Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2012, 11:45 AM   #861
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

So... what did Kolanos do that failed to meet the standards of the Heat? I get that he was floating in the previous game but would that really warrant taking your leading scorer out of the lineup when scoring goals was one of the biggest problems in the entire serious?

Smells like something else must've been going on to warrant such a harsh response from Ward.
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:32 PM   #862
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredr123 View Post
So... what did Kolanos do that failed to meet the standards of the Heat? I get that he was floating in the previous game but would that really warrant taking your leading scorer out of the lineup when scoring goals was one of the biggest problems in the entire serious?

Smells like something else must've been going on to warrant such a harsh response from Ward.
There very well could have been something else that got him scratched.

I'm just making an educated guess that between Kolanos' floating and complete lack of passion and Ward's comments about having "standards" the players must comply to, I think that's the reason he was sat, but I could be way off.

Just as a side note, if Ward was the coach of the Flames last year, Bouwmeester's Iron Man streak would've been ended.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #863
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre "Monster" McGuire View Post
Just as a side note, if Ward was the coach of the Flames last year, Bouwmeester's Iron Man streak would've been ended.
I think that's a +1 to Ward for most people on here.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #864
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I think that's a +1 to Ward for most people on here.
Not only that, but Jokinen would have been sat at times, Comeau would have been sat, Butler would have been say simply to observe the game and gain perspective and learn, and Jackman (when he was struggling) would have been sat.

Despite this "tough love" approach, the players still have a respectful attitude towards Ward, so from what I can see, there's no hard feelings towards him.

With that said, it remains to be seen whether or not this type of technique will fly with veterans. I guess we'll see if Ward gets hired.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2012, 04:30 PM   #865
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think this lose is good for Ward's chances to be the next Flames coach but what do I know?
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #866
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I don't think this lose is good for Ward's chances to be the next Flames coach but what do I know?
Yeah, it's tough to say. Ward made some curious moves in this last series that is definitely going to be looked at by Feaster and company. The Kolanos sitting, in my opinion, was justified. I'm a little confused as to why he took Reinhart out since almost everybody's expectations were exceeded by him. A lot of the Heat fans I've talked to are pissed off because he only played two lines in OT, but what other options did he have really?

I think if we all look at the season as a whole, it was a success for Ward and most of his players.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #867
J epworth
Franchise Player

Exp:

They were talking about the Heat on the TEAM 1040 this morning, how do you stay silent when they say stuff like that about the Flames VANFLAMESFAN? I was very close to calling in about all those talks about how unexciting the hockey is and that Canucks prospects are so much better than Flames ones, like we are in shambles. Then the one call in that actually supports the Heat gets hung up on.

Very infuriating, but I guess I need to get used to this anti-Calgary vibe while I live in Vancouver for the summer.
J epworth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J epworth For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #868
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weren't the Wolves ousted in the first round?

If there's any team in the league with a worse prospect pool than the Flames, it's the Canucks.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 01:29 PM   #869
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Weren't the Wolves ousted in the first round?

If there's any team in the league with a worse prospect pool than the Flames, it's the Canucks.
I agree.

Jordan Schroeder is still a project because of his size, but he is very small. Nicklas Jensen is looking like a bit of a steal at #29 for the Canucks. Connaughton (sp?) looks like he should be a forward because he's pretty weak on defense. Eddie Lack is a great goaltending prospect.

From doing a bit of research (only looking at stat lines), the Canucks prospect base does not look as good as the Flames' prospects.
Old 05-11-2012, 03:11 PM   #870
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey everyone, just thought I'd put this out there.

At 4:00 MT (3:00 PST) today, there will be a live Heat Season Review blog going on that anyone can join in on.

You can find it here: http://abbotsfordheathub.com/2012/05...2-season-wrap/

Some of the people that will be live blogging include Ryan Pinder, Harrison Mooney (Pinder's colour commentator), Cam Tucker from the Vancouver Province, and Dan Kinvig from the Abbotsford News.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #871
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hey everyone, just thought I'd put this out there.

At 4:00 MT (3:00 PST) today, there will be a live Heat Season Review blog going on that anyone can join in on.

You can find it here: http://abbotsfordheathub.com/2012/05...2-season-wrap/

Some of the people that will be live blogging include Ryan Pinder, Harrison Mooney (Pinder's colour commentator), Cam Tucker from the Vancouver Province, and Dan Kinvig from the Abbotsford News.
All four are fine, fine hockey people. (And great writers.)

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 01:50 PM   #872
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bodog.com has set their odds for the next head coach of the Calgary Flames. According to them, Troy Ward has the best odds:

http://wagering.ca/nhl-loser-team-props-at-bodog-ca/

Quote:
Who will be the Calgary Flames next head coach?

Troy Ward 7/4
Bob Hartley 5/2
Craig Mctavish 6/1
Mike Sullivan 8/1
Bob Boughner 9/1
Marc Crawford 10/1
Ron Wilson 10/1
Terry Murray 12/1
Paul Maurice 12/1
Jacques Martin 15/1
Old 05-12-2012, 02:38 PM   #873
Jing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Not only that, but Jokinen would have been sat at times, Comeau would have been sat, Butler would have been say simply to observe the game and gain perspective and learn, and Jackman (when he was struggling) would have been sat.

Despite this "tough love" approach, the players still have a respectful attitude towards Ward, so from what I can see, there's no hard feelings towards him.

With that said, it remains to be seen whether or not this type of technique will fly with veterans. I guess we'll see if Ward gets hired.
You could probably add Iginla to that list of players.

The tough love approach has worked with the youngsters, but we do not know how it will work with some of the veterans. I guess we will only find out if Ward is indeed the next head coach.
Jing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 01:46 AM   #874
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good news... I guess:

http://www.abbynews.com/news/151140035.html

Quote:
The Abbotsford Entertainment and Sports Centre ran an operating deficit of $2.83 million in 2011 – $400,000 less than the amount anticipated.
Quote:
In March, prior to the completion of financial records for the year, it was predicted that the AESC would run a deficit of $3.25 million, with $1.1 million attributed to the Abbotsford Heat supply fee agreement which guarantees the local AHL hockey squad break-even revenue of $5.7 million. If the team falls short of that mark, the city compensates the difference.
I've always wondered how much money the City of Abbotsford would lose without the Heat as their main tenant at the AESC? If it's more than $1.1 million, what's all the complaining for? Be thankful it's only $1.1 million and not $3 million.

Regardless of the losses, I'm just going to keep enjoying having them here while I still can.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #875
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope they stay in Abbotsford. I really like the arena and the Canadian location for our farm team. If they do leave, I'd love to see them stay in Western Canada. Come to think of it, Calgary wouldn't be a bad destination. I believe they'd draw well here, even before a well-planned marketing campaign.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:38 AM   #876
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Agreed. I think Flames fans are hardcore enough that we could easily fill the Winsport arena at COP. Shoot, I bet CP members alone could fill half this place up:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=193996
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 12:52 PM   #877
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

A $1.1M payout from Abbotsford's population of 133,000 isn't much compared to the C of Glendales $25M payout from a population of 226,000.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #878
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A $1.1M payout from Abbotsford's population of 133,000 isn't much compared to the C of Glendales $25M payout from a population of 226,000.
Well that puts things in perspective. Thanks Vulcan haha.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:48 PM   #879
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Year -end Press conference
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2012, 04:49 PM   #880
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Agreed. I think Flames fans are hardcore enough that we could easily fill the Winsport arena at COP. Shoot, I bet CP members alone could fill half this place up:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=193996
I would have to counter-bet you and say that less than a quarter of the people CP are casual fans of the Heat and even fewer regularly follow the Heat.

But having the team in Calgary would almost force an interest on the population, which would probably get people going to the games.

Here, most people don't even know what AHL means. Like Ryan Walter said, people actually say, "When do the Heat play the Vancouver Giants?". And as soon as they hear it's Calgary Flames affiliated, that's it - they're not supporting anything like that.

Tags
heat