Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2016, 04:42 AM   #341
pgsieve
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I know this might be old, but I thought it was worth a share. I'd never seen or heard of this and it is close to my hometown in PG.

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/b...tion-1.2945523

How does that even happen!?!
Old 04-07-2016, 06:28 AM   #342
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ I was at an invasive species presentation a year or two ago and there are some places in Alberta where there are carp as well (amongst others) because people release their unwanted pets.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:41 AM   #343
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

ya, it is sad and hopefully something can be done but who knows. In Alberta, I believe if you catch a carp you can kill it or eat it. It is encouraged to not throw them back. I have seen some disturbing video of over populated sloughs around Calgary with these carp.

Not sure what should be done but it can't be a good thing.
Old 04-07-2016, 09:49 AM   #344
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Technically, brown trout, brook trout and rainbow trout are invasive species in Southern Alberta.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2016, 01:09 PM   #345
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
to cause damage to the environment, human economy or human health.
Hrmm I guess maybe the environment, but weren't the trout stocked on purpose? When I think invasive I think either someone was negligent and it transferred via their boat, or it was introduced with malicious intent.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:25 PM   #346
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

well I have heard that some eastern Europeans released the Prussian Carp in Alberta/Canada because they liked fishing for those fish back home. Not sure that is malicious but it could and is likely very bad for the fisheries here.

And Troutman is right, those were all introduced to Alberta as well. What makes it ok to do it? Who decides what is invasive or not?
Old 04-07-2016, 01:26 PM   #347
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

I remember hearing this story:

http://www.pc.gc.ca/eng/pn-np/ab/ban...-stocking.aspx

One warm day in 1925, a hatchery truck carrying 45,000 fingerling brown trout broke down on the Trans Canada Highway just east of Banff. The driver, fearing that his cargo would perish if left in the truck, did what seemed to be the right thing at the time - he released the young trout into a nearby stream. The brown trout eventually followed the creek down into the Bow River, and their offspring have lived there ever since.

Brook trout were introduced in Alberta around 1903.

http://www.albertafishingguide.com/fish/rainbow-trout

Alberta Rainbow Trout are the most sought after Trout in Alberta, and have been the most widely stocked fish in Alberta for decades. The only true native Rainbow trout to the province of Alberta is the Athabasca Rainbow and is for the most part restricted to the waters of the North Saskatchewan River (NSR) and its tributaries, including a few other select rivers and streams to the north of the NSR. The Rainbows of the Bow River, which average 16 inches in length and often reach lengths of 22” or better, are not native but they are naturally reproducing and considered by most to be wild. These Rainbows are primarily of McCloud River strain and were originally stocked in the Bow River in the mid 1920’s. A train carrying the Trout stocks was on its way to Banff National Park with the intent of stocking some of the parks lakes with the fish when it experienced a set of unfortunate circumstances just outside of the parks boundaries and it derailed on the banks of the Bow.

Last edited by troutman; 04-07-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:31 PM   #348
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by foshizzle11 View Post
well I have heard that some eastern Europeans released the Prussian Carp in Alberta/Canada because they liked fishing for those fish back home. Not sure that is malicious but it could and is likely very bad for the fisheries here.

And Troutman is right, those were all introduced to Alberta as well. What makes it ok to do it? Who decides what is invasive or not?
Well specifically in the case of Brooks and Rainbows a piece of the issue is that they spawn at the same time as our native Cutthroats and Bulls. So that is how you end up with these hybridized fish like the Cut-bow. The major problem with that isn't that they don't seem like nice enough fish to catch, but there are genetic issues. The predominant concern is that these hybrids are almost always sterile, and cannot reproduce. So basically these hybrids die out, ending the genetic strain and leaving fewer fish down the road.
Old 04-08-2016, 02:25 PM   #349
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So I was checking out the weather and found this little article and video. Goldfish in a pond in St. Albert that have survived the winter.

http://beta.theweathernetwork.com/ne...alberta/66067/

Silly fish, silly people releasing them. I wonder if they would survive in the rivers too if they were released. Does anyone know if these pet goldfish are surviving in Alberta rivers and streams?
Old 04-08-2016, 02:35 PM   #350
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

They should introduce Pike and that would probably take care of things pretty quickly.
Old 04-08-2016, 06:19 PM   #351
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Freaking slough sharks. Great sport fish but they are savages. We had a municipal run trout pond here years ago, someone introduced a few pike and that was it. Nothing but pike in that pond now.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:46 PM   #352
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Stonedbirds View Post
Freaking slough sharks. Great sport fish but they are savages. We had a municipal run trout pond here years ago, someone introduced a few pike and that was it. Nothing but pike in that pond now.
Yeah, its a permanent solution where if you don't really want Pike you can't put them in. Thing is they would take care of the goldfish though.
Old 04-08-2016, 07:57 PM   #353
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

Oh absolutely, I agree the pike will clean them up quick and it's better than leaving the goldfish.

Added bonus of having a pond stocked with fat pike!
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:02 AM   #354
rbochan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Yeah, its a permanent solution where if you don't really want Pike you can't put them in. Thing is they would take care of the goldfish though.
Norlunge would work better, because they're 99% sterile.
rbochan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rbochan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2016, 11:16 AM   #355
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbochan View Post
Norlunge would work better, because they're 99% sterile.
why wouldn't something like this be an option for a pond like that? after all the gold fishes are gone, then let people fish these guys out.

would the worry be that the Norlunge could get into other waterways?
Old 04-13-2016, 09:54 AM   #356
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Anybody have an idea when you can start fishing in fish creek
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:02 AM   #357
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

June 15th I think all of the creeks and streams open.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2016, 10:23 AM   #358
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

http://www.albertaregulations.ca/fishingregs/es2.html

Generally streams open April 1st north of the Bow (ES2), and June 16th south of the Bow (ES1).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2016, 07:23 PM   #359
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Thanks for the help guys there goes my post layoff summer plans?
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 08:52 PM   #360
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

It works out though because you can fish the Bow up until about that time, then the spring run-off really hits and the little streams open and you can do some good fishing for the remainder of the summer.

Tags
bow river , fishing , fly fishing