Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2024, 03:15 AM   #6041
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
To think posters here continue to lie to defend this deliberate starvation.

Sickos. Beyond being better.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1779150476212101538
Extremely sad

I don't want this to be whataboutism but how about a pic of the hostages or the non-starvation of Hamas fighters in Gaza.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 07:59 AM   #6042
Sol
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Extremely sad

I don't want this to be whataboutism but how about a pic of the hostages or the non-starvation of Hamas fighters in Gaza.

I don't want this to be "whataboutism", but what about...
Sol is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 08:01 AM   #6043
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol View Post
I don't want this to be "whataboutism", but what about...
Yes… the post essentially said “here comes some whataboutism” and then followed through…. Great catch.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 08:04 AM   #6044
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Extremely sad

They should also be released if they are still alive. It’s a pretty simple and obvious answer that everyone agrees on.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 08:16 AM   #6045
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Extremely sad

Paging this post is terrible
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 08:29 AM   #6046
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
Religion sure brings out the worst in people.

Quote:
Extremely sad

And sometimes you don't even need to be religious for that.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 09:40 AM   #6047
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Erica Le Bon is a Iranian activist, I've found that she has a very interesting take on things, especially concerning her own government.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1779685190941679979

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 10:28 AM   #6048
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Extremely sad

That's EXACTLY what a whataboutism is, like FFS.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 10:41 AM   #6049
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Extremely sad

To me the issue is not who is right or wrong, we can all agree that there is very complex morality both historic and contemporary.

The issue is an unbalance in destructive power. Isreal can, without a doubt, destroy everything and everyone in Palestine. Hamas, gave their very best shot in October. Is it tragic that 1400 Isreali's died that day? of course it is. But that does not minimize the violence that Isreal is capable of, the limits of which we are yet to see. Never mind the 34,000 and counting people killed. The infrastructure in Palestine no longer exists. Isreal could stop the war today and the death toll would still increase. This is Iraq again.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 10:54 AM   #6050
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

And if the Islamic Republic of Iran is the guilty party here, what excuse does Israel have for mass starvation and killing in Gaza? Are they not already victims of a foreign power conducting proxy wars? I don't see the logic in cheering on the continued decimation of a people.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 11:26 AM   #6051
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

It is rather interesting.

First there should be a ceasefire. Literally protesting in the streets of Canada.
Then Iran has the right to defend itself, and also protesting in the streets of Canada cheering on the attacks.
Now Israel has no right to retaliate, which they actually haven't done.

Either way, the fact that Saudi Arabia and Jordan helped, that Israel & its allies shot down most of the missiles, drones, etc and the fact that Israel hasn't gone total send Iran back to the stone age to me is a very good sign. Hopefully the countries that helped can now leverage Israel to work towards a longer term solution, and hopefully countries like Jordan & Saudi Arabia understand that they can make a huge difference to help get rid of Hamas and the influence from Iran.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 11:27 AM   #6052
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsfan View Post
Iran has a right to defend itself.

I don’t think Iran will do anything directly. Israel is losing support throughout the world and is no longer looking like the meek David under threat of being obliterated by its neighbors- but the hairy brute Goliath it really is. Any direct attack by Iran changes all that.

Support within Israel is also dwindling- the protests in Tel Aviv, the growing “refusnik” movement and calls for Bibbi’s resignation. There is also a growing budget deficit, with the cost of Israel’s current genocidal campaign, the Red Sea blockade (as minimized at it is made out to be), and the attacks on Israel’s ports. Sooner or later the financial support from its Trust Fund daddy will also have to slow down.

Blowhard Bibbi and Israel have been trying to get the US to have a war with Iran for years, with neo-cons like Paul wolfowitz leading the way and trying to influence the Bush administration.

I think the genocide supporters really want a war with Iran as well but don’t realize how close we are to WW3.

But hey, let’s stop talking about the genocide in Gaza
Just quoting this to show how pathetically sad some people's views are.

I'd imagine this poster was part of the group protesting in the streets cheering on the attacks by Iran.

Sad.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 11:30 AM   #6053
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Erica Le Bon is a Iranian activist, I've found that she has a very interesting take on things, especially concerning her own government.
Not accurate.
Except it is not her own government. She is British born to Iranian parents. The posh British accent is a giveaway.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 11:31 AM   #6054
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Just quoting this to show how pathetically sad some people's views are.

I'd imagine this poster was part of the group protesting in the streets cheering on the attacks by Iran.

Sad.
Were large groups of people cheering iran on the streets in canada?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 12:17 PM   #6055
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Language View Post
I find it absolutely insane how there are “progressives” somehow defending what is one of the most despicable regimes in the entire world, in terms of not only how they treat their own people, but as a de-stabilizing force in the region via the Houthi rebels, Hezbollah, Hamas, etc.
This thread in a nutshell.
The enemy of enemy is my friend rings so true. Maybe it's human nature to have to pick a team, sad.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 12:18 PM   #6056
TherapyforGlencross
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
So regarding 2)

Does this mean you think this is a war? If this is a war then you accept that Oct 7th was a bi product of war?

Is this your stance? That civilian casualties are part of "war" right? Or do you only agree when it's your favorite country doing the killing of innocent civilians and not the ones being slaughtered?

If people actually looked at the facts without bias there is no chance they'd say something so nonchalantly like "bi product of war" when 13000 children were slaughtered.

Even Putin hasn't stooped that low.
To be fair to Putin, he has kidnapped over 700,000 Ukrainian children from their homes and placed them into Russia proper. Both are despicable acts, but yes, Putin has stooped that low.

https://www.reuters.com/world/europe...ia-2023-07-03/
TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 12:19 PM   #6057
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
That's EXACTLY what a whataboutism is, like FFS.

Maybe I read it wrong, but I think he was actually prefacing his comment with that as a disclaimer. You know like, “I hate whattaboutisms, but I need to make one in this case”.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 12:28 PM   #6058
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Not accurate.
Except it is not her own government. She is British born to Iranian parents. The posh British accent is a giveaway.
Tell us more about your thoughts on the Women's Revolution in Iran.
Old 04-15-2024, 12:56 PM   #6059
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post

https://twitter.com/user/status/1779685190941679979
I appreciate her frustration with the government of Iran, but to be quite honest, this seems like a whole bunch of whatabboitism. Her arguments can be used in the reverse to justify bombing israel as well. This type of thinking gets us nowhere.

Fact of the matter is, Israel attacked Iran's diplomatic compound in Damascus. A response from Iran was inevitable. Yes, Iran does have a right to defend itself. That right isn't granted only to the US and its proxies.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 01:04 PM   #6060
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

It sounds like so far, the only casualties of Iran's attack were 3 Jordanians and Israeli-Bedouin child.

I kind of hope Israel doesn't respond directly to this attack. I think it sends a better message to show you don't take them seriously enough to even bother. And for those claiming Iran's attack was in response for the consulate attack that killed terrorist, maybe in isolation, but the tit-for-tat has been going on a long time. Israel's attack on the consulate was a response to something as well. It's not really helpful in understanding the big picture to just arbitrarily pick on point and say, this is where it began.

As a side note, I don't think Hamas will be able to hold out much longer. At the start of the war, Israeli and Egyptian intelligence agreed that Hamas had enough hoarded food and medicine from the people of Gaza to sustain themselves for about 4-6 months. Pretty soon they are going to have to give up.