Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2017, 04:41 PM   #41
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I'll never forget his two goals as a rookie in game 7 vs the Devils in '01!

Man, hockey was so much more innocent and fun back then. I know the magnitude of the game helps, but it really doesn't discredit what has clearly been the downfall of exciting hockey; Stick work and body positioning.

Those two things were always going to progress, but they've progressed to the point where they've become stronger than offensive creativity can counter. You watch that first goal by Tanguay with the "wrap around the net out front, spin and fire", it was so fun and exciting to watch, but you know that's an automatic shot block in today's NHL, you see it multiple times a game and the crowd doesn't even bite on the "chance" because they know.

Anything that can become a cool scoring chance now a days is met with a stick or body in the way a split second later. It truly is the number one killer of exciting hockey.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:19 PM   #42
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I loved the idea of Tanguay the player, I liked the idea of Tanguay as a flame.

However, he was generally a disappointment to me as a flame and huselius was a better a one dimensional playmaker than Tanguay. Throw in his whining about ice time and being a pk'er, good riddance.

Bye to the most Frustrating Mr. "Just shoot the frigin puck" player ever.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 05:46 PM   #43
locsofblu
First Line Centre

Exp:

I always liked Tanguay and I will always remember that day in 2006 when I heard we traded for him. Great memories indeed.
locsofblu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:32 AM   #44
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I'll never understand the grief he got for ''pouting'' his way off the team. When he left the first time, he didn't make any public statement about wanting out. He never publicly made a trade request. Not only did it all go down quietly and without distraction, but he didn't even get traded until the off-season. I've yet to see any article or interview with him asking for a trade during that season. Because as far as I know, he kept it private between him and team. Exactly how it should go down.

Keenan took him off of Iggy's line and put him on the PK. He still had a +11 rating that season in a more defensive role, and put up 58 points. Something no Flames' player is likely to put up this season. It wasn't the role he signed up for, but I thought he did a decent job and I remember poster here saying he looked pretty good defensively.

Did he play up to his full potential the 2nd stint? He more then met his quota the first year and was publicly proclaimed by the very media who mocked the signing, as the best FA signing of the summer. The entire team was in shambles in year 2. But yet again, he played out the entire season. Not once was he ever traded or did he ''quit'' on the team mid-season with the Flames.

IMO that criticism is completely overblown, and was likely made to be an issue because he didn't always show the most emotion, or might not have been the most vocal person on the bench when the TV camera panned over to him.
In his second stint, he did publicly admit that he basically quit after Iginla got traded. People were speculating that he wasn't putting in full efforts, and I for one just assumed he was just emotional from seeing Iginla leave the team (who was the biggest reason for him returning to the Flames). I really soured on him at that point too, though I was rather disgusted by the returns on that trade.

With that being said, he has been one of the most entertaining players on the Flames for the last 15 years. I thought he was one of the league's best playmakers, and he had such an underrated shot. He was often a treat to watch. Everyone and their dog knew he was going to pass it to Iginla, but teams had such a tough time stopping both the pass and that shot. It was Calgary's version of Hull and Oates - just didn't have a catchy name.

In the end, we just have to remember that even though someone is making millions, they don't stop being human and things affect them. Some more than others, but that is life. It didn't erase all the amazing plays and high entertainment value he brought.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:47 AM   #45
gt4flames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Tanguay was a better version of Huselius(sp?) [JUICE]. Him and Iggy always has chemistry. Too Bad 89p iggy and 82 p cammy were a year late(08/09) on him being their passing LW.

Great Career. Goes straight into the the Hall of "that many game and that many points?!"
gt4flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:04 AM   #46
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
In his second stint, he did publicly admit that he basically quit after Iginla got traded. People were speculating that he wasn't putting in full efforts, and I for one just assumed he was just emotional from seeing Iginla leave the team (who was the biggest reason for him returning to the Flames). I really soured on him at that point too, though I was rather disgusted by the returns on that trade.

Can you show any proof/interview where he said such a thing? If something does exist, then I'll take back what I said earlier about him not pouting. But you're the 5th or 6th person to say he did these things, and yet I cannot recall a single instant where he publicly 'whined' to anybody, much less gave an interview to the media, and publicly admitted to quitting on the team when Iginla was traded. He was sad like pretty much everyone here was. The only thing I can recall is that it was in fact confirmed he made a trade request his 1st stint with the Flames. But again, he did it privately, without distraction, and played out the entire season. He asked for the trade because he wasn't happy with his role. I'm not sure why that's being held against him. Literally everybody on CP who has ever worked a day in their life has likely felt the same at some point.

But other then the fact that he kind of has the facial features of somebody who might seem sad all the time, what proof is there of any whining, pouting, or quitting on the team that seems so rampant in this thread?

Last edited by Huntingwhale; 02-17-2017 at 09:08 AM.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:56 AM   #47
SOMBRI2
First Line Centre

Exp:

"Shooooooooooot!" Thanks, Tanguay.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
SOMBRI2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SOMBRI2 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 11:00 AM   #48
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Can you show any proof/interview where he said such a thing? If something does exist, then I'll take back what I said earlier about him not pouting. But you're the 5th or 6th person to say he did these things, and yet I cannot recall a single instant where he publicly 'whined' to anybody, much less gave an interview to the media, and publicly admitted to quitting on the team when Iginla was traded. He was sad like pretty much everyone here was. The only thing I can recall is that it was in fact confirmed he made a trade request his 1st stint with the Flames. But again, he did it privately, without distraction, and played out the entire season. He asked for the trade because he wasn't happy with his role. I'm not sure why that's being held against him. Literally everybody on CP who has ever worked a day in their life has likely felt the same at some point.

But other then the fact that he kind of has the facial features of somebody who might seem sad all the time, what proof is there of any whining, pouting, or quitting on the team that seems so rampant in this thread?
I spent about an hour looking for it. IIRC, he made comments in the ballpark of "I gave up" or "I didn't play as hard as I could have" (something close to that anyways) and said that the Iginla trade affected him. It was in a video, but for the life of me I can't find it. I will keep searching for it, as I know what you mean by BS rumors and that gets attached to players and keeps getting passed on. I remember that distinctly because I defended Tanguay, and then my jaw dropped when he admitted it.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:13 AM   #49
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

A solid career for a guy who was never the main guy on his teams... 800 points is amazing and I wish him the best in his retirement.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:54 AM   #50
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
I spent about an hour looking for it. IIRC, he made comments in the ballpark of "I gave up" or "I didn't play as hard as I could have" (something close to that anyways) and said that the Iginla trade affected him. It was in a video, but for the life of me I can't find it. I will keep searching for it, as I know what you mean by BS rumors and that gets attached to players and keeps getting passed on. I remember that distinctly because I defended Tanguay, and then my jaw dropped when he admitted it.
Fair enough. He very might have used the ''I didnt' play hard enough'' line, but literally every single NHL player has said that at some point. IMO it doesn't make them a whiner or quitter.

In the end, I just think it's an unfair label that got attached to him for no reason other then he slouches a bit, his mouth is a bit open in a bunch of his photos and it gives the impression that he's down and out, or 'sad'. But you don't make it to the NHL and score as many points as he did by being a quitter.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:09 PM   #51
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Man, hockey was so much more innocent and fun back then. I know the magnitude of the game helps, but it really doesn't discredit what has clearly been the downfall of exciting hockey; Stick work and body positioning.

Those two things were always going to progress, but they've progressed to the point where they've become stronger than offensive creativity can counter. You watch that first goal by Tanguay with the "wrap around the net out front, spin and fire", it was so fun and exciting to watch, but you know that's an automatic shot block in today's NHL, you see it multiple times a game and the crowd doesn't even bite on the "chance" because they know.

Anything that can become a cool scoring chance now a days is met with a stick or body in the way a split second later. It truly is the number one killer of exciting hockey.

A little off topic, but I agree. The golden age for hockey was early 90s to 2004. Perfect mix of clutching grabbing, skill and grit.

The early days of post-lockout were interesting, but quickly turned into what we have today.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:52 PM   #52
flamesfan1297
First Line Centre

Exp:

Does Tanguay make the HHOF one day?

Halloween candy is horrifying.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
"Putting nets on puck."

- Ferland 2016
flamesfan1297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 12:58 PM   #53
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan1297 View Post
Does Tanguay make the HHOF one day?
Man, the halls going to be pretty full by the time they get to him. Fleurys not even in the hall yet....

Last edited by dammage79; 02-17-2017 at 01:00 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 01:03 PM   #54
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Fair enough. He very might have used the ''I didnt' play hard enough'' line, but literally every single NHL player has said that at some point. IMO it doesn't make them a whiner or quitter.

In the end, I just think it's an unfair label that got attached to him for no reason other then he slouches a bit, his mouth is a bit open in a bunch of his photos and it gives the impression that he's down and out, or 'sad'. But you don't make it to the NHL and score as many points as he did by being a quitter.
His reputation for being a whiner and a quitter came more from his actions on the ice. When he did not get the linemates he wanted or was suddenly unhappy with where he was he wouldn't try. It was not just on the Flames that this happened, he was pretty much a no show when he was with TB. In Montreal he got points but didn't want to be there so he just packed it in after game 50.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:31 PM   #55
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of my favourite players ever. Although one of my clearest memories was being surprised to see him through a body check one game. Then being not so surprised when he left the game with a shoulder injury and didn't return.

Hard no to HHOF. Avs jersey retirement though? Certainly a 'forever an Av' if they do that sort of thing.

7th all time franchise pts (incl. Nords). 5th games played as an Av (top 3 are retired, Cody McLeod is still active).
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #56
MikeMc
Scoring Winger

Exp:

One of my least favorite Flames ever. So much skill but Jesus he drove me nuts.
MikeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeMc For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 02:26 PM   #57
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Congrats on a great career. Yeah he was frustrating at times but still contributed to some of the most exciting offensive hockey I have ever seen from the Flames.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #58
Jetfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Definite no to the HHOF. If there was a "Hall of Really Good" down in the basement of the HHOF he'd be right in there.
Jetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:02 PM   #59
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
His reputation for being a whiner and a quitter came more from his actions on the ice. When he did not get the linemates he wanted or was suddenly unhappy with where he was he wouldn't try. It was not just on the Flames that this happened, he was pretty much a no show when he was with TB. In Montreal he got points but didn't want to be there so he just packed it in after game 50.
You mean in Montreal when he missed 32 games with a major shoulder injury, then he came back too early and re-injured it again? That time he packed in it?

He wasn't at his best the season after in TB. But maybe it had something to do with a major injury like that.
Old 02-17-2017, 05:59 PM   #60
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Yup, it's also that his style of play was never exactly 'balls to the wall'. Playing with good players his methodical patience /calmness on the ice worked great. Just not as effective for setting up plugs.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote