Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-27-2015, 03:15 PM   #361
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Regarding the American cop, the telling thing for me is that he had his hand on his gun before the dog came through the door. He was getting ready to shoot prior to the dog "attacking him." (Assuming the dog was attacking.)
Really? Depending on the situation (why you're at the house) I would think having your hand on your gun is a standard practice for safety's sake. As would having it drawn be, again, depending on the situation.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:10 PM   #362
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Really? Depending on the situation (why you're at the house) I would think having your hand on your gun is a standard practice for safety's sake. As would having it drawn be, again, depending on the situation.
Wasn't it already said that the cop was just there being a nice guy and telling the H/O that her car door was open?

Definitely a good reason to be reaching for his heat before knocking.

How in blue hell Girl Guides ever sold cookies is beyond me.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2015, 11:39 PM   #363
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
So because that guy isn't scared of a dog charging him that means everyone else should have the same reaction?
Yes. Everyone in that same situation should have the same reaction of not shooting the dog.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 12:50 AM   #364
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think the main piece of knowledge being missed is the fact that the officer was coming to the animals den and disrupting it. When an unusual being comes across an animals home the first instinct is to a) be curios and b) protect. I have 2 dogs, if someone approaches the house and knocks on the door my dogs think...wtf? who is intruding on my territory. I also grab both dogs and make sure they can't get outside. The officer should have proper training on how to handle a situation when dogs maybe at the home without shooting them.

On the other hand. Why didnt the dog owner hold her dog back and make sure the officer was safe on her property.

Either way a 210 lb pound officer shooting a 40 lb dog seems ridiculous.

Honestly...this is exactly how I see, in my mind, Sliver handling any dog situation he comes across.

Last edited by Since1984; 10-29-2015 at 12:55 AM.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:38 AM   #365
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is the solution simply to have more dogs?
Old 10-29-2015, 09:08 AM   #366
Frequitude
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Is the solution simply to have more dogs?
The only thing that can protect against a bad guy with a dog is a good guy with a dog.
Frequitude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Frequitude For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2015, 01:02 PM   #367
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/11/us/ala...rge/index.html
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:08 PM   #368
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Charge the mom. Fricken ludicrous.
Old 11-11-2015, 01:15 PM   #369
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Charging an 8 year old is totally ludicrous. Like that kid has any idea what the hell he is doing or at least to the extent of what he did. It's actually a terribly sad situation but the 8 year old is a victim as well. That mom is a horrible person.
Old 11-11-2015, 02:06 PM   #370
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

I knew as soon as I saw this thread bumped, this would be the story.

The mom should definitely be charged. Both the mother of the baby, and the mother of the 8 year old
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 04:51 PM   #371
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...t-yale/414810/

Quote:
Before Halloween, some students complained to them that Yale administrators were offering heavy-handed advice on what Halloween costumes to avoid.

Erika Christakis reflected on the frustrations of the students, drew on her scholarship and career experience, and composed an email inviting the community to think about the controversy through an intellectual lens that few if any had considered. Her message was a model of relevant, thoughtful, civil engagement.

For her trouble, a faction of students are now trying to get the couple removed from their residential positions, which is to say, censured and ousted from their home on campus.
Campuses in the United States (and probably elsewhere, really) have degenerated into a cesspool of morons who don't actually want to think about anything but are anxious to be told what they should think about everything, and then yell obscenities at those who disagree with them. They're violently in favour of every possible kind of diversity except for diversity of thought.

Yes, freedom of ideas IS more important than not offending minorities. This shouldn't be difficult to see. It's really the only thing that's non-negotiable. People are free to be horribly, horribly wrong about things, so that their wrongness can be corrected. If not offending minorities is important, and to some degree it certainly is, then it'll be easy to convince everyone of that importance using ideas. Not censorship or mob rule.

I am really, really starting to despise my own side of the political spectrum. Actually, I'm starting to suspect it's been entirely hijacked at the youth level. It used to be that the conservatives were the ones obsessed with controlling the behaviours of other people - stop sleeping with certain people, stop watching violent TV or playing violent video games, enjoying sex is immoral and you should be pure and nun-like, etc. Now religious justifications for those sorts of authoritarian dicta are out of fashion, so we're going to justify our urge to control other people under the new guise of political correctness or safe spaces or whatever term you'd like to use.

Just shamefully illiberal fascistic behavior.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2015, 08:34 PM   #372
JonDuke
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.thrillist.com/news/natio...ip-in-man-buns
JonDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 01:21 PM   #373
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
UPDATED Nov 14, 2015

SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) — A jury on Friday convicted a California woman of first-degree murder and assault in the microwave oven death of her 1-month-old daughter, rejecting her argument that she was in the midst of a seizure and didn't know what she was doing.

Ka Yang, 34, is facing 26-years-to-life in prison, and she is scheduled to be sentenced in December, the Sacramento County District Attorney's Office said.

Prosecutors say Yang put her daughter, Mirabelle Thao-Lo, in the microwave at her Sacramento-area home for 2½ to 5 minutes in March 2011. The girl suffered what authorities said were extensive thermal injuries.

Yang's attorney, Linda Parisi, said after the verdict that she was disappointed, the Sacramento Bee reported.
http://news.yahoo.com/california-mom...223054117.html
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 01:54 PM   #374
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/...t-yale/414810/

Campuses in the United States (and probably elsewhere, really) have degenerated into a cesspool of morons who don't actually want to think about anything but are anxious to be told what they should think about everything, and then yell obscenities at those who disagree with them. They're violently in favour of every possible kind of diversity except for diversity of thought.

Yes, freedom of ideas IS more important than not offending minorities. This shouldn't be difficult to see. It's really the only thing that's non-negotiable. People are free to be horribly, horribly wrong about things, so that their wrongness can be corrected. If not offending minorities is important, and to some degree it certainly is, then it'll be easy to convince everyone of that importance using ideas. Not censorship or mob rule.

I am really, really starting to despise my own side of the political spectrum. Actually, I'm starting to suspect it's been entirely hijacked at the youth level. It used to be that the conservatives were the ones obsessed with controlling the behaviours of other people - stop sleeping with certain people, stop watching violent TV or playing violent video games, enjoying sex is immoral and you should be pure and nun-like, etc. Now religious justifications for those sorts of authoritarian dicta are out of fashion, so we're going to justify our urge to control other people under the new guise of political correctness or safe spaces or whatever term you'd like to use.

Well said. That's why I made a large donation to Carpay's group. I don't have time for for his religious views, but he is the only one actually fighting the intolerance on campus in courts.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 05:08 PM   #375
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, freedom of ideas IS more important than not offending minorities. This shouldn't be difficult to see. It's really the only thing that's non-negotiable. People are free to be horribly, horribly wrong about things, so that their wrongness can be corrected.
Is it ever really corrected though? Bigots don't tend to repent.

Quote:
If not offending minorities is important, and to some degree it certainly is, then it'll be easy to convince everyone of that importance using ideas.
Oh really? So all minorities have to do to convince racists that racism is wrong is use the power of ideas? Man, it's too bad you weren't around a few hundred years earlier. We could have had this all sorted out a long time ago.

EDIT: Have you actually sought sources for black voices (blogs, articles, etc.) where these ideas may be being discussed beyond the whole "everyone is too PC" narrative you've decided to settle on?

Quote:

"I wish minorities would stop complaining about their feelings of marginalization because it's buzzkilling my Halloween costume."

Yawn. Anyways, I'm super happy for the "edgy" white dudes who have had their views on the "PC-nazis" validated by a cartoon written by a couple of libertarians.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 06:26 PM   #376
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

And, of course, you take that way out to left field. What he is referring to are things like "male free" zones, not letting anybody who is sympathetic to Israel speak on campuses, not letting Ann Coulter speak here, etc, etc, etc. Don't demean his post by making this about freedom for racists. Shame on you.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 07:19 PM   #377
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
And, of course, you take that way out to left field. What he is referring to are things like "male free" zones, not letting anybody who is sympathetic to Israel speak on campuses, not letting Ann Coulter speak here, etc, etc, etc. Don't demean his post by making this about freedom for racists. Shame on you.
It's Rubecube, man. That's just his schtick. Nonetheless, I'll respond at least once because I really don't think he's able to self-examine and may not have people challenging him on his assumptions about what's right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Is it ever really corrected though? Bigots don't tend to repent.
Are you serious? You can't be serious. You've never seen someone change their mind on this? I can count multiple among people I know just on the gay rights side of things. Certainly you've met any number of people who have moderated previously held racist views, whether you know it or not.

Quote:
Oh really? So all minorities have to do to convince racists that racism is wrong is use the power of ideas? Man, it's too bad you weren't around a few hundred years earlier. We could have had this all sorted out a long time ago.

EDIT: Have you actually sought sources for black voices (blogs, articles, etc.) where these ideas may be being discussed beyond the whole "everyone is too PC" narrative you've decided to settle on?
Jesus, you just love identity politics, don't you? No, I haven't sought out "black voices". I do not give a damn if the voices are black. People are either right or wrong on any given issue regardless of their skin colour.

For exactly this reason, "minorities" do not have to convince racists that racism is wrong, everyone does. I do not need to be a woman to engage in a discussion about the morality of abortion. If you can't express why skin colour is a stupid reason to discriminate against a person, you're not trying very hard.

