Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-30-2016, 09:52 AM   #61
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what happens when I toss non compostable items into the green bin? Do they sort it out after? Not gonna lie, I'd try to use the green bin, but like the blue, if I accidentally mix non compostable or non recyclable stuff in, I don't ever really sweat it.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:52 AM   #62
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
can sawdust go into a green bin?
I think so, since you can put branches, and pet bedding.

http://www.calgary.ca/UEP/WRS/Pages/...reen-Cart.aspx
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 09:56 AM   #63
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

If they really want to reduce what goes into the landfill, why not start accepting Styrofoam that is accepted in other city's recycling programs?
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 09:58 AM   #64
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
If they really want to reduce what goes into the landfill, why not start accepting Styrofoam that is accepted in other city's recycling programs?
I put a LOT more organic waste into my black bin than I do Styrofoam.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:58 AM   #65
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

My issue with all of these programs is how much can I pay not to do it?

Assess the full externalities of all of the costs (methane emissions, capital land fill costs, etc) then give me a price not to do it so I can gladly pay it. For the Blue Bins it would be cheaper not to do it. The green bins might make sense but again how much do I have to pay not to do it should be an option.

If everytime we add a bin our costs go up, something is wrong, either we weren't paying enough for garbage disposal in which case our fees should have been higher previously or this is a bad idea.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 09:59 AM   #66
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

I clearly am not worrying about enough things in my life.
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 10:02 AM   #67
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post

Assess the full externalities of all of the costs (methane emissions, capital land fill costs, etc) then give me a price not to do it so I can gladly pay it. For the Blue Bins it would be cheaper not to do it. The green bins might make sense but again how much do I have to pay not to do it should be an option.

If everytime we add a bin our costs go up, something is wrong, either we weren't paying enough for garbage disposal in which case our fees should have been higher previously or this is a bad idea.
I don't follow the logic here. Why would adding a bin (new service) not make the cost go up? If I have cable and internet with Shaw and I add phone my cost goes up.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:03 AM   #68
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I don't follow the logic here. Why would adding a bin (new service) not make the cost go up? If I have cable and internet with Shaw and I add phone my cost goes up.
I think the main point is if this is supposed to be more efficient for the City then the costs should actually decrease...unless the sole reason we are doing this is environmental, and if that's the case then there needs to be more clarity on the main purpose.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:04 AM   #69
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
I think the main point is if this is supposed to be more efficient for the City then the costs should actually decrease...unless the sole reason we are doing this is environmental, and if that's the case then there needs to be more clarity on the main purpose.
Well they had to construct a new facility to deal with the compost, it's not like they just throw it in the landfill and let it decompose.

New facility, upkeep, wages. It all costs money.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:05 AM   #70
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm a stingy, cheap b####### but even I think that the green bins is a great idea.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:08 AM   #71
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

The idea is okay but these bins take up a good footprint in a city where lot size is already very small.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 10:09 AM   #72
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also where is the argument coming from that it's more 'efficient', I'm pretty sure the reason they have said all along was to reduce the amount of waste in the landfill. When I hear that I don't think it's to reduce costs, I think it's because it's better for the environment.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:10 AM   #73
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

to me paying to opt out would be administratively complex for the city.

out of curiousity, why would you want to pay to opt out of the program. do you not like recycling stuff. would you like to see the city buy more landfills?

Quote:

Old 05-30-2016, 10:12 AM   #74
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Well they had to construct a new facility to deal with the compost, it's not like they just throw it in the landfill and let it decompose.

The question is if it isn't in the long run cheaper once all externalities are considered. Why are we doing it?

If all of those things you listed only provide "feeling better about ourselves" as a benefit we shouldn't do it.

The price of methane emission is a bit of a wild card but outside of that Landfill costs and volumes are known so it should be quite easy to produce a time value of money calc to show this is a net benefit to the city.

If it doesn't save the city money it shouldn't be done.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:15 AM   #75
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

And that new bio facility will be selling the resulting compost and fertilizer at a (presumed) profit. We are providing feedstock to that facility, and the city will charge you for the transport of said feedstock.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 10:17 AM   #76
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Also where is the argument coming from that it's more 'efficient', I'm pretty sure the reason they have said all along was to reduce the amount of waste in the landfill. When I hear that I don't think it's to reduce costs, I think it's because it's better for the environment.
How is it better for the environment? In theory you reduce methane emissions by composting, if so price it in.

A landfill on its own, is not bad for the environment. We have lots of space to put stuff in landfills. Trucking costs increase as they get further away from the city and they are costly to run but there is nothing environmentally damaging about a landfill that is designed properly.

http://mie.esab.upc.es/ms/informacio...composting.pdf

Havent read this completely, just googled and read the summary but it states that it doesn't make economic sense to do it yet. Not sure how they factor environmental considerations.

Last edited by GGG; 05-30-2016 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-30-2016, 10:19 AM   #77
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
When I hear this it makes it sound like 90% of household garbage can go into blue or green bins.
The vast majority of my garbage is dirty diapers, another bin won't change a thing. And now I get to hold on to them for two weeks at a time, that will be fun in the summer.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Handsome B. Wonderful For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 10:21 AM   #78
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The question is if it isn't in the long run cheaper once all externalities are considered. Why are we doing it?

If all of those things you listed only provide "feeling better about ourselves" as a benefit we shouldn't do it.

The price of methane emission is a bit of a wild card but outside of that Landfill costs and volumes are known so it should be quite easy to produce a time value of money calc to show this is a net benefit to the city.

If it doesn't save the city money it shouldn't be done.
Yeah we aren't going to agree on this topic. I'm willing to spend the $6.50 if it's better for the environment in the long run, regardless if it's cheaper or not.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2016, 10:21 AM   #79
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

All I care about are the practicalities. Presumably, you can't use bags in these things. So what do you scrape your food, etc, into? And I'll just throw dog crap directly into the green bin too, with no bag? Do these bins ever get cleaned?
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 10:22 AM   #80
Simon96Taco
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

When is the whole city going to get these things?
Simon96Taco is offline   Reply With Quote