Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2014, 12:25 PM   #101
MarchHare
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Legitimately though, does anyone know how many Canadians went to fight the Russians in Afghanistan? I can't find any information or statistics on it. I'm guessing they didn't think about this type of thing back then.
If there were any Canadians who fought the Soviets in Afghanistan, they were almost certainly motivated by Cold War fervor, not Islamist terrorism. Let's not forget that the US government supplied arms to the Mujaheddin and there was even a James Bond film in which he fought alongside them.
MarchHare is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarchHare For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2014, 12:28 PM   #102
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarchHare View Post
If there were any Canadians who fought the Soviets in Afghanistan, they were almost certainly motivated by Cold War fervor, not Islamist terrorism. Let's not forget that the US government supplied arms to the Mujaheddin and there was even a James Bond film in which he fought alongside them.
sorry I thanked you, but I also wanted to add to this.

Yes the American's armed the Afghan Mujahadeen. The prime example of course were the manpack SAMS. However the American's didn't interact or arm the foreign fighters who were self financing through the middle east. They believed that taking American money or weapons to fight the Russians in a holy war was unclean and would compromise their purity of action.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:28 PM   #103
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottish_flame View Post
I think it's justified

The sharia law etc isn't relevant to this situation but I strongly believe if the radical groups increase in Canada that will happen

And so. Maybe you react differently but when I get woken up by the news to see that a soldier has been killed in what is to be perceived as a terrorist attack being angry is justified
If it "isn't relevant to this situation" why bring it up? Maybe to increase the fear....?

Did I say you can't be angry? I am angry, I was angry when troops were dying in the sandbox.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2014, 12:32 PM   #104
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
sorry I thanked you, but I also wanted to add to this.

Yes the American's armed the Afghan Mujahadeen. The prime example of course were the manpack SAMS. However the American's didn't interact or arm the foreign fighters who were self financing through the middle east. They believed that taking American money or weapons to fight the Russians in a holy war was unclean and would compromise their purity of action.
Meaning they just needed the ISI to touch it first and then it became cleansed apparently.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:38 PM   #105
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
I don't usually try to get involved in these kinds of discussions but this kind of a statement leaves me utterly dumbfounded.

To equate radical Christians and the harm they have do to abortion doctors and homosexuals (and the society they live in in general) with radical Islam and the thousands upon thousands upon thousands of people that they have killed, hurt and displaced in nations all over the world is like calling a peanut equal to a cow because they can both be used for food.

I would assume that nobody outside of the social justice league even takes a comment like this seriously.

You can't honestly believe that conservative Christians and Islamic terror groups are the same thing, can you? Your blind hate toward Christianity is no different than an ultra conservative Christians hate for a gay person. Should we be watching you?
The point isn't about Christians, it's about extremists, and the idea of deporting or detaining people on suspicion as opposed to facts. Would you be in favour of invoking a similar policy for suspected racists, homophobes, and misogynists? These people quite often commit crimes at the same level as the man who killed these two soldiers.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:44 PM   #106
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

CBC reporting that this guy had his passport seized by government authorities to prevent him from flying overseas to join ISIS.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:48 PM   #107
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
This isn't a very good response in my opinion. You're asking me if someone who commits a violent crime should face criminal charges and imprisonment
No, I am asking you to define how and when you would preemptively detain someone.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:53 PM   #108
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
I don't usually try to get involved in these kinds of discussions but this kind of a statement leaves me utterly dumbfounded.

To equate radical Christians and the harm they have do to abortion doctors and homosexuals (and the society they live in in general) with radical Islam and the thousands upon thousands upon thousands of people that they have killed, hurt and displaced in nations all over the world is like calling a peanut equal to a cow because they can both be used for food.

I would assume that nobody outside of the social justice league even takes a comment like this seriously.

You can't honestly believe that conservative Christians and Islamic terror groups are the same thing, can you? Your blind hate toward Christianity is no different than an ultra conservative Christians hate for a gay person. Should we be watching you?
Pretty amazing how easy it is to paint a group of people with a broad brush, eh? And that was the point. I took Scottish Flame's hatred of wrong-coloured foreigners and applied the same logic at the same extremes to a group he was more likely to relate to. Namely, the presumably white people of the local dominant religion.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #109
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
1) This thread reads a lot better with Scottish Flame on Ignore. The debate about whether this guy fits within a definition of home grown terrorist can occur without broad brush strokes about all muslims. Just a suggestion.

2) Whether something like this was done in the name of another religion/political group/social agenda, I would still want it looked at as a form of home-grown-terrorism, regardless of what religion/political group/social agenda the person subscribed to. Violence against innocents to advance an agenda is part of the terrorism discussion.
Based on some of the stories posted, the comparisons to Justin Bourque are fairly apt. And while some have tried to paint Bourque as a "domestic terrorist", the label hasn't stuck. I really don't think we should be labeling this case any differently just because yesterday's anti-authoritarian wingnut happened to pay attention to what evil-du-jour happened to be saying. It was simply an individual who committed an individual's crime. The rhetoric about terrorism is being played up to fuel the passions of people like Scottish Flame and Fulham. The more people you get thinking like them, the greater control you have over your population and the greater erosion of civil rights you become capable of achieving.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2014, 01:06 PM   #110
scottish_flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Pretty amazing how easy it is to paint a group of people with a broad brush, eh? And that was the point. I took Scottish Flame's hatred of wrong-coloured foreigners and applied the same logic at the same extremes to a group he was more likely to relate to. Namely, the presumably white people of the local dominant religion.
Now you're just coming out with straight up lies wrong coloured foreigners ? Really when did I say that are you a journalist ? Because you are very good at making up utter crap
scottish_flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:29 PM   #111
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
All you say is provide evidence. It's all you write

You want evidence google it
No you're the one making statements that have no factual basis. If you make the statement, you find the proof. By touting your statement as fact, you're the one promoting fear. You're saying there is an increase in radical Muslims in our country and we have to get them before they get us by deporting suspects.

This statement is so ridiculous, that the only say to prove is is to provide evidence. Now, go find some or let yourself continually and justifiably be berated in this thread.

And in the same vein, how the hell are you going to track and monitor all these suspects. Some random white Quebecois dude flies off the handle, and the government is supposed to notice him and deport him? We'd better deport all the white Quebecois dudes who have faced personal and financial struggles before they convert to Islam and join ISIS and commit a terrorist act.

Yeesh.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #112
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Two points first the crime appears an attempt to copy the killing of a soldier in London a couple of years ago, the two suspects in that case ran the soldier down then decapitated him with a knife, again in the name of Islam, they were a couple of loners who weren't particularly part of any group but came up with their plan on their own, this is a feature of terrorism in the you tube age, sad pathetic arse's get wound up by watching ISIS videos and go out and bomb the marathon or kill some poor squaddie.

Second point to Fulham and Scotch Egg, I lost a friend in the troubles, got glass blown all over me by an IRA bomb, got evacuated from stores numerous times, but we didn't lose our **** like the yanks! it's what makes us British, we still drank with Irish mates, even ones who sympathized with the Provos.
People die, things get blown up, grow a pair for gods sake!
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:46 PM   #113
scottish_flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Two points first the crime appears an attempt to copy the killing of a soldier in London a couple of years ago, the two suspects in that case ran the soldier down then decapitated him with a knife, again in the name of Islam, they were a couple of loners who weren't particularly part of any group but came up with their plan on their own, this is a feature of terrorism in the you tube age, sad pathetic arse's get wound up by watching ISIS videos and go out and bomb the marathon or kill some poor squaddie.

Second point to Fulham and Scotch Egg, I lost a friend in the troubles, got glass blown all over me by an IRA bomb, got evacuated from stores numerous times, but we didn't lose our **** like the yanks! it's what makes us British, we still drank with Irish mates, even ones who sympathized with the Provos.
People die, things get blown up, grow a pair for gods sake!
I don't mean every one run around and panic. The Ira was different from attacks like this.
I know people die this #### happens etc. but people who just brush this off as just a one off are wrong. These guys plot attacks and some slip through the security system like today
Old 10-21-2014, 01:49 PM   #114
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't mean every one run around and panic. The Ira was different from attacks like this.
I know people die this #### happens etc. but people who just brush this off as just a one off are wrong. These guys plot attacks and some slip through the security system like today
SF how was the IRA different?

Quote:
Old 10-21-2014, 01:50 PM   #115
scottish_flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
CBC reporting that this guy had his passport seized by government authorities to prevent him from flying overseas to join ISIS.
If this is true someone has this poor soldiers blood on their hand
Old 10-21-2014, 01:51 PM   #116
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you kidding me? The IRA was way more effective than these morons, thousands died in the troubles.
But the IRA was white and didn't behead people so we prefer them I suppose.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2014, 01:52 PM   #117
scottish_flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
SF how was the IRA different?
Still terrorists in my opinion but they were fighting for a united Ireland.

Guys like today are just mental extremists

Not saying Ira are better because they are scum just like Isis and any other terrorist group. Just different situations I guess
Old 10-21-2014, 01:54 PM   #118
scottish_flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
Are you kidding me? The IRA was way more effective than these morons, thousands died in the troubles.
But the IRA was white and didn't behead people so we prefer them I suppose.
Not what I'm saying. Both terrorist both scum. Different situations
Old 10-22-2014, 04:39 AM   #119
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Quote:
Still terrorists in my opinion but they were fighting for a united Ireland.

Guys like today are just mental extremists

Not saying Ira are better because they are scum just like Isis and any other terrorist group. Just different situations I guess
Fail to see how that's any different. Guys fighting for ISIS and related groups will say they are fighting for independance of their countries, unification of their religious cultute. Hell, that's exactly what ISIS is doing in Iraq and Syria. That's what the fricken acronym is for! Islamic State of Iraq and Syria. (Though that is the english interpretation I will admit)

My god man. I've never heard a person say so many things without saying anything at all. Your just spouting nonsense. At least Calgaryborn could use big words and form arguments, as flawed as they were sometimes. Your just hitting on every prejudical flaw and fear mongered argument you can come across. And you literally have said nothing that holds up, makes sense, proves your point (or indicates you even have one) or makes you look like you put any thought into it before you decided to bang on your keyboard to hear yourself talk.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2014, 01:47 PM   #120
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just want to bump this thread.

http://news.gc.ca/web/article-en.do?nid=897489

Quote:
Funeral service for Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent - A final tribute

28 October 2014 - Winnipeg, Man. 1 Canadian Air Division
The military funeral of Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent will be held on Saturday, November 1st, 2014, at Cocathédrale Saint-Antoine-de-Padoue in Longueuil, Quebec.
Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent was killed while on duty on October 20, 2014, in a hit-and-run incident in Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Québec.
Citizens who wish to honour Warrant Officer Vincent are invited to pay tribute on Saturday November 1st, 2014, along the funeral procession route which will begin at the Yves Légaré funeral complex in Longueuil, Que. The procession is scheduled to begin at the complex at 10:15 a.m. heading to the Cocathédrale Saint-Antoine-de-Padoue via Marie-Victorin boulevard, rue du Bord de l’Eau Est, Grant St. and Saint-Charles St. West
As per the wishes of the family, attendance at the church will be restricted to invited guests only. Following the service, military units and uniformed service members are invited to assemble on Saint-Charles St. to pay their final respects as the procession passes on route to a private interment.
Members of the Vincent family have asked the media to respect their privacy during this difficult time. For now, they do not wish to address the media, preferring to focus on the use of tools such as a possible Facebook memorial page dedicated to Warrant Officer Vincent.
Quick Facts
  • Warrant Officer Patrice Vincent served 28 years as a firefighter in the Royal Canadian Air Force. He was part of 438 Tactical Helicopter Squadron based in St-Hubert, Quebec.
  • He enlisted in the Canadian Armed Forces in May 1986 and during his career he was posted to Valcartier (Que.), Comox (B.C.), Halifax (NS), Trenton (Ont.), Esquimalt (B.C.), Edmonton (Alta.), North Bay (Ont.), Montreal (Que.) and Saint-Hubert (Que.).
  • Warrant Officer Vincent served aboard Her Majesty’s Canadian Ships CALGARY, ALGONQUIN WINNIPEG, OTTAWA and ST JOHN'S.
His death is not a "sexy" as Cpl Cirillo's but it is just as tragic. While his family has asked for privacy, i still believe we should remember.

Quote:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post: