Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #81
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripin_billie View Post
Now Apple is adapting and following. Also, it was Nokia's twitter response directly to the 5C release.
No doubt Apple stole colour from the Lumia due to Nokia's stellar sales.

Or more likely, like all vendors, they add features in multiple areas, some of which are new and some not so new.
edslunch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #82
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripin_billie View Post
Now Apple is adapting and following. Also, it was Nokia's twitter response directly to the 5C release.
I think just saying because iPhone has color backs now, they are "following" Nokia is a bit of a stretch. Actually Apple has quite a history of switching between color and monotone for marketing and sales purposes. Just look at the original iMac. They switch back and forth, and this has been quite well documented.

I don't quite know what to think of this release. On one hand, they did a great job improving the camera, improved battery 20% (8hrs to now 10hrs), and it is probably the fastest gaming phone out there. The fingerprint reader is pretty neat, as I hate the pass code system on my phone. This is actually a very good iteration by any standard comparison.

On the other hand, I think iOS is continuing to show its age. Without using it, it seems like the same old clunker with a new coat of paint. I understand that slow evolution is Apple's thing, but they have to overhaul this thing next year. Also, the 5C makes no sense. It is poised as a low cost iPhone but costs almost the same. Why on earth would you not but a used iPhone5, or save big by getting a 4S. Then again they pulled the same thing with the mini and it was a hit, so we'll see.

This phone will probably sell very well, but Apple has got to cook up something really new for next year. I am fully expecting they will. In the mean time it will be another year of Android slowly showing how behind Apple is getting in a lot of non hardware areas.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #83
sun
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Nothing overwhelming, but that's fine by me. Will be upgrading my 4 to the 5s.
sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #84
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Apple is in some significant trouble. All things considered, this has got to be considered somewhat competitive with the current android phones. Has some strengths and some weaknesses hardware-wise. Software, iOS has definitely fallen behind. But this is what they have for the whole next year. A bevy of new and improved android phones will come out before then. Apple really needs to diversify themselves, as the iOS devices are such a huge portion of their company's value now. Mac always kept their niche because they were generally a better product all in all than the Windows competitors, but this is not the case in this product war anymore. Maybe its just that Apples closed strategy worked with a control freak, evil genius at the helm, but really can't compete on that strategy without that element.

They better watch out, or they are going to be following in Blackberry's footsteps sooner than later.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #85
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

lol
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:44 PM   #86
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

The 5C at $550 $599 doesn't make any sort of sense in my opinion.

Does not compete with the Nexus brand at that price point, and still isn't cheap enough to be the $0 iPhone that people want.

Plus still is going to carry a $500 subsidy which means you will have to meet minimum commit in Canada and spend $70+ per month.

Not at all the cheap version that was speculated, just a colorful version of the 5.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 09-10-2013 at 01:49 PM.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:46 PM   #87
IGGYRULES
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
lol
http://www.meowgifs.com/wp-content/u...ting-apple.gif

Last edited by IGGYRULES; 09-10-2013 at 01:49 PM.
IGGYRULES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:47 PM   #88
ah123
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Also, the 5C makes no sense. It is poised as a low cost iPhone but costs almost the same. Why on earth would you not but a used iPhone5, or save big by getting a 4S.
Apple has had a very hard time breaking into China and other "developing" countries; android has a lot of "cheaper" phones available and the way I see it, the 5C is setup to compete in that space in those countries.
ah123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:49 PM   #89
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

So...from what I can tell the biggest changes are color options (covers anyone?) and a fingerprint sign-on feature (which my brothers 4 year old toshiba laptop has)?

How is this even passable as new?
Old 09-10-2013, 01:50 PM   #90
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ah123 View Post
Apple has had a very hard time breaking into China and other "developing" countries; android has a lot of "cheaper" phones available and the way I see it, the 5C is setup to compete in that space in those countries.
That only makes sense if the phone was actually cheap.

$599 is not a cheap alternative no matter how you slice it.
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2013, 01:51 PM   #91
Teh_Bandwagoner
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
lol
Not sure what you're lolling about. Oh for sure saying Apple will go the way of the BB is a total stretch. But it seems like each new release in the post-Job era has been more and more underwhelming. They've all but lost the creativity that made them huge in the first place. Price drops and different sizes (which I think they've already exhausted) can only go so far. They need something new and cool to really make them stand out of this market these days. Not sure why they're so stubbornly sticking to iOS in it's current format. Too proud to copy Android widgets maybe? Either way at this point there is little benefit to paying more for an iPhone when a cheaper Android serves the same functions.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #92
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
This phone will probably sell very well, but Apple has got to cook up something really new for next year.
What's left really? It's got to the point like consoles where every new generation is essentially the same with faster hardware. Sure there may be some software innovations in the coming years but at the end of the day smartphone technology has kind if hit the wall. If anyone cares to actually follow the market sales and trends, high end smartphones have hit market saturation. There is nowhere for Samsung (analysts claim they have peaked) to go but down but Apple will remain steady.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #93
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'll still with my Galaxy S4......nothing really new here worth changing for.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #94
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
That only makes sense if the phone was actually cheap.

$599 is not a cheap alternative no matter how you slice it.

Ya, that's not a budget phone in any market. Consider me surprised, I suspected it to be in the 400-450 range.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #95
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Ya, that's not a budget phone in any market. Consider me surprised, I suspected it to be in the 400-450 range.
I work in the industry and I can tell you we all were anticipating that this phone would fall in the $400-$450 range to compete with Androids Nexus offerings.

In my opinion the 5C is a complete miss.
  • Still going to require a full $500 subsidy (means >$70 rate plan on a 2-year contract).
  • $99 On-Contract Pricing (doesn't meet the essential $0 price point that the entry level customers want to pay)
  • $599 Outright pricing is not attractive pricing for customers like the Nexus line.
Old 09-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #96
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teh_Bandwagoner View Post
Not sure what you're lolling about. Oh for sure saying Apple will go the way of the BB is a total stretch. But it seems like each new release in the post-Job era has been more and more underwhelming. They've all but lost the creativity that made them huge in the first place. Price drops and different sizes (which I think they've already exhausted) can only go so far. They need something new and cool to really make them stand out of this market these days. Not sure why they're so stubbornly sticking to iOS in it's current format. Too proud to copy Android widgets maybe? Either way at this point there is little benefit to paying more for an iPhone when a cheaper Android serves the same functions.
The iPhone had a good run. Touch screen smart phone are getting closer and closer to be commoditized every day, and Apple is responding by increasing their price. The only thing they are counting on is the "our device is the it device" factor, and they really aren't doing much to keep that up.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2013, 02:01 PM   #97
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
What's left really? It's got to the point like consoles where every new generation is essentially the same with faster hardware. Sure there may be some software innovations in the coming years but at the end of the day smartphone technology has kind if hit the wall. If anyone cares to actually follow the market sales and trends, high end smartphones have hit market saturation. There is nowhere for Samsung (analysts claim they have peaked) to go but down but Apple will remain steady.
Next big innovation is going to be the flexible OLEDs.

First company that takes advantage of that technology will win, and that will likely happen in the next 12-18 months.
Old 09-10-2013, 02:02 PM   #98
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Early hands on the 5S

http://gizmodo.com/iphone-5s-meta-ha...eam-1286124051
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #99
HotHotHeat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey look all the people that hated on the iPhone before today don't think the 5s is a good phone. Really thought this would be the one that changed your minds.

Now, go change the font size of your clock and check Twitter through the widget!
HotHotHeat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HotHotHeat For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2013, 02:06 PM   #100
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
The iPhone had a good run. Touch screen smart phone are getting closer and closer to be commoditized every day, and Apple is responding by increasing their price. The only thing they are counting on is the "our device is the it device" factor, and they really aren't doing much to keep that up.
It's funny you say that. I wonder how much staying power that will have. This sort of thing happens with other products too. In my field (although not on the same scale) we have the Aeron chair. Very iconic with designers and people alike but quite an inferior chair ergonomically to what else is on the market now.....yet people still want them...have to have them. In all these years they haven’t changes their pricing strategy either. Herman Miller and Apple are much the same in that they are very powerful marketing companies.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote