Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-23-2017, 11:21 AM   #541
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I see the orange buffoon used an executive order to withdraw from TPP today effectively killing the pact for everyone else...

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...-agenda-234040

... in fairness it was pretty much headed for death anyways but it's still a disappointment.
Apparently Senator McCain went ape s### over that decision.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:25 AM   #542
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KelVarnsen View Post
Donald Trump Reinstates Ronald Reagan’s Abortion ‘Global Gag Rule’

It bars international health organizations that receive U.S. funding from mentioning abortion as a family planning option.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b070d8cad1f774
Well thats....substantially regressive...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 11:26 AM   #543
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeBruce View Post
Apparently Senator McCain went ape s### over that decision.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 01-23-2017, 11:32 AM   #544
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I see the orange buffoon used an executive order to withdraw from TPP today effectively killing the pact for everyone else...

http://www.politico.com/story/2017/0...-agenda-234040

... in fairness it was pretty much headed for death anyways but it's still a disappointment.
The Federal Hiring Freeze makes a degree of sense though, if its done intelligently....I cant believe I even just said that.

Le sigh...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 01-23-2017, 11:36 AM   #545
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
Its the same people that want O'leary to take over the PCs in Canada that love Trumpf.
I am not so sure of that. Friends of mine that like O'LEary did not like Trump and vise versa. The Conspiracy nutjobs of our country are probably not voting O'Leary either.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:38 AM   #546
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well thats....substantially regressive...
Yes. Utterly depressing. I swear we won this argument fifteen years ago.

I'm wondering about the timing of this because there was literally no hint that it was coming. Is it a signal, a big "#### you all" in response to the Women's march? Basically, "if you protest, I'll deliberately do things that counteract your agenda"? Or is that reading too much into it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 01-23-2017, 11:41 AM   #547
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post

I'm wondering about the timing of this because there was literally no hint that it was coming. Is it a signal, a big "#### you all" in response to the Women's march? Basically, "if you protest, I'll deliberately do things that counteract your agenda"? Or is that reading too much into it.
They addressed the timing in the article.

Quote:
Since then, the gag rule has been something of a political football, rescinded and reinstated as soon as presidents take office. President Bill Clinton did away with the rule, President George W. Bush reinstated it and then President Barack Obama again revoked it in 2009.

Last edited by cDnStealth; 01-23-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:43 AM   #548
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

Nope, not any more nefarious than the usual GOP playbook.

From 2008:
Quote:
Even on aid to Africa, Bush's claims do not stand up to scrutiny. The president has made foreign aid a priority of his administration, nearly tripling the overall budget for foreign assistance from where it stood in 2000. And many in his administration, like former speechwriter Michael Gerson, as well as aid advocates in Congress, like Kansas Senator Sam Brownback, have increased conservatives' interest in Africa. But the administration has spent much of the aid money on unilaterally created programs that neither learn from existing efforts nor respond effectively to Africans' real needs.

And it shows. One of the White House's major aid initiatives, the President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), has wasted much of its funds on scientifically questionable programs designed to please American religious conservatives. Though studies show that only a comprehensive approach, including condom distribution, sexual education, and antiretrovirals, could reduce HIV, the White House insisted that PEPFAR spend one-third of its behavioral prevention budget on programs that promote abstinence until marriage. It also refused to let PEPFAR money go for programs like needle exchanges and aggressive condom promotion. Recipient nations had to sign an American pledge vowing to oppose prostitution, even though prostitutes are major carriers of HIV in Africa, and signing the pledge could scare PEPFAR recipients out of helping sex workers. Virtually no other major multinational donor agreed with PEPFAR's strategy. Even the administration's own inspector general responsible for overseeing aid couldn't prove that its methods had worked. (As a footnote, Randall Tobias, the administration official responsible for overseeing AIDS programs, including the prostitution pledge, resigned after his number was discovered on the D.C. Madam's infamous call lists.)
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/bushs-ai...l-to-scrutiny/
Old 01-23-2017, 11:45 AM   #549
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2017, 11:47 AM   #550
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Spicer's first real press briefing should be good for a laugh
Old 01-23-2017, 11:47 AM   #551
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got it. Didn't know that. It's still ####ing stupid.

EDIT: Spicer looks super nervous, tripping over his words.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:49 AM   #552
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Got it. Didn't know that. It's still ####ing stupid.
Yep.
Old 01-23-2017, 11:55 AM   #553
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

He just admonished Senate democrats for delaying "clearly qualified" appointments and failing to perform their core function. This, after a year of the GOP delaying a SCOTUS appointment in clear repudiation of their constitutional duty. The balls on this guy.

On the other hand, the whole "Skype seats" thing doesn't give the impression that they're trying to shut out the press, regardless of who those additional organizations that are granted access end up being.

Keystone XL question paraphrase: These are areas where we can increase jobs / economic growth, but won't make a statement ahead of Trump's potential executive actions. Energy sector is an area where Trump is keen to maximize use of natural resources to America's benefit.

EDIT: "Sometimes we might disagree with the facts" is a pretty great quote.

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 01-23-2017 at 12:11 PM.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:07 PM   #554
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

"If we're going to go to invade a country, we're going to take their stuff".

This guy is really good.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:09 PM   #555
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like he's going to build keystone through the Dakotas to carry US oil. Would that still shut out the Canadian market?
Old 01-23-2017, 12:11 PM   #556
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
"If we're going to go to invade a country, we're going to take their stuff".

This guy is really good.

Old 01-23-2017, 12:15 PM   #557
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

This actually started off pretty well, and has now gone totally off the rails. I'm not sure who "Jonathan" is, but they're now in a debate. EDIT: Jonathan Karl?
Old 01-23-2017, 12:15 PM   #558
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sean Spicer: "I will never lie to you

Two minutes later

Sean Spicer: "It was the most watched inaugural ever"
Old 01-23-2017, 12:15 PM   #559
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spicer still whining about yesterday's crowd size nonsense and standing by his blatant lies.
Old 01-23-2017, 12:17 PM   #560
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nah, he moved the goal posts to combined viewership including on the internet and TV.
Closed Thread

Tags
making snl great again , soviet murica? , trade wars , trumpcare = doa , utterly insane pressers