Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2017, 09:46 PM   #2061
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If Wideman doesn't waive his NMC, the flames can't demote him to the AHL. But can they move to terminate his contract in order to free up cap space?
Old 02-21-2017, 09:47 PM   #2062
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GullFoss View Post
If Wideman doesn't waive his NMC, the flames can't demote him to the AHL. But can they move to terminate his contract in order to free up cap space?
No, that has to be mutual.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:47 PM   #2063
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
You can't terminate a contract unless both sides agree to it.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:55 PM   #2064
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
I think I see the confusion.
I wasn't talking about compounded cap space, we are talking about how when you acquire a player you only acquire the amount owed. Which is why on the daily cap tracker they show the projected cap hit going from $73,282,086 to $73,826,530 with the acquisition of Stone, a difference of $544,444 which would be 50% of the amount remaining.
Old 02-21-2017, 09:59 PM   #2065
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Think so, but never sure exactly how LTIR works. Iginla has just under 1.4 left in the season on his cap hit, Flames have over 2.8 with LTIR space. More once you jettison one of the 23man roster to make room.
I think the LTIR space diminishes at the same rate as full year salary would. So the flames only have 0.7m of LTIR space. I suppose if the Avs retain 50% of salary though, it all works out.

One of the reasons I want Iggy is because he is the best chance for the 2016/17 flames to win a cup. Why? Because, of the energy and momentum he might bring to the room and the city. The whole city will be abuzz the moment the trade hits. The saddledome will be loud. The energy will be everywhere. It will be contagious. And it could start a chain reaction, just like 2004. Players might feed off the energy and win, and then fans will feed off the results. And it can go around and around in a virtuous cycle. Ride the high. Ride the wave.

Its worth a shot; crazier things have happened.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GullFoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2017, 10:02 PM   #2066
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

In case anyone is interested in tracking the Flames bonus overages for next season.

Tkachuk is projected to earn $425k by reaching 2 schedule A bonuses (among top 3 forwards in +/- and 35 assists). He may also get another $212.5k if he is named to the All-Rookie team but that seems unlikely with Laine, Matthews, and Marner.

Bennett is projected to earn $212.5k by reaching 1 schedule A bonus (among top 6 forwards in ice time)

So unless Treliving frees up cap space the Flames will likely have a bonus overage of about 637.5k for next season (and assuming Treliving doesn't bring in another player that has bonuses due like Vrbata).

Freeing up cap space to avoid the bonus overage may also be another goal in moving Wideman.

Last edited by sureLoss; 02-21-2017 at 10:10 PM. Reason: math off
Old 02-21-2017, 10:26 PM   #2067
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Larsson left the Oilers/Lightning game in the 3rd after playing 56 seconds and never returned. If he is out any length of time, the Oilers will be going hard after 1 or 2 more Dmen.
Old 02-21-2017, 10:37 PM   #2068
GullFoss
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Larsson left the Oilers/Lightning game in the 3rd after playing 56 seconds and never returned. If he is out any length of time, the Oilers will be going hard after 1 or 2 more Dmen.
Is it happening? Tired talbot + injured defensemen = begining of the spiral!?!?!?!?!?

I wonder if theyll be on the look out for defensemen. I heard wideman is available for a 2nd
Old 02-21-2017, 10:47 PM   #2069
Racki
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Is it happening? Tired talbot + injured defensemen = begining of the spiral!?!?!?!?!?
Wouldn't it be great to see them go into a tailspin here and just miss the playoffs? Man would that be fun!
Old 02-21-2017, 11:22 PM   #2070
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Honestly Talbot and McDavid are much of the reason for that team's competitiveness. The system and culture is better but in terms of personnel, they are everything for that club, the two biggest game breakers.

If that leads to making things harder on Talbot and he cracks under the extra work, they're done. They're not missing playoffs but the team is one fatigued player away from a swift exit.

You can't be more top-heavy than the Oilers this season. They're not a team that wins by committee. After McDavid to Leon is a 15 point drop (!), then it drops off 17 points (!!) to the next highest contributor on the team. It's actually crazy how much 1-2 guys are boosting an otherwise mediocre team.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:38 PM   #2071
Lord Carnage
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

Thanks for that Sureloss... linking that explanation finally filled in the gaps for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-22-2017, 01:34 AM   #2072
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://thehockeywriters.com/trade-de...anadian-teams/

Article predicts the Flames trade Dougie Hamilton, Brian Elliott, Oliver Kylington, and Freddie Hamilton for the Lightnings Ben Bishop(contract negotiated), Filppula, and an AHL Dman. I can't believe a "hockey" website would publish such trash.
Old 02-22-2017, 06:05 AM   #2073
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Hah, that's a horrible, horrible trade.

Kylington and Hamilton are the two best pieces in the trade, and the Flames are giving them both up.

Old 02-22-2017, 06:07 AM   #2074
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post

Article predicts the Flames trade Dougie Hamilton, Brian Elliott, Oliver Kylington, and Freddie Hamilton for the Lightnings Ben Bishop(contract negotiated), Filppula, and an AHL Dman. I can't believe a "hockey" website would publish such trash.
It's written by an Oiler fan. He also admits he's full of crap. Nothing to see here.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2017, 09:39 AM   #2075
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beninho View Post

He must have overheard some guy eating lunch.
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2017, 09:55 AM   #2076
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

With all this Wideman talk, easy to forget James Wisniewski is sitting in the AHL waiting for a NHL team to give him a chance:

http://news.nationalpost.com/sports/...ies-of-the-nhl

He would sign for cheap and have 0 acquisition cost. The only downside for any team looking at him is that he would need to clear waivers to sign a NHL deal as he played in Europe after the start of the regular season.

Given that he is with the Blues affiliate, seems like he might be a plan to help offset the loss of Shattenkirk

Last edited by sureLoss; 02-22-2017 at 09:57 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2017, 10:10 AM   #2077
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its been said before but I will say it again,

sureLoss, your news breaking and trade rumour posts are what make this site so addictive. Thanks for putting in the time. I look forward to reading all these posts this time of the year.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 02-22-2017, 10:45 AM   #2078
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I may be wrong, but usually there is a big trade around now that makes the actual deadline a bit slow/less exciting. Hopefully we get some action soon!
Old 02-22-2017, 11:25 AM   #2079
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

@mattsekeres: My understanding is that Jannik Hansen was scheduled to provide his trade-approved list of 8 teams to the #Canucks last night.
Old 02-22-2017, 12:41 PM   #2080
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

Haha a player of Jannik Hansen's calibre has a NTC and has to provide a trade approved list.

Closed Thread