 2013 trade deadline.

I think you are off on your maths.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2014, 02:31 PM   #173
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

At least Gaudreau and Monohan don't suck. The important pieces of our future offense are still trending positively.

Literally everyone else is garbage. Maybe we gave Brodie too much credit which is worrisome cause he was our only bright spot on the Defense long term. We really need to fix that. Unless it McDavid, I say screw BPA and take a defenseman or this rebuild might get ugly.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #174
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
At least Gaudreau and Monohan don't suck. The important pieces of our future offense are still trending positively.

Literally everyone else is garbage. Maybe we gave Brodie too much credit which is worrisome cause he was our only bright spot on the Defense long term. We really need to fix that. Unless it McDavid, I say screw BPA and take a defenseman or this rebuild might get ugly.
...You're letting a 7 game slide (and I personally think Brodie has been getting better in the last few games), undo the last 1.5 seasons of positive trending for Brodie?

Always draft BPA. It's not like we're filled to the brim with high-end players.

Patience.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2014, 03:02 PM   #175
Day Tripper
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Unless it McDavid, I say screw BPA and take a defenseman or this rebuild might get ugly.
...or Eichel.
Day Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Day Tripper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2014, 10:17 AM   #176
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

I agree with this part. I always find some consolation in a loss if our young guys are able to produce. The team was over achieving to start the year. We're neither as bad as we've been this losing streak nor as good as we were to start the year. As long as I see progression in our young players I am happy. As its been said this is year 2 of the rebuild. Let's just be happy that there are still a lot of positives with the team this early on in the rebuild.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hackey For This Useful Post:
Old 12-21-2014, 10:36 AM   #177
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

OOPS: I meant to put this in the Vancouver post-game thread.

Last edited by Rick M.; 12-21-2014 at 12:04 PM.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote