Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-15-2010, 11:35 AM   #21
FlamingInfinity
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hey burn_baby_burn, I've since come down to two phones. The Curve and the Tour, both of which you've owned. Just wondering if you know when that new Tour will launch and whether the Tour is worth the extra 125?
Giordano: He plays for the oilers, enough said.
FlamingInfinity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:28 PM   #22
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

More 9700 pimping from yours truly... Had the thing for a couple weeks now, and I've never loved a phone the way I love this thing. I actually had a dream (nightmare) one night that it slipped out of my pocket while driving, then landed in a puddle when I opened the door.

It's fast, it's slick, it's small and light... I was kind of reluctant to get it at first because I thought that it was the same size as the Bold with the trackball. Not the case. It's smaller and sleeker. Love it. Haven't had a single problem with it yet, and haven't had to reboot or anything. And the trackpad rocks.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:27 AM   #23
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamingInfinity View Post
Hey burn_baby_burn, I've since come down to two phones. The Curve and the Tour, both of which you've owned. Just wondering if you know when that new Tour will launch and whether the Tour is worth the extra 125?
I haven't been following the release of the new Tour. If it is like any other Telus launches it will just be available one day without any prior advertising. If you check out the threads in this link it may give you a ballpark as to the release date of the new Tour.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f172/

As for the extra $125 for the Tour? Personally I think it is worth it especially if you plan to keep the phone for awhile. The Tour camera takes pretty good pictures. I could be mistaken on this, but I think the Tour can be used on the new network as well. Although I have heard nothing but awful things about the new network at this point in time.
Old 01-19-2010, 08:36 AM   #24
GrrlGoalie33
First Line Centre

Exp:

The new network is lightyears better now than it was at launch. Telus is working to fix the issues. I have next to no dropped calls anymore, while for a period there i had to make 3 attempts for every call that went through.
GrrlGoalie33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:24 AM   #25
Madman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sorry to semi-hijack but does Telus have an offer of sorts to switch to the new network for existing clients already in a contract?
Madman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:02 PM   #26
FlamingInfinity
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ended up getting my Blackberry last night, and there was some sort of weird wording or something. They wanted me to re-sign a new contract in order to get the $250 + 3 months free deal. Whatever. In the end, I got the 8330, and the whole thing ended up coming to about $400 with a 3 year warranty. So the way I look at it is that I paid for the warranty, and the 3 months free will pay for the phone. Not a bad deal I suppose.

I'm having quite a bit of fun throwing some apps onto it, Ticketmaster, FB, UberTwitter... The only real frustrating thing is the scrollball. Not so much of a fan. Wanted a touchpad, but it would have set me back another $200, which is meh.

In love with BBM, and I find it a lot better than texting now, but maybe that's just me.

Madman, I haven't checked, but it might depend on your contract length remaining. Give them a call, and you should be able to work something out, $200 off a Blackberry or something.

I also found out today that the 'new' Curve, the 8530 is out on Telus, and IMO, looks like poo.

Last edited by FlamingInfinity; 01-19-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #27
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Ended up getting my Blackberry last night, and there was some sort of weird wording or something. They wanted me to re-sign a new contract in order to get the $250 + 3 months free deal.
[/IMG]
I hope they didn't make you resign an extension contract
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 07:52 PM   #28
FlamingInfinity
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by silentsim View Post
I hope they didn't make you resign an extension contract
No, so I'm with them only for another year more than my last. They cancelled the old one, and contract will be up in 2013.
Old 01-20-2010, 01:32 AM   #29
CRXguy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So you paid $250 for an out-dated 3 year old phone, as opposed to the NEW 9700 for $199?
CRXguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 01:56 AM   #30
FlamingInfinity
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It was only $179, plus the 3 year warranty.

If I wanted the 9700, I could get $200 off of the no contract price. Totally lame, but I got a brand new phone for less than half the price.

Last edited by FlamingInfinity; 01-20-2010 at 02:00 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:38 AM   #31
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

You paid $400 for a phone that you can get for free with a three year contract? (maybe I'm mistaken, maybe its $50 with a three year contract).
Old 01-20-2010, 09:58 AM   #32
FlamingInfinity
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

They wouldn't let me pay the 3 year contract renewal price, as I for some reason had to pay the no contract price. I do believe it was because my present contract wasn't up yet. I tried to get the Bold, but they wanted me to pay around 400 IIRC, and that was without warranty, and no discount for 3 months.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:33 PM   #33
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

SO wait a second, when was your original contract set to expire?

And now it expires when?
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #34
FlamingInfinity
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So my original contract was supposed to expire in Dec 2011, and just a little more than a year later,after going through 2 LG Dares I signed another 3 year,after cancelling my old one. Somewhat confusing...
Old 01-20-2010, 06:51 PM   #35
Flames0910
First Line Centre

Exp:

don't you love telus?
Flames0910 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 03:45 PM   #36
return to the red
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They wouldn't let me pay the 3 year contract renewal price, as I for some reason had to pay the no contract price. I do believe it was because my present contract wasn't up yet. I tried to get the Bold, but they wanted me to pay around 400 IIRC, and that was without warranty, and no discount for 3 months.
Should have done what I did. When I was looking for a BB I still had about 2 years left on my contract and Telus said I would have to pay full price for a BB so I just told them fine change my plan to the cheapest one and i'll continue paying but im going to go to Bell and sign with them so I get my $50 phone and put my same plan on with them.

I usually rack up about 120 a month on my telus bill, I guess the potential of losing that 80-100 dollars a month for two years was enough to warrant them giving me the phone essentially for free.

BTW I hate my BB 8330 reboots like 4 times a day
Old 01-22-2010, 02:48 PM   #37
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

So I just had to make the call between an 8520 and a 9000. I'd like to hear what you guys have to say before revealing my choice which hopefully wasn't the wrong one. I know nothing about these things. I really wanted the 9700 but my company doesn't offer them yet.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2010, 03:48 PM   #38
onetwo_threefour
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just picked up the 9700 this week, I got the three-year acquisition picing on it by extending my contract even though I have 11 1/2 months left on my existing contract. I love this phone, it's way more functional than my Pearl ever was and I can actually type on it! I can't seem to get any streaming video like m.youtube working, although I can play video on bluemobi and ontinytube (if I choose the download option).

I found an awesome theme for the 9700 and curve2 (i think) at crackberry that allows you to have your eight icons across the bottom, but then the status bar at the top has room for three more icons, plus a number of areas such as the battery indicator and the time become like icons that you can click to open various functions, but it takes up hardly any screen space. If you have your calendar or messages icon highlighted on the homescreen, it shows you upcoming calendar appointments and the headers of new emails without actually having to open the application. It's called "Section 8" and I think it's the best business oriented theme I have seen. I was a little choked when I got my 9700 that there was only one theme on it and it wasn't like the dimension L theme I had on the Pearl, but this theme so much more than made up for it and it's free too!
(I know I sound like I'm shilling, but it was just a shocker to me how well this guy implemented this stuff.)

Anyway, other than the streaming thing, this thing is great.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:25 PM   #39
burn_baby_burn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by return to the red View Post
BTW I hate my BB 8330 reboots like 4 times a day
Download Quickpull for free. It will solve your problems.
Old 01-25-2010, 04:35 PM   #40
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_baby_burn View Post
Download Quickpull for free. It will solve your problems.
Blech.... I was so stoked to install this to automate my reboots. Big time let down when I found out it doesn't reboot if it's in a holster. Not much good to me then since I leave it in its holster overnight.
I-Hate-Hulse is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:

Tags
blackberry , lgdarelicksballs , telus