Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2016, 08:18 PM   #61
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
Greg Oden is like the Nail Yakupov of the NBA. Pretty sure that if I have an NHL player and he's being compared in any way to Yakupov he's probably not very good.

I don't mind the idea of signing a guy who needs some work or some luck to turn himself around -- kind of like when the Flames got Colborne. It's just crazy to me that a player like that is worth $6 million in the NBA.
Say whaaa? The guy didn't play because of his terrible knees. We'll never know if he was good or not because his health was always an issue.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2016, 08:41 PM   #62
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college...e89046547.html

It appears Fred Van Vleet has made an impression.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:13 PM   #63
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Pats View Post
Depends what you mean by project. He is one only in the sense that he has some weight issues. The guy can flat out play IF he had it together. Rebounds on both ends, plays at least average defense. Not much offense but at least he can hit like the 10-15 footer so JV could plunk himself underneath and he can pass it into to him. His passing is pretty good.
You just described a project.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 11:57 PM   #64
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sullinger's work ethics has held him back. He was once projected to be a top 5 pick in his draft year. The talent is there.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 04:29 AM   #65
Trojan97
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
Sullinger's work ethics has held him back. He was once projected to be a top 5 pick in his draft year. The talent is there.
Alot of that was due to him being medically redflagged because of his knee(s) prior to the draft. There's no denying his laziness tho, being out of shape is one thing but being out of shape when you knowingly have bad knees that could end your career at anytime is an entirely different level.

With that said, for 5.6 mil this may be the best signing of the offseason IMO. That roster is going to be absolutely loaded next year. Just ridiculous depth.

Last edited by Trojan97; 07-13-2016 at 07:08 AM.
Trojan97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:22 PM   #66
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
You just described a project.
Not what I think of when the word project is used. Bruno is a project. Two more years from being two years away. Sully has already started in the league. He isn't some hopeful that may get there talent wise with a lot of work on his game. The guy has game. He also likes the occasional triple cheeseburger with extra large fries and a super sized coke. Chase that with maybe a few beers and some nachos. Then after that he needs to think about what he is going to have for lunch!
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 02:02 PM   #67
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He looked to be in considerably better shape at the press conference today.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 10:04 PM   #68
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Pats View Post
Not what I think of when the word project is used. Bruno is a project. Two more years from being two years away. Sully has already started in the league. He isn't some hopeful that may get there talent wise with a lot of work on his game. The guy has game. He also likes the occasional triple cheeseburger with extra large fries and a super sized coke. Chase that with maybe a few beers and some nachos. Then after that he needs to think about what he is going to have for lunch!
IMO a project is someone you take who's going to be ineffective early on, but has a long-term upside that makes him worth investing the time and money on. Given that Sully is on a one-year contract and the Raptors are a capped out team going forward with no bird rights to retain him, this is all about what Sully can do for them right now. Definitely not a project.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:41 AM   #69
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
He looked to be in considerably better shape at the press conference today.
Yes he did. Plus he said his only offseason goal was to get in better shape.
St. Pats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 03:15 PM   #70
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fred VanVleet signed after an impressive showing at NBA Summer League.

Quote:
The Toronto Raptors announced Monday they have signed guard Fred VanVleet to a multi-year contract. Per team policy, financial terms of the deal were not disclosed.
http://www.nba.com/raptors/press-rel...anvleet-071816

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Drake For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2016, 10:32 AM   #71
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anyone else seeing these rumors about Toronto trading for Blake Griffin (Package containing Demarre Carroll and Patrick Patterson). Seems too good to be true.
Old 07-20-2016, 10:38 AM   #72
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Seeing rumors where? Have not seen any legitimate Griffin rumors to the Raps, and certainly not for that package.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 10:44 AM   #73
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt Masai is stupid enough to trade for Blake Griffin. Blake is a UFA after the season and is already being strongly linked to OKC to team up with Westbrook. Lowry is due a massive raise next year as well so it makes resigning Blake very difficult. It'd basically be a one year gamble to win it all, giving up the team's depth in the process. Not worth it.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:08 AM   #74
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.morningnewsusa.com/nba-ru...s-2391054.html

Couple sources out there. I like it, the current roster is not going to get it done. I like Carroll and Prince Patrick but them being on this team or not being on this team will not make or break the Raptors.

If they can somehow figure out a way to keep to him beyond next year that will bring more legitimacy to the North.

Starting lineup of Lowry-DeRozen-Powell-Griffin-JV looks better. Sullinger replaces Prince Patrick. Ross would need to step up and be consistent for once. Bruno/Bebe/Poeltl will have to back up JV.

Go for it.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:56 AM   #75
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
Seeing rumors where? Have not seen any legitimate Griffin rumors to the Raps, and certainly not for that package.
Google it. It's out there. Griffin in the East would be a beast, assuming he recovers.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:57 AM   #76
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
http://www.morningnewsusa.com/nba-ru...s-2391054.html

Couple sources out there. I like it, the current roster is not going to get it done. I like Carroll and Prince Patrick but them being on this team or not being on this team will not make or break the Raptors.

If they can somehow figure out a way to keep to him beyond next year that will bring more legitimacy to the North.

Starting lineup of Lowry-DeRozen-Powell-Griffin-JV looks better. Sullinger replaces Prince Patrick. Ross would need to step up and be consistent for once. Bruno/Bebe/Poeltl will have to back up JV.

Go for it.

I'm all for getting rid of the Carroll contract. Not that I think he's a bad player, but it's a big hit in a cap world and it kind of constricts the Raps going forward with Lowry and Derozan's deals.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:04 PM   #77
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

And considering there are multiple reports his knee is a mess and he may never be the same, just another reason to avoid. Besides a package based around Carroll and Patterson is nowhere near good enough. The Clippers will want younger, cheaper, better players. I'm guessing their asking price starts at Poeltl and Powell, which makes it a non-stater.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:20 PM   #78
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

^Giving up youth only will not work salary cap wise anyways. Carroll and or Prince Patrick would have to go the other way. Raptors have young players/picks they can part with to add on to the deal.

At the end of the day, they're not winning the championship with or without Griffin but would be cool to have a star up here.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:22 PM   #79
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It'd be cool for the 40 games he plays before he bolts. Thankfully Masai is maybe the smartest GM in the league and would never consider such a mistake.
Old 07-20-2016, 12:26 PM   #80
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
Google it. It's out there. Griffin in the East would be a beast, assuming he recovers.
Thanks, I've Googled it. Read to me like a suggestion vs actual sourced rumor.
howard_the_duck is offline   Reply With Quote