Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 02-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #81
nmhen
Everybody's favourite Wild fan!

Exp:

"Honestly, Parise is exceptional in that regard by any standard."

I think this is true. But it's been so rare in the context of my Wild fanhood that I don't want to jinx it or something.

When Coyle has gotten the puck deep and then crashed the corner, it has led to chances mainly because Parise and Koivu work so darn hard to support the puck, and then have enough creativity to turn it into a chance.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:53 PM   #82
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmhen View Post

I think this is true. But it's been so rare in the context of my Wild fanhood that I don't want to jinx it or something.

When Coyle has gotten the puck deep and then crashed the corner, it has led to chances mainly because Parise and Koivu work so darn hard to support the puck, and then have enough creativity to turn it into a chance.
Could the Flames get Clutterbuck for a 1st rounder?
Old 02-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #83
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Sounds like Granlund and Baertschi have had very similar rookie starts. Both are extremely gifted, they'll be fine.
I will say this for the fans in Calgary: the reactions to Sven being on the fourth line or potentially scratched have been more mature than what I've seen from Minnesota fans, many of whom are pretty insecure about their team and always expect things to go wrong. So when Granlund drops his stick a few times in a game, the worrying begins, and the press start asking pointed questions from Yeo about whether he belongs in the league at all. With Flames fans and Sven the worry is always more about whether he's getting a proper chance to shine.

Bärtschi is more strongly built than Granlund and a bit more sheltered in the Flames lineup. Granlund has been getting a rough treatment in some games.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #84
nmhen

Exp:

"Could the Flames get Clutterbuck for a 1st rounder?"

Deal. But wouldn't Feaster want to give him a raise? :P
Old 02-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #85
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I actually thought that taking Heatley away from the first line was dumb and maybe a little panicky, and I guess I still do, but I also understand that Koivu and Parise must be so easy to play with that you can just as well throw a rookie in there. Makes Coyle look pretty good, but he was also given the spot for free, which I have mixed feelings about. Secondary scoring is dry so you parachute a guy from the minors on the one line that has been working? I don't know.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:05 PM   #86
sven
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Without Kipper and our 3 top 6 forwards, I predict a hard fought game that still results in a loss.
Minni is desperate as they should be challenging for the Division with the acquisition of Suter and Parise but has yet to accomplish anything.

Look for them to come out hard and jump on a short manned Flames team.

4-3 wild.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:06 PM   #87
nmhen

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Fool View Post
I will say this for the fans in Calgary: the reactions to Sven being on the fourth line or potentially scratched have been more mature than what I've seen from Minnesota fans, many of whom are pretty insecure about their team and always expect things to go wrong. So when Granlund drops his stick a few times in a game, the worrying begins, and the press start asking pointed questions from Yeo about whether he belongs in the league at all. With Flames fans and Sven the worry is always more about whether he's getting a proper chance to shine.

Bärtschi is more strongly built than Granlund and a bit more sheltered in the Flames lineup. Granlund has been getting a rough treatment in some games.
the comments about Wild fans are true. Not for all (of us), but true enough for a stereotype. Minnesota sports fans (of which I am one) are odd. You combine a natural passive-aggressiveness that's bred into Minnesotans anyway, with a deep and abiding love for hockey (to the point that it's a clear and material part of our overall identity) against a backdrop of an experience with pro hockey (and pro sports in general, with precious few (2) exceptions) that is fraught with heartache and disappointment, combined with the gross indignity of actually losing our team, which then proceeded to go and do the one thing that would have validated us and our identity in Texas, of all freakin' places.....I'm not asking for you to cut us a break on our angst and fickleness, but I'm just trying to put it into context.

The team also built him up as Finnish Baby Jesus, and we suffered through some rough years under Riser that amassed to having a pathetic dearth of talent - not to mention high-end talent. So we were ripe for this kid to come in and Landeskog the heck out of the league - which obviously was unreasonable.
The Following User Says Thank You to nmhen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2013, 03:10 PM   #88
nmhen

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Fool View Post
I actually thought that taking Heatley away from the first line was dumb and maybe a little panicky, and I guess I still do, but I also understand that Koivu and Parise must be so easy to play with that you can just as well throw a rookie in there. Makes Coyle look pretty good, but he was also given the spot for free, which I have mixed feelings about. Secondary scoring is dry so you parachute a guy from the minors on the one line that has been working? I don't know.
also, hard to reconcile putting Coyle there with Yeo's comments about scratching Granlund being okay because he believes young players should have to work for everything they get.

Heatley hasn't just lost a step, he's lost several. I'm okay with the Wild finally having enough talent to not HAVE to play him on the top line.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #89
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

well I see they swapped out Smith for SArich....I think this is a foolish move ......I agree with Sarich in but Butter should be sitting ....I am so tired of this guy and his soft un confident play.

We barely have any D that'll hit outside of Sarich and Gio ...Smith can be physical when its called for.

Gotta win tonites game after the team mailed in a no fffffffrt against the nucks.

4-2 Flames
Old 02-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #90
Bertuzzied
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
"Could the Flames get Clutterbuck for a 1st rounder?"

Deal. But wouldn't Feaster want to give him a raise? :P
hmm maybe Feaster should just RFA him next year. $3.1mil/per.

A 2nd rounder for the Wild. Too bad we don't have that 2nd rounder.

Maybe we can trade Butler+ to Montreal to get it back.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #91
Mitch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertuzzied View Post
Could the Flames get Clutterbuck for a 1st rounder?
You would be an awful GM
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mitch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #92
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
the comments about Wild fans are true. Not for all (of us), but true enough for a stereotype. Minnesota sports fans (of which I am one) are odd. You combine a natural passive-aggressiveness that's bred into Minnesotans anyway, with a deep and abiding love for hockey (to the point that it's a clear and material part of our overall identity) against a backdrop of an experience with pro hockey (and pro sports in general, with precious few (2) exceptions) that is fraught with heartache and disappointment, combined with the gross indignity of actually losing our team, which then proceeded to go and do the one thing that would have validated us and our identity in Texas, of all freakin' places.....I'm not asking for you to cut us a break on our angst and fickleness, but I'm just trying to put it into context.

The team also built him up as Finnish Baby Jesus, and we suffered through some rough years under Riser that amassed to having a pathetic dearth of talent - not to mention high-end talent. So we were ripe for this kid to come in and Landeskog the heck out of the league - which obviously was unreasonable.
Yeah, most rookies don't do that. You can look at any number of great players in the NHL and see that right away. Even guys who you thought broke through early had their struggles. It won't necessarily take a long time. Well sometimes it does take a while - look at Marc Savard or Martin St.Louis for example, to mention a couple of small ex-Flames that didn't look like much while they were in Calgary.

I think the Minnesota press is funny. They're very polite and maybe even friendly, but they ask very specific, pointed questions from the coach. They'll point out players that shouldn't perhaps be in the lineup, they'll point out individual bad plays, they'll point out bad lines, this guy got caught, this guy misses his shots, this guy is a liability, etc. I don't know if that's the passive-aggressiveness that you mention, but it's definitely something I've noticed.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:19 PM   #93
Henry Fool
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
also, hard to reconcile putting Coyle there with Yeo's comments about scratching Granlund being okay because he believes young players should have to work for everything they get.

Heatley hasn't just lost a step, he's lost several. I'm okay with the Wild finally having enough talent to not HAVE to play him on the top line.
Yeah, I didn't like the message it sent. Heatley has scored a few goals. He stands in front of the net and directs pucks in. No big problems. It sends a panicky message to demote him. You're supposed to trust the process, trust the system, keep working, but then you break up the only line that's been rewarded for their work.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:20 PM   #94
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Im changing my prediction and calling for a Howlin' Highlight Hatrick from His Highness Jiri Hudler.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:24 PM   #95
Lucifer
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'll be at the game, going to my first Flames game in 4 years!

Go Flames!
Old 02-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #96
tendulkar23
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quite surprising that the Flames have only been out-shot once this season. Hopefully that trend continues tonight and the team can convert their chances.

I hope the Hartley system makes for some watchable Flames/Wild hockey this season.
Old 02-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #97
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't beleive it but im really excited to see the Wild team tonight. Lots of new pieces and kids worth watching. Really looking forward to watching Brodin tonight. In the 4 or 5 Wild games I've seen this year the kid look amazing for a 19 year old.
Old 02-11-2013, 04:00 PM   #98
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

I predict 4 bites on the arm to 3 bites on the fingers
The Following User Says Thank You to calumniate For This Useful Post:
Old 02-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #99
vilzeh
First Line Centre

Exp:

Koivu playing his 500th game tonight, expect him to demolish Flames. Lets hope not.

Go Flames Go!

Wow, I just checked Iginla's shooting percentage this season: 2.6%.

That's horrible.

Last edited by vilzeh; 02-11-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #100
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't know where to put this, but I found it interesting, from Friedman's 30 Thoughts Blog from today

Quote:
My favourite radio bit right now is Andrew Walker's sarcastic player profile on Sportsnet 960 in Calgary. Before every game, Walker takes a member of the opposition and does a funny rip job based on those puffball features us media types do. Here's the problem. In nine games, Walker's targets have skewered the Flames for six goals, four assists and one shootout winner. If that wasn't bad enough, the Detroit subject, Johan Franzen, injured Miikka Kiprusoff. I can't wait to hear which member of the Wild is getting a hat trick Monday night.
Someone needs to get on this guys case, and have him stop ribbing on other teams! It's bad enough that we always seem to run into hot goalies, break scoring slumps, and allow every player to score their first goal against us.
Closed Thread

Tags
gtd , winwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwin , winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin