Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-09-2016, 05:37 PM   #221
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
because the team is in control of when they scratch him or how they punish him.
I see we have a winnable road game against Buffalo on March 3. By your logic, should Hartley have announced the trio would be suspended for one game in a month's time to teach them a lesson while minimizing the impact on the fan's experience and our team's playoff chances?
burnitdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:38 PM   #222
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Winning a cup takes discipline, sacrifice and hard work, not showing up late to practice because you wanted to party.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 05:38 PM   #223
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
There's got to be a better way to punish them that doesn't affect the team's playoff chances at such a critical time.
I have to say -- if there's fire behind this smoke, then this decision can only HELP the team's playoff chances. There'll never be a better opportunity to give the team a wake-up call and STILL have a good chance to get a "big 2 points." And based on how the team has played to date, maybe it's time for that wake-up.

If there are dressing-room issues or accountability issues...it's affecting more than just the 3 guys we're talking about here. It affects team chemistry and morale.

Could we look back on this game in a few weeks and say "that's when it turned around!" ...? Maybe. Probably not, but I think that's as likely as the alternative -- which would be suddenly turning into a 0.700 hockey team out of the blue and making the playoffs.
Cube Inmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:39 PM   #224
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There's got to be a better way to punish them that doesn't affect the team's playoff chances at such a critical time.
Really? Let's put aside getting the message to these kids that this is not okay early on in lieu of some playoff hopes that realistically went the way of the Dodo two months ago.

Let's worry about getting these guys sorted out instead of some stupid selfish need to be entertained at any cost. Any team that puts standings ahead of player accountability is one I'd have a very hard time cheering for.

If this sticks tonight, I'll be happy they're at least trying to set these guys straight fast.
Old 02-09-2016, 05:39 PM   #225
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyzz View Post
Haha you're so out of touch with how things work.. I don't think you understand how these guys party.
And you do?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:39 PM   #226
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, Gaudreau, Monahan, and Bouma are drug addicted alcoholics. Case closed. Nothing more to see here folks. The evidence presented to back up these claims speaks for itself.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 05:40 PM   #227
Benched
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

also, TO is one of the ones we're racing in the inverse standings.

this is a sweet tactical time to do this. win? great! we still have a slim playoff hope. lose? great! we're closer to Austin Matthews vs. a competitor.
Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:41 PM   #228
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
I have a problem believing Harley would do this as a knee jerk reaction. It's either something that's been building for a while, or was a very large infraction.
Hartley's been calling this team out for lack of urgency and intensity for a while. Even if this was just a first offence, the timing makes it especially troubling.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:41 PM   #229
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

I can confirm BigNumbers' source as legitimate, albeit a little late with how this has blown up.

I will remind posters to be very careful about posting unsubstantiated and potentially defamatory information about players on the roster. This is in contraventions of the rules of this site, and offenders will be sanctioned accordingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 05:41 PM   #230
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Players show up late and allegedly miss the video session for their upcoming opponents.

They are already hurting the team's playoff chances at a critical time.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2016, 05:41 PM   #231
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The thing is you guys are arguing about this from a little fairy tale "we're all a team and team is important" which makes sense as hardcore fans of this team who put it ahead of their own interests.

As a consumer if I had my tickets to this game then I paid to see the best Flames team available and now I'm getting a product that is missing TWO of it's marquee headliners cause the team can't suck it up and bench them at an away game.

It's like if you had tickets to Coachella, but the organizers decided to ban Guns N' Roses and Ice Cube cause they got drunk and peed on the promoters dog (lol k I don't know why that was the first thing that came to mind, but it seems like something they would do). Sure, they have every right to not let them play, but the fans have every right to be pissed off about it. Which is what you are seeing here.

Last edited by polak; 02-09-2016 at 05:45 PM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:41 PM   #232
EVERLAST
Franchise Player

Location: https://homestars.com/companies/2808346-keith-my-furnace-guy
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Okay, Gaudreau, Monahan, and Bouma are drug addicted alcoholics. Case closed. Nothing more to see here folks. The evidence presented to back up these claims speaks for itself.
And next they'll be knocking over refs ....they're out a control
EVERLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:42 PM   #233
Bezer
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stud_McCool View Post
I'm especially upset because I have Johnny and Monny in my pool!
Thoughts and prayers..
Bezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:42 PM   #234
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wonder if this has ever happened before, having two first line players and a 3rd liner rumored to be removed from the line up for discipline reason

Might be a new record... oh man

Still a good decision
flambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:43 PM   #235
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Color me surprised at a few of the posters who seem to be knowledgeable suggesting this has been an ongoing issue. That is a little disappointing. Two top players being benched for disciplinary reasons is big news, whether we like it or not. It doesn't have to be an issue forever, but its kind of a big deal it got to this point.

I thought the Flames overpaid guys like Engelland and Stajan for all the great leadership they bring.

I am good with holding the players accountable. But maybe the leadership on the team isn't all I thought it was.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:43 PM   #236
Singularity
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Can Brodie play as a forward?
Singularity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:44 PM   #237
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bennett better get 1st line time.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:45 PM   #238
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singularity View Post
Can Brodie play as a forward?
Engelland has previously. Move him up and play Nakladal as a regular Dman.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:45 PM   #239
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
The thing is you guys are arguing about this from a little fairy tale "we're all a team and team is important" which makes sense as hardcore fans of this team who put ahead of their own interests.

As a consumer if I had my tickets to this game then I paid to see the best Flames team available and now I'm getting a product that is missing TWO of it's marquee headliners cause the team can't suck it up and bench them at an away game.

It's like if you had tickets to Coachella, but the organizers decided to ban Guns N' Roses and Ice Cube cause they got drunk and peed on the promoters dog (lol k I don't know why that was the first thing that came to mind, but it seems like something they would do). Sure, they have every right to not let them play, but the fans have every right to be pissed off about it. Which is what you are seeing here.
I don't check stub hub all that much but wow do they seem cheap.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 05:46 PM   #240
MisterJoji
Franchise Player

Exp:

For those who are disappointed about not watching those 3 at the Dome tonight, you do get to see Nakladal live for the first time tonight. Ain't so bad.