Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-10-2017, 04:31 PM   #281
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Those actually look kinda cool. But holy ####. $1.57M? That's insane. Someone's walking around with $1.5M in their pocket.
Yes, the company that built it now has $1.5M cash in their pocket because they are geniuses and figured out how to build this massive structure without any costs at all.
RM14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:32 PM   #282
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually like those and can get behind them (the dump ones, not the dumpy rusted ones)

I guess I only really get mad at art I don't like? I don't think I really care enough about it I guess. Money is wasted in government everywhere.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:39 PM   #283
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Why, Cliff? Do you really believe that a nine-person Public Art Board of politically-connected appointees have a substantially better taste and wisdom than general population? You are by far one of the more-reasoned posters here than many. I am genuinely curious, where is such distrust in people rooted?
I don't distrust anyone. I just think with anything as subjective as art, any given installation is going to be hated by a pretty good proportion of people. As long as we keep requisitioning new pieces, there is going to be periodic outrage when a particularly high-profile piece draws the hate. There isn't any way around it.

I don't hear outrage from other cities about their public art (though it may be confined to local news and I just don't hear about it). I assume in other cities people just accept that every couple years there will be a high-profile piece a lot of people hate and it doesn't become a political issue.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:39 PM   #284
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Those actually look kinda cool. But holy ####. $1.57M? That's insane. Someone's walking around with $1.5M in their pocket.
You just won weirdest comment of the thread.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:00 PM   #285
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I don't distrust anyone. I just think with anything as subjective as art, any given installation is going to be hated by a pretty good proportion of people. As long as we keep requisitioning new pieces, there is going to be periodic outrage when a particularly high-profile piece draws the hate. There isn't any way around it.

I don't hear outrage from other cities about their public art (though it may be confined to local news and I just don't hear about it). I assume in other cities people just accept that every couple years there will be a high-profile piece a lot of people hate and it doesn't become a political issue.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...-art-1.2617828

http://montrealgazette.com/news/loca...-seeing-orange

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/montreal-...-art-1.2494118

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2015/09/1...the-talus-dome

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...article626419/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toront...dapl-1.4091529

http://montreal.ctvnews.ca/new-lasal...cism-1.3048005

http://www.timescolonist.com/news/lo...lder-1.2013525

http://vancouversun.com/news/local-n...-controversial
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 05:20 PM   #286
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Nenshi weighs in, tries to defend the art council that approved this by saying the reaction is something like a "public lynch mob".

Course, he was more than happy to be part of the 'lynch mob' with the blue circle - probably because (as he noted) that council pre-dated his tenure as mayor.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 05:26 PM   #287
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
... just think with anything as subjective as art, any given installation is going to be hated by a pretty good proportion of people. As long as we keep requisitioning new pieces, there is going to be periodic outrage when a particularly high-profile piece draws the hate. There isn't any way around it. ...
I agree. So, because the opinions vary wildly, and because the decision is so subjective and truly unjustifiable, and because the public outcry is warranted, would it not be most sensible to let the public voting decide on the winner?
Old 08-10-2017, 05:26 PM   #288
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Nenshi weighs in, tries to defend the art council that approved this by saying the reaction is something like a "public lynch mob".

Course, he was more than happy to be part of the 'lynch mob' with the blue circle - probably because (as he noted) that council pre-dated his tenure as mayor.

I read that earlier and just shook my head.

The guy just can't help himself at times. I mean really Naheed? People don't like the art and are being vocal about it, and you analogize that to being a group of people that want to hunt someone down and kill them without a trial?

My favorite part is when he was defending the committee that approved this by saying "they worked really hard though" ...like that should somehow erase the gaudiness and ridculousness of what was actually presented.

His purpleness is a petty putz at times.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:30 PM   #289
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

How typically sleazy.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zarley For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 05:47 PM   #290
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
You never, ever, ever let people vote on things like that.

Letting the public at large vote is how we got 'Vote for Rory' and John Scott at the All-Star game.
Those are not actually examples of letting the public vote on what they like. Those are examples of asking the internet for suggestions. It's a pretty different thing.

Besides, a whole lot of people agree that John Scott was the most interesting thing about that All-Star game. Just because you don't agree doesn't mean it was the wrong choice. More importantly, if the public had gone with a less controversial choice, nobody would have cared or remembered.

Heck, if you want to go with the "what art is supposed to do" thing, the selection of John Scott easily filled all sorts of boxes. It was provocative, surprising and raised a lot of discussion on what the All-Star game is. Without it I would never have known that some people actually take the All-Star game seriously enough to argue that the choice of a non-star player somehow "cheapened" it.

I'd also like to bring up likely the most famous example of internet voting recently, 'Boaty McBoatface', the suggestion that was overruled by a committee that preferred to go with 'Attenborough'.

Public would have gone with something more funny, memorable and recognizable. Had that polar exploration ship been called Boaty McBoatface, it would instantly have had a fan following, thus likely increasing the visibility of the the research done on the ship.

Instead they went with 'Attenborough', and now nobody cares.

Quote:
Most expansion teams held a fan vote for names, you know how many stuck with what the fans voted for? None.
...so instead we get a team called "Golden Knights", which is just a pretty bad name. (To begin with, it's too many words combined with a city name that already has two words.) Not exactly a compelling argument

Quote:
I'm amazed we're allowed to vote for politicians.
Non-democratic systems tend to be lead by even worse people than democratic ones.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 05:47 PM   #291
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I like Nenshi but I dont understand this attitude to make everything seem like something else.

"Wont someone please think about the children!!"

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:36 PM   #292
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, those sentinels are striking and beautiful in a way. More attractive than the road-side piece (partially cause they're not on the side of a road). Expensive though

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnyB For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 06:42 PM   #293
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Also.. some where poking fun at the "Unlock" piece on 17th, and while I agree it isn't anything original it's actually pretty neat.
Spoiler!

https://i.redditmedia.com/mnetBXFfLG...tJ0.jpg?w=576&
(taken from reddit)

Will look quite stroking and provide a nice anecdote for locals and visitors.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 06:48 PM   #294
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post

Will look quite stroking and provide a nice anecdote for locals and visitors.
"Bertha, you just wouldn't believe it! They allow sexual groping and fondling right out there in public in that there city. I do declare!"
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:53 PM   #295
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
There are like 2 pieces of art in this entire City that people almost unanimously hate, the Blue Circle and now our Welded Rocks. Maybe 3 if you want to count the Peace Bridge, but its also a bridge and serves to move people from one side of the river to the other in addition to its artistic purposes.

That is FAR from unanimous.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:48 PM   #296
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Apparently Sean Chu will be tabling a motion in council to freeze spending on public art until they come up with a "better" policy to move forward with.

We will see how that goes over.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:42 PM   #297
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

So as it turns out, Chu is just re-tabling a motion that Peter Demong already put in front of council that was voted down.

http://www.calgary.ca/citycouncil/wa...t-Funding.aspx

I suspect it will be passed this time and they see a reform to the art policy.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:31 PM   #298
Drummer
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Public "Art"

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99
by saying "they worked really hard though" ...

From Christmas Vacation,,, "So do washing machines"
Drummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:09 PM   #299
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mayor posted this statement tonight. Which is a lot less hasty than the response in the Charter press conference.

http://calgarymayor.ca/stories/mayor...bowfort-towers

Quote:
MAYOR NENSHI ON "BOWFORT TOWERS"

Post Date: Thursday, August 10, 2017

There's been much discussion about piece of public art that is being installed as part of the $71.7 million Trans Canada Highway / Bowfort Road NW Interchange project. The following is Mayor Naheed Nenshi's statement about this project and his support for changes to the way public art is selected at The City of Calgary:

"When I heard about the Bowfort Towers last week, I have to admit that my first thought was 'just once, can't it be a statue of a historical figure on a horse', but I don't get to decide that.

"For the past few days, I’ve been listening intently to this debate.

"I understand that City Administration followed all the applicable policies. The artist was chosen from an open competition by a panel of seven people, which includes six citizen volunteers. In accordance with the City's Indigenous Policy Framework, engagement with the Indigenous community was undertaken with a Blackfoot traditional knowledge keeper who is an expert in archeology and culture. Our Indigenous protocols are not about politician to politician consultation, rather they are about engagement with the traditional knowledge keepers as recommended by the Calgary Aboriginal Urban Affairs Committee.

"But I want to figure out how we wound up with art that many people don't like. The changes we made in 2014 to our Public Art Policy were designed to get more public input, but clearly it hasn't worked and we need to do better.

"I’ll refrain from commenting on the aesthetics of this project, particularly when it’s not complete.

"I don’t believe politicians should be responsible for selecting public art. We do need to find ways to get our citizens more engaged in selecting public art and I will support such changes. I look forward to seeing what my Council colleagues bring to the floor of Council in September.

"But really, sometimes statues of a guy or a gal on a horse can be really nice."
Old 08-11-2017, 06:37 AM   #300
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

So in other words, Nenshi took the temperature of the citizenship after making the outrageous and greatly exaggerated "lynch mob" comments and figured he better at least appear to be listening to the people?

He is a politician through and through now, no question about that.