Quote:
"I wish minorities would stop complaining about their feelings of marginalization because it's buzzkilling my Halloween costume."
Is this what we're doing now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubecube
The only problem with the holocaust was that they didn't finish the job.
Annoying, isn't it?
Quote:
Yawn. Anyways, I'm super happy for the "edgy" white dudes who have had their views on the "PC-nazis" validated by a cartoon written by a couple of libertarians.
What's wrong in theory with libertarianism? Given the sheer volume of authoritarianism that seems to be frequently rearing its head these days, we could use a bit more libertarianism. Or at least classical liberalism. Allow me to show you how to quote someone accurately for a change:
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Stuart Mill
If the arguments of the present chapter are of any validity, there ought to exist the fullest liberty of professing and discussing, as a matter of ethical conviction, any doctrine, however immoral it may be considered.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2015, 07:55 PM   #378
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Maybe he should have been more specific then? He linked to an article that, from what I could tell, had to do with cultural appropriation and Halloween costumes. I wasn't suggesting he was asking for freedom for racists, either. No idea where you got that from. What I said is that saying that we can get people to stop offending minorities by fighting them with ideas is incredibly naive and patronizing.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2015, 08:11 PM   #379
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Maybe he should have been more specific then? He linked to an article that, from what I could tell, had to do with cultural appropriation and Halloween costumes.
Specifically, it dealt with a university asking people not to put together hallowe'en costumes that might be considered racially insensitive, followed by someone raising a series of thoughtful points about whether that policy should be followed or at least to what degree, followed by... mobs of students pulling their hair out and demanding she be fired and removed from campus for rather soberly expressing her point of view. Here's the letter:

Spoiler!

I'm not saying any of that is right. I'm saying it was (or looks to me to be) a genuine, intellectually honest expression of a point of view. The appropriate response is to either agree or disagree, not send a demand to the powers that be that someone be for all intents and purposes run out of town on a rail. The fact that this is the response, on a goddamned ivy league college campus where debating all ideas, including (er, especially) those deemed outside the box or extreme, should always be encouraged.

Hell, this is one of the most important functions that academia can serve - the pursuits on campus are often completely impractical, and other than educating people their greatest social utility might be progressing human knowledge and culture by breaching new intellectual ground.

If she's wrong, tell her why. Nope, can't have that, burn the witch instead.
Quote:
What I said is that saying that we can get people to stop offending minorities by fighting them with ideas is incredibly naive and patronizing.
Yeah, THAT's what's patronizing.

And your option, or at least the option of these college kids which you appear to be defending - correct me if you're not - is to simply deny anyone the ability to make any statement deemed to be offensive. Or any statement that can be spun as such, really. Any sort of policy that brings to mind Orwellian distinctions like truefact and goodfact, and the sorts of things that people aren't allowed to have debates about, is a bad one. It's basically well-intentioned McCarthyism.

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 11-14-2015 at 08:17 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 11-14-2015, 08:57 PM   #380
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's Rubecube, man. That's just his schtick. Nonetheless, I'll respond at least once because I really don't think he's able to self-examine and may not have people challenging him on his assumptions about what's right.
Yeah, that must be it. I'm on site where I am consistently outnumbered by people whose political and social ideologies are largely to the right of mine. I've never had any of my assumptions challenged. Ah well, still a better schtick than one that would get me permabanned and then immediately outed under a new username .

Quote:
Are you serious? You can't be serious. You've never seen someone change their mind on this? I can count multiple among people I know just on the gay rights side of things. Certainly you've met any number of people who have moderated previously held racist views, whether you know it or not.
I'm not talking about the generally ignorant and uneducated, I'm talking about unabashed bigots.

Quote:
Jesus, you just love identity politics, don't you? No, I haven't sought out "black voices". I do not give a damn if the voices are black. People are either right or wrong on any given issue regardless of their skin colour.

For exactly this reason, "minorities" do not have to convince racists that racism is wrong, everyone does. I do not need to be a woman to engage in a discussion about the morality of abortion. If you can't express why skin colour is a stupid reason to discriminate against a person, you're not trying very hard.
No, but when you're talking harm and marginalization, it's generally more prudent to ask the people being harmed and marginalized, and the phenomenological approach to some of these issues would seem to be the most appropriate.

Quote:
Is this what we're doing now?

Annoying, isn't it?
I'll clarify this one. It wasn't aimed at you, but the author in the link you shared. I obviously wasn't quoting it but summing up the prevailing sentiment, hence why I didn't use the quote function.

Quote:
What's wrong in theory with libertarianism? Given the sheer volume of authoritarianism that seems to be frequently rearing its head these days, we could use a bit more libertarianism. Or at least classical liberalism.
There are number of theoretical problems with libertarianism, chiefly that it's largely incompatible with the Westphalian state, but that wasn't really my point.

Quote:
Allow me to show you how to quote someone accurately for a change:
Thanks, teach.

A right to free speech doesn't entail the right to an audience. There's plenty of precedent for telling someone "You're allowed to say that, you're just not allowed to say it here."
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post: