Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2016, 05:46 PM   #241
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Color me surprised at a few of the posters who seem to be knowledgeable suggesting this has been an ongoing issue. That is a little disappointing. Two top players being benched for disciplinary reasons is big news, whether we like it or not. It doesn't have to be an issue forever, but its kind of a big deal it got to this point.

I thought the Flames overpaid guys like Engelland and Stajan for all the great leadership they bring.

I am good with holding the players accountable. But maybe the leadership on the team isn't all I thought it was.
Doesn't seem like a leadership issue to me, it seems like three young guys who made a poor decision and are being held accountable for it.

Hopefully they learn from this. Part of success is failure. I don't think this is as big of a deal as some people are making it out to be.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 05:46 PM   #242
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Win win, accountability and a better chance at a Fin or Matthews.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:46 PM   #243
AcGold
Self-Suspension

Exp:

OK woah woah woah... let's get this straight. 3 kids with millions of dollars and complete freedom got themselves into trouble?

I don't buy it

Bennett first line I do like.
AcGold is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AcGold For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 05:47 PM   #244
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
The thing is you guys are arguing about this from a little fairy tale "we're all a team and team is important" which makes sense as hardcore fans of this team who put it ahead of their own interests.

As a consumer if I had my tickets to this game then I paid to see the best Flames team available and now I'm getting a product that is missing TWO of it's marquee headliners cause the team can't suck it up and bench them at an away game.

It's like if you had tickets to Coachella, but the organizers decided to ban Guns N' Roses and Ice Cube cause they got drunk and peed on the promoters dog (lol k I don't know why that was the first thing that came to mind, but it seems like something they would do). Sure, they have every right to not let them play, but the fans have every right to be pissed off about it. Which is what you are seeing here.
I find it hard to believe you actually buy tickets to any games, so I'm not sure why you are so up in arms.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:47 PM   #245
zyzz
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
And you do?
MOD EDIT:

Post removed for inappropriate content.

Last edited by Textcritic; 02-09-2016 at 05:54 PM.
zyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:47 PM   #246
OldSam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably a good idea to dispense with the veiled "I know everything" comments. There have been some insinuations made in this thread that should have been kept private. Whatever the truth, it is best to let the team deal with it and hope the "boys" figure it out, for their benefit, and ours. 100% behind the team decision.
OldSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:47 PM   #247
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
It's like if you had tickets to Coachella, but the organizers decided to ban Guns N' Roses and Ice Cube cause they got drunk and peed on the promoters dog (lol k I don't know why that was the first thing that came to mind, but it seems like something they would do). Sure, they have every right to not let them play, but the fans have every right to be pissed off about it. Which is what you are seeing here.
You're right...this type of thing has happened with Kanye and Cee-Lo at Coachella a few years back where they were really late and their sets were cut short. The fans were furious. No one was mad at Coachella though. They were all mad at the singers for being toolbags.
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:48 PM   #248
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

MOD EDIT: Don't speculate
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:48 PM   #249
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't feel bad for ticket holders at all. I honestly couldn't care if the Flames sat all 3 for a week if that's what he feels is best.

Both Gaudreau and Monahan are crucial to building a successful era. I support that more than a few hockey games
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MarkGio For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 05:49 PM   #250
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The thing is you guys are arguing about this from a little fairy tale "we're all a team and team is important" which makes sense as hardcore fans of this team who put ahead of their own interests.

As a consumer if I had my tickets to this game then I paid to see the best Flames team available and now I'm getting a product that is missing TWO of it's marquee headliners cause the team can't suck it up and bench them at an away game.

You are looking at it from a position where the coaches and management should put the importance of the fans ahead of the importance of the team.

That is ridiculous, Hartley and Treliving don't have to worry about what fans want, they have to worry about what is best for making this team a contender in the long term.

Nobody is saying you can't be pissed off about this, however it would be very stupid of our coaching staff to worry about Polak being pissed off that Gaudreau isn't playing when determining if they should punish a player for missing practice.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 02-09-2016 at 05:52 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:49 PM   #251
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The thing is you guys are arguing about this from a little fairy tale "we're all a team and team is important" which makes sense as hardcore fans of this team who put it ahead of their own interests.

What's your point? Hartley is in the business of winning hockey games and teaching pro hockey to young players at the same time. This is, without a doubt, the right call to make - benching all three of them.

Brian and Ken worry about putting butts in the seats and offending their customers. I am currently NOT a paying customer, but if I was, I would be more pissed off that the team's leadership doesn't care enough about discipline and building a contender if they gave the stars preferential treatment.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:50 PM   #252
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I find it hard to believe you actually buy tickets to any games, so I'm not sure why you are so up in arms.
what?

I share season tickets with 3 buddies and have probably bought as many tickets as anyone from the ticket exchange (especially last year). I don't have tickets to tonights game so on a personal level, idgaf, but I really feel for the fans because when I do go, Monahan, Gaudreau and Bennett are pretty much the only reason.

I'd have no issues with this if it was an away game. I'd have even less issue with this if they found a better form of punishment then sitting for a game.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:50 PM   #253
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thought I'd treat a buddy who's having a rough go with layoffs and get us tickets to the game tonight. Not exactly going as expected.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:51 PM   #254
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Boo hoo. If they were scratched for an away game it would be worse - those attendees only get maybe one chance to see Gaudreau. I remember Crosby missing a game here for minor injury reasons.

Benching is pretty much the only means of disciplining players. Fines don't mean as much to these guys.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:51 PM   #255
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is one of those defining moments for team culture. I am sure that this decision by Hartley has the full support of team management. To send a message, you need to strike when the iron is hot - it is unfortunate that home fans will be denied an opportunity to see Johnny and Mony play, but the bigger picture is more important.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 05:51 PM   #256
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Doesn't seem like a leadership issue to me, it seems like three young guys who made a poor decision and are being held accountable for it.

Hopefully they learn from this. Part of success is failure. I don't think this is as big of a deal as some people are making it out to be.
I have no idea what's going on behind closed doors so I can only conclude so much. But having 3 players scratched for disciplinary reasons, two of them your stars and one an alternate captain. It's a big deal. Like it or not it will get tons of attention.

I believe that a team with a strong dressing room and leadership group would have dealt with issues like this before it got to this point.

Do I think it ruins the long term chances of the team? No. But we will be hearing and reading about this for a while.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:52 PM   #257
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I honestly can't believe the fans are even debating this one.

Player(s) screws up and violates team policy: Punish them accordingly.

What is there even to debate?
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 21 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 05:52 PM   #258
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
what?

I share season tickets with 3 buddies and have probably bought as many tickets as anyone from the ticket exchange (especially last year). I don't have tickets to tonights game so on a personal level, idgaf, but I really feel for the fans because when I do go, Monahan, Gaudreau and Bennett are pretty much the only reason.
Really? You're always so negative about everything.

You don't give off the impression that you even like the Flames.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 05:52 PM   #259
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
The amount of entitlement some posters are showing in this thread is ridiculous. "I pay money for tickets and I want to see Gaudreau and Monahan and now the game is going to suck and rabble rabble rabble".

It's disappointing that these guys were scratched, but I'm glad it's happening if there is a reason for doing so.
I'd venture to say if you pay good money to attend the game you are entitled to watch the star players.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:53 PM   #260
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I honestly can't believe the fans are even debating this one.

Player(s) screws up and violates team policy: Punish them accordingly.

What is there even to debate?
The punishment and its effect on the fans enjoyment of the product they paid money to see.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote