Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2024, 01:10 PM   #41
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
Don't think we'll get a sniff at Celebrini but my pick is Ivan Demidov. Skates well on his edges and likes to hold on to the puck. Guys like this are play drivers.
He is a no brainer if he slides to us but he won't. I can't see him sliding out of the top 6.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 01:11 PM   #42
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
He is no where near MacKinnon, who was (rightly) considered a potential gnerational guy before he was drafted.

I think Celebrini is a clear step down from that
So probably closer to Toews level you would say?
Old 03-27-2024, 01:14 PM   #43
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think Celebrini is a guy that will flirt with 100 points every year once he hits his prime years but he isn't going to put up those huge totals a McDavid or MacKinnon can.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 01:14 PM   #44
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

If there's an elite centre or #1dman, take them.
If not, Iginla.

What I don't want it them passing on Iginla to take some 4th/5th ranked defensemen who's left on the board when the 2 or 3 you really wanted are gone.

I think Iginla should be about top 5 on the Flames internal list. You only pass on him if the 3/4 guys you can't say no to present themselves to you.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 01:20 PM   #45
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
So probably closer to Toews level you would say?
I am no Sandman when it comes to evaluating prospects. But IMHO, he looks more like Ron Francis than Toews. Cerebral, can make plays, probably will be a great player. Not sure he's ever leading the league in scoring or anything like that though.

(I know Francis is a HOFer, just comparing them for style)

Maybe for current players, Sebastian Aho? Possibly better though
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 01:24 PM   #46
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Defensemen under 30:

Andersson 27
Kylington 26 (assuming he re-signs)
Miromanov 26
Pachal 24
Okhotiuk 23
Solovyov 23
Poirier 21
Kuznetsov 21
Jurmo 21
Grushnikov 20
Morin 19
Brzustewicz 19
Hurtig 18

Centers under 30:

Sharangovich 25 (winger)
Schwindt 22
Zary 22 (winger)
Kerins 21
Lipinski 19

We do not have an NHL centerman under the age of 30, nor a prospect that we expect to become an NHLer.
If that is the list you missed for centers

Damiani - 23
Pospisil (listed as a center and Conroy has publicly talked about how him and Zary view themselves as centers) - 23
Ben Jones - 24
Ilya Nikolaev - 22
Clark Bishop - 27

So we end up with 10 centers for 4 spots and we end up 13 dmen for 6 spots. Most of the dmen under 30 that we expect to become NHLers (especially the waiver fodder we currently have on the big club for dmen 5-7) are there because we lack depth on defence. Part of the reason we do not have waiver fodder at center is because we have depth. But on a pure math basis under your criteria we have more depth at center than we do on defence.

The Flames have a few of defensive prospects that project out to be 5-6 dmen in the NHL. They have almost no prospects that look like they will be top 2 right now and maybe 2 that could be 3-4 guys. Regardless, to me it seems odd to reach for a guy if the top 4 forwards are gone and you are drafting 8th and there are 3 stud dmen available.

Last edited by Aarongavey; 03-27-2024 at 01:27 PM.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 01:30 PM   #47
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
If that is the list you missed for centers

Damiani - 23
Pospisil (listed as a center and Conroy has publicly talked about how him and Zary view themselves as centers) - 23
Ben Jones - 24
Ilya Nikolaev - 22
Clark Bishop - 27

So we end up with 10 centers for 4 spots and we end up 13 dmen for 6 spots. Most of the dmen under 30 that we expect to become NHLers (especially the waiver fodder we currently have on the big club for dmen 5-7) are there because we lack depth on defence. Part of the reason we do not have waiver fodder at center is because we have depth. But on a pure math basis under your criteria we have more depth at center than we do on defence.
Do you honestly think there is an NHL centerman on that list (other than maybe Zary)? I think Pospisil is only a winger, at the NHL level.

There are 5 NHL Dmen on that list, and several really good prospects. In fact, every one of those defenseman is a possible (or actual) NHLer. But on C, there isn't a single prospect that is even close to Morin or Brzustewicz.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 01:30 PM   #48
Ashes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
What is Celebrini's comparable?

Sakic? Yzerman?

Hischier? Hughes?

RNH?
Obviously not a talent comparable (but anything can happen), but I believe it was either Scott Wheeler or Sam Cosentino on the Fan960 a few months ago talking about Celebrini and stylistically the comparable was Crosby. He's right around the same size of player, powerful lower body and competes hard, does everything at a very very high level. Again, not saying he's the next Crosby but that's the player I've heard him compared to.
Ashes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashes For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 01:42 PM   #49
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I think Hage might be the steal of the draft. I would be thrilled if we drafted him.
At 8-10 though?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 01:55 PM   #50
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incogneto View Post
I don't know why at all, but Lindstrom is basically my top choice at #8-10. Just something about a big center that can skate and has a good shot. Sign me up for that!
Problem I see with Lindstrom is he seems to have tunnel vision and his compete isn't great away from the offensive zone, I think he'll end up as a middle 6 winger similar to a Anthony Mantha or if as a center a Kevin Hayes type that needs a slick winger to be successful.

He should be a good player but this team needs a skilled line driver, I just don't see that in Lindstrom
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 01:59 PM   #51
Tbull8
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Tij seems like he could click well with Huby one day. Hard nosed skilled winger with finish. Cristall is a great playmaker but his skating is pretty week. A player like Tij helps balance him out in Kelowna
Tbull8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 02:00 PM   #52
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you honestly think there is an NHL centerman on that list (other than maybe Zary)? I think Pospisil is only a winger, at the NHL level.

There are 5 NHL Dmen on that list, and several really good prospects. In fact, every one of those defenseman is a possible (or actual) NHLer. But on C, there isn't a single prospect that is even close to Morin or Brzustewicz.
Other than Jones, no. But on your list I would take off

Jurmo
Hurtig
Solovyov
Kuznetzov

None of those guys are "really good prospects". As for your list, the NHL dmen are really Kylington and Anderson. I strongly suspect Miromanov is also a NHL dman. But Pachal and Okhotiuk are guys who are currently playing in the NHL. They may at some point become NHL players but I doubt they would even be in the NHL with a playoff team.

But if we are talking about centers we are only talking about Celibrini, Lindstrom and Catton (Catton is a maybe, suspect he is a winger at the NHL) who are projected to possibly be BPA and around the Flames pick. Iginla is not a center at the junior level so he would be another winger. Any other centers are big reaches at 8th or 9th overall. Not sure why we would pick a winger, we already have way too many wingers. It would be disappointing for me if the Flames either took another winger or reached for a center if there were still 2-3 stud dmen on the board when they drafted, especially with the crazy amount of centers that are projected to go top 10 next year.

Last edited by Aarongavey; 03-27-2024 at 02:02 PM.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 02:04 PM   #53
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Problem I see with Lindstrom is he seems to have tunnel vision and his compete isn't great away from the offensive zone, I think he'll end up as a middle 6 winger similar to a Anthony Mantha or if as a center a Kevin Hayes type that needs a slick winger to be successful.

He should be a good player but this team needs a skilled line driver, I just don't see that in Lindstrom
good thing we'll be in a position to draft the likes of James Hagens, Roger McQueen or Michael Misa next year. Lindstrom centering a 2nd line would not be a bad thing then.

I know this franchise doesn't want to rebuild, but I'm convinced we are headed that way. They'll be dragged into it kicking and screaming, but I'd be surprised if we didn't challenge for a top 5 pick next year.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 02:05 PM   #54
TOfan
First Line Centre

Exp:

Surprised to see that Yakemchuk isn’t a more popular choice. Watched him several times this year in person and the upside is significant. Scorp was talking on a recent After Burner that a good upside comparable being Dougie Hamilton.

6’3” RHS who has a bomb and is an active offensive force from the backend might be too good to pass up if he’s still there 8-12. I think Wheeler has him at 4, he’s been climbing on most draft boards I’ve seen don’t is likely he’s gone by that range anyway.

The Flames can’t afford to pick Iginla on name value. I’d be happy if they’re able to pick BPA at their spot and try to acquire another mid round pick to grab Iginla if they want him. Seems like Tij may be a reach where the Flames are projected to be at this point.
TOfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 02:24 PM   #55
BarDown
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
At 8-10 though?
If they believe he could turn into a dynamic centre, absolutely.

There would probably be lots of chatter on draft day about how the flames reached for him, and the online "GM" draft grades wouldnt be great, but all of that gets forgotten pretty quick if he turns into a legit #1C.

Obviously the opportunity cost of passing up the other options to take a swing on a guy like Hage needs to be weighed, but if the team really believes in his upside then I'm good with taking a chance on him, even in that 8-10 range.

I think the draft lists we're privy to tend to echo each other and create a false sense of consensus while actual team lists probably have a huge degree of variation outside of the very top 2-3 players.

That said, I'm a complete sucker for draft lists and as such I would definitely prefer one of the guys who generally are ranked 5-10 on the lists I see: Catton, Lindstrom, Dickinson, Parekh, etc.
BarDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 02:31 PM   #56
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Today's the 11th anniversary of trading Iggy
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 03:06 PM   #57
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Flames win the lottery - no brainer - Celebrini.

If Flames is top 2, get Lindstrom

If Flames pick in 3rd position and Lindstrom is still available - no brainer there, otherwise I'd get Tij Iginla.

Pretty much all picks outside of top 2 centermen, you'd flip a coin or choose the bigger of the bunch. In this case, Tij Iginla is probably a safe bet from picks 3 to his projected draft position. I'd also package the other late 1st round pick with a prospect or a second rounder either to move up to get Tij Iginla or for somewhere in the next 2 years. It's not a deep draft like last year. So, positioning for target prospect is all you can hope for.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 04:15 PM   #58
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
If Flames win the lottery - no brainer - Celebrini.

If Flames is top 2, get Lindstrom

If Flames pick in 3rd position and Lindstrom is still available - no brainer there, otherwise I'd get Tij Iginla.

Pretty much all picks outside of top 2 centermen, you'd flip a coin or choose the bigger of the bunch. In this case, Tij Iginla is probably a safe bet from picks 3 to his projected draft position. I'd also package the other late 1st round pick with a prospect or a second rounder either to move up to get Tij Iginla or for somewhere in the next 2 years. It's not a deep draft like last year. So, positioning for target prospect is all you can hope for.

Iggy jr isnt even top ten for me never mind picking him ahead of Buium Dickinson catton demidov. I just dont get it. I sincerley hope he goes the pick beforehand we do and stop this nonsense. Id take hage over iggy and greentree would be a coin toss. Centers and top tier defenders some of who are slaughtering records so we pick a winger at three?

Not starting a fight so please dont take it so but i jus Don’t get it. If his name wasnt what it was the he would hit is bottom of the teens.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 04:15 PM   #59
Yanda
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cycling76er View Post
This is the toxic #### that makes people not login and contribute. Brutal
Yanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 10:09 PM   #60
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashes View Post
Obviously not a talent comparable (but anything can happen), but I believe it was either Scott Wheeler or Sam Cosentino on the Fan960 a few months ago talking about Celebrini and stylistically the comparable was Crosby. He's right around the same size of player, powerful lower body and competes hard, does everything at a very very high level. Again, not saying he's the next Crosby but that's the player I've heard him compared to.
That's who I put down as a Celebrini comparable in here awhile back. I think people forget that Mack is a 17 year-old until June 13th, and just put up the 3rd-best NCAA season for an under-18 player all-time (although the list isn't that impressive- he's behind Craig Simpson and Chris Valentine).

I think of him as a cross between Crosby and Toews.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote