Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2024, 06:49 PM   #2221
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
Thank goodness. That was a big whiff.
New design doesn’t guarantee better.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 06:56 PM   #2222
Tuco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Can't be any worse!
Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 06:59 PM   #2223
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why haven't the new designs been released yet? Usually they're out well before shovels go in the dirt
Old 03-27-2024, 07:00 PM   #2224
Tuco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
It'll be VERY similar to the previous design. Functionally, they took the 2021 design and spaced it out a bit. It'll be less squished onto the block since they have a lot more space.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Tuco For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 07:11 PM   #2225
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeway View Post
Last time, they did one permit for everything, but couldn't do anything on the site until it was approved.

This time, they split up the work into different permits, so the excavation and shoring can be done as soon as those permits are approved, and then the actual building work once that permit is approved.

In short: they're still targeting post-Stampede.
That is mind boggling... Where is the extra cash going? Figured we'd at least get something nice...
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Major Major For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 07:18 PM   #2226
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thank goodness. That was a big whiff.
What exactly was wrong with it functionally?
Old 03-27-2024, 07:20 PM   #2227
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm glad it's less "design-y" than the Roger's Center, which already feels extremely dated.
Honestly, as long as it's detailed well, the understated design will age much better.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 07:55 PM   #2228
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That man is unimpressed and both he and his suspenders want everyone to know that.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 08:20 PM   #2229
Tuco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
What exactly was wrong with it functionally?

I need to find the plans again. I wasn't a fan of the seating; I was hoping for something more inverted. Poor use of suites, clubs, and restaurants was another thing that bothered me. It honestly just left me unimpressed, zero innovation.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tuco For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 09:01 PM   #2230
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I need to find the plans again. I wasn't a fan of the seating; I was hoping for something more inverted. Poor use of suites, clubs, and restaurants was another thing that bothered me. It honestly just left me unimpressed, zero innovation.
A lot of arena builders have looked at the ‘inverted bowl’ design, but as far as I know they've all backed off from actually using it. It requires less real estate, but it's more expensive to build because of the extensive cantilevering required, and the extremely steep slope of the upper decks is not ideal for safety. The press level at the Saddledome gives me vertigo; the upper levels in an inverted bowl would likely be even steeper.

Frankly, there are enough excellent hockey arenas in North America that the Flames don't have to do more than copy what's already being done. Innovation often means being the first to make a mistake – which is why the Saddledome was the first and last arena built the way it was. All subsequent projects benefited by not repeating the same mistakes.
Old 03-27-2024, 10:23 PM   #2231
Tuco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

@JayRandom

Intuit Dome looks like it will have cool seating. Little Caesars in Detroit has unique seating. Comparing PL's at the Dome to a modern-day venue is way out to lunch. If that's the case, though, hopefully, they can make bigger stairs.

Last edited by Tuco; 03-27-2024 at 10:24 PM. Reason: can't quote user
Old 03-27-2024, 10:29 PM   #2232
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
@JayRandom

Intuit Dome looks like it will have cool seating. Little Caesars in Detroit has unique seating. Comparing PL's at the Dome to a modern-day venue is way out to lunch. If that's the case, though, hopefully, they can make bigger stairs.
Little Caesars isn't an inverted bowl. In fact, Rossetti bragged that if they had designed Little Caesars, they could have had the same seating capacity while reducing the footprint of the building by 300,000 square feet.

I'm not comparing the PL's at the Dome to a modern arena. I'm comparing it to the inverted bowl, which, I believe, is a design idea that's going nowhere.

As far as I can tell, the main feature they're selling at Intuit Dome is improved court-side seating for basketball, which is possible because it's a basketball-only arena and they don't have to set the seats back to accommodate hockey. I'd be interested to hear what other features make it special.

Last edited by Jay Random; 03-27-2024 at 10:33 PM.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay Random For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 10:35 PM   #2233
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Major View Post
That is mind boggling... Where is the extra cash going? Figured we'd at least get something nice...
Inflation and the "community arena" is my guess. They said improvements to the "public realm" parts (whatever it is that they mean by that) when they announced it. I'd really hope that they improve on the retail screen they had in the previous design... that was lackluster.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 10:39 PM   #2234
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
Inflation and the "community arena" is my guess. They said improvements to the "public realm" parts (whatever it is that they mean by that) when they announced it. I'd really hope that they improve on the retail screen they had in the previous design... that was lackluster.
The new price also includes money for an additional underpass on 6th Street, relocation of 5th Street to enlarge the arena site, and some other infrastructure work that wasn't considered part of the original deal.

I agree, the exterior of the old design was ugly. To me, it looked like the kind of exterior they slap on a parkade so you can't see that it's full of parked cars. But that's the easiest part of the whole project to remedy (and, unfortunately, the easiest to skimp on if they need to cut costs).
Old 03-27-2024, 10:40 PM   #2235
Tuco
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Little Caesars isn't an inverted bowl. In fact, Rossetti bragged that if they had designed Little Caesars, they could have had the same seating capacity while reducing the footprint of the building by 300,000 square feet.

I'm not comparing the PL's at the Dome to a modern arena. I'm comparing it to the inverted bowl, which, I believe, is a design idea that's going nowhere.
Detroit seems different from anything else. I wasn't aware that this was the norm. I stand corrected. Initially, I suggested something a bit more inverted. So, perhaps not a fully inverted bowl, but something more on top of the action. I'm probably using the wrong terminology, but I thought "inverted" meant more on top of the action.
Old 03-27-2024, 10:48 PM   #2236
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Detroit seems different from anything else. I wasn't aware that this was the norm. I stand corrected. Initially, I suggested something a bit more inverted. So, perhaps not a fully inverted bowl, but something more on top of the action. I'm probably using the wrong terminology, but I thought "inverted" meant more on top of the action.
The inverted bowl is kind of like ‘on top of the action’ turned up to 11. There are several upper decks, stacked one on top of the other, which is very expensive to build without having support pillars that obstruct the view. I don't have a link handy, but they've built life-size mockups of inverted bowl seating, and with each level being steeper than the one below it, I am told the top level is not for the faint-hearted.

The other thing about the inverted bowl is that it puts a lot of structural weight on a small ground area. The Wikipedia article on the Calgary event centre says that the inverted bowl might not even be possible on the Victoria Park site because the ground isn't suitable. I don't know if that's correct, as Wikipedia often needs to be taken with a big helping of salt.

I'd be very happy with something like Little Caesars, actually. I would probably be happier with that than with an attempt to do something bold and original, because CSEC does not have a good track record when it tries to be original.

Last edited by Jay Random; 03-27-2024 at 10:50 PM.
Jay Random is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jay Random For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 10:49 PM   #2237
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
I agree, the exterior of the old design was ugly. To me, it looked like the kind of exterior they slap on a parkade so you can't see that it's full of parked cars. But that's the easiest part of the whole project to remedy (and, unfortunately, the easiest to skimp on if they need to cut costs).
Better not. That it had a street facing activation aspect to it was the only part of it that I actually liked (didn't really like how and how little they were doing it but I was glad they at least had it).
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 11:04 PM   #2238
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
I'd be very happy with something like Little Caesars, actually. I would probably be happier with that than with an attempt to do something bold and original, because CSEC does not have a good track record when it tries to be original.
Nope, they suck badly. Best we can hope for is a value engineered, boring cookie cutter rink with way pricier seats/food/beverage. I guess faster bathroom trips for those in the lower bowl.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 11:17 PM   #2239
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The inverted bowl is kind of like ‘on top of the action’ turned up to 11. There are several upper decks, stacked one on top of the other, which is very expensive to build without having support pillars that obstruct the view. I don't have a link handy, but they've built life-size mockups of inverted bowl seating, and with each level being steeper than the one below it, I am told the top level is not for the faint-hearted.

The other thing about the inverted bowl is that it puts a lot of structural weight on a small ground area. The Wikipedia article on the Calgary event centre says that the inverted bowl might not even be possible on the Victoria Park site because the ground isn't suitable. I don't know if that's correct, as Wikipedia often needs to be taken with a big helping of salt.

LC is a fantastic arena, that would be a great rink to copy.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2024, 11:36 PM   #2240
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I believe the layout of the seating bowl will be nearly identical to Little Caesars, and also very similar to Rogers Place. That's not surprising since all 3 buildings are designed by HOK.

Spoilers for big images...
Spoiler!

When comparing the new development permit application to the 2021 design, the biggest difference is the new Event Level will be about 4.5m lower, which likely means the full lower bowl will be below street level. You will enter the building onto the main concourse and you will be at the top of the lower bowl.

In the 2021 design, you would have been about 2/3 of the way up the lower bowl on the concourse. When you entered the lower bowl from the concourse, there would have been about 15 rows in front of you to the ice and another 10 rows behind, with a Club level mezzanine at the top of the bowl.

In the new design (based on the excavation plan), you will likely be at the top of the bowl and there will be a club section one level down. Both Detroit and Edmonton have this same layout.

I suspect everything above the lower bowl level will be the same as the 2021 design (which is very similar to Little Caesars). The 2021 design had a "balcony" level above the upper bowl that would have likely been similar to the Gondola seats in Detroit (overhanging the upper bowl like a press box).