Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-03-2017, 12:21 AM   #241
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

My son has flown several times and the key is to keep them from getting bored. Their favourite movie is a great start, but throw in something new like a game they haven't played before.

Nobody will judge you for using sleep-inducing drugs either. Gravol works for most kids.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 03:25 AM   #242
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are the laws in Alberta regarding rear vs forward facing child seats? I"m taking my 10 month old to Calgary in a few weeks. I was planning on keeping her rear facing but we are relying on others for rides so I don't necessarily want to make a fuss if the car seat shows up front facing.

Here they must be in rear until 6 months and it is recommended until they become too big. I recently noticed a picture posted by a friend in Alberta showing their 1 month old front facing however so am wondering if the laws are different there.
Old 08-05-2017, 04:15 AM   #243
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not sure about the laws but don't understand why anyone would have their one month old front facing when it's been scientifically proven rear facing is more safe.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:56 AM   #244
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://myhealth.alberta.ca/alberta/...uidelines.aspx

Looks like rear facing should be until age 2.

In Ontario you have to have them rear facing until 1 year and 22 lbs but they recommend till they grow out of the seat height and weight limits.

I've never heard of a one month old forward facing, that's nuts.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 07:17 AM   #245
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
First flight with our 2 year old in a few days. Any tips for flying with toddlers?
We have planned:
-iPad
-Stickers
-Colouring/Drawing pad
-Snacks
-iPad
...putting blind faith into him taking a nap at some point too

Any other pro-tips?
Benadryl. Try it ahead of time to make sure your kid isn't one of the few who it makes hyper rather than knocks out...

With the snacks make sure there is something they can chew/suck on during take off and landing so their ears pop.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:05 AM   #246
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
What are the laws in Alberta regarding rear vs forward facing child seats? I"m taking my 10 month old to Calgary in a few weeks. I was planning on keeping her rear facing but we are relying on others for rides so I don't necessarily want to make a fuss if the car seat shows up front facing.

Here they must be in rear until 6 months and it is recommended until they become too big. I recently noticed a picture posted by a friend in Alberta showing their 1 month old front facing however so am wondering if the laws are different there.
Laws are federal, but you should follow the instructions on the car seat. We didn't put our kids in forward facing seats until they were almost 2.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:35 AM   #247
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:
Thumbs up

We flipped my first around to forward facing probably around 10 months. That's earlier than recommended but he's a big kid and HATED facing backwards at that point. 1 month is way too early though.
OutOfTheCube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 08:44 AM   #248
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I was out of town for work this week and my son was finally starting to make eye contact and smile at my wife. Sucks that I missed it, but when I came home and held him he had this look of confusion then recognition on his face followed by a huge smile and then a couple more. It was one of the most incredible feelings of my life. Now I just sit and watch him stare at the sheep flying over him in his swing.
Old 08-05-2017, 11:10 AM   #249
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:

1 month is way too early. Their neck can't handle a sudden stop at that age. The guidance we were told is 1) follow the manufacturer instructions and 2) walking on their own (more sturdy neck muscles. Switching around a car seat is easy. I wouldn't worry about making a fuss when it comes to safety.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 11:13 AM   #250
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Thanks for the flight tips guys. calf jr was amazing. Timing meant he didn't get his nap, but iPad movies and tons of snacks kept him busy and happy. Slept on our car ride to the cottage and he even went to sleep after we got there. Hopefully it works on the way home too!
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2017, 01:47 PM   #251
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:

If a kid is less than 18kg they have to be in a child restraint that complies with Transport Canada regs and then you are bound to follow the manufacturer requirements...see section 82:

https://www.canlii.org/en/ab/laws/re...-122-2009.html

So as long as you are using an approved properly installed seat according to manufacturer specs (re positioning and height and weight of your kid) you will be within the law.

That said, nobody should ever hesitate to "make a fuss" about anything that may be unsafe when it comes to your kids riding in a vehicle. I would cancel a trip in a heartbeat before rolling the dice on something that didn't seem right for one of my kids car seats. I have had the experience of getting an unexpected call to drive 2 hours and pick my wife and kids up at an RCMP station after they were hit head-on by a drunk driver.

Note - I picked them up at the RCMP station and not the hospital or funeral home which would simply not have been the case if the kids were not in properly installed car seats. We kept our kids rear facing as long as possible and then the full harnesses as long as possible and then booster seats as long as possible. I suppose some people chuckle behind our backs about being safety freaks. I could not care less.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MBates For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2017, 01:57 PM   #252
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

If I saw someone with a one month old in a forward facing seat, I would call the cops and stop them from leaving the parking lot.

Kids need the rear facing until their necks are strong enough to protect their head in an accident. That doesn't happen until a year at least.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 04:22 PM   #253
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Law is 12 months and 22lbs.

Recommendations is 2 or 3 years and as high of weight as the seat is good for.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 05:06 PM   #254
snootchiebootchies
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBates View Post
We kept our kids rear facing as long as possible and then the full harnesses as long as possible and then booster seats as long as possible. I suppose some people chuckle behind our backs about being safety freaks. I could not care less.
Same here. We kept them rear facing as long as possible. At some point though, their legs just become too long to keep them scrunched up in a rear-facing seat. I forget when we switched over our first to forward facing but our second was about 2 years and 8 months old when we finally switched him over.
snootchiebootchies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:26 PM   #255
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

We just followed the labels on the car seat, once he got to 26 pounds (12 months) we switched him around. He's wwwaaayyyy better in the car on longer drives now. Still would wait though, for the next kid. What a stupid thing to risk your kids safety on.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2017, 06:55 PM   #256
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

On the car seats, although there's no law about them, I definitely recommenced a booster seat once your little one has grown out of a full car seat. Something about having the seatbelt against their neck just doesn't work for me
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 08:12 AM   #257
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
On the car seats, although there's no law about them, I definitely recommenced a booster seat once your little one has grown out of a full car seat. Something about having the seatbelt against their neck just doesn't work for me
http://www.mifold.ca/en/what-is-mifold
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:44 PM   #258
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

My newborn son arrived on Aug 3rd, and reading this thread made me realize how much I have to cherish every moment with my son. Soon he'll be 18 and I'll look back wondering where did the time go. Thanks everyone
I'm not even upset with the lack of sleep anymore.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TheyCallMeBruce For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2017, 10:54 PM   #259
flamesrule14
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So due date was today. Nothing is happening at the moment. Anticipation is killing us. This week has been really long and the wife and I both want this over with. Hopefully the little one decides to come soon!

Love reading this thread just can't wait.
flamesrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 11:03 PM   #260
nickerjones
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesrule14 View Post
So due date was today. Nothing is happening at the moment. Anticipation is killing us. This week has been really long and the wife and I both want this over with. Hopefully the little one decides to come soon!

Love reading this thread just can't wait.
ughhh that's the worst. The doctor told us our baby was definitely coming early. Due date was March 30th. They told us on March on 13th the baby would be here in the next two days for sure..... The baby came 6 days late. The 2 + weeks of it could happen at any moment was terrifying and exciting at the same time.