Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-2017, 09:57 AM   #201
Kswiss
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
In NE Calgary schools in the 80's, we called it Murderball.

Go figure!
As a guy from the hood. I can confirm.

Ah that game was death.
Kswiss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kswiss For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 09:59 AM   #202
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Oh man, I forgot all about McOrange Drink. That crap used to be a staple.

I can still envision the huge yellow cooler.
My friends and I used to dare each other to drink the concentrate before it was safely diluted into the big containers. If I end up full of terrible cancers I'll know the cause.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:01 AM   #203
The Goon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

In suburban Toronto in the 80s, we used to toboggan in the hydro fields near our neighbourhood. Tried to steer our sleds through the hydro towers, even as they sometimes sizzled above us.
We may curse our bad luck that it's sounds like its; who's sounds like whose; they're sounds like their (and there); and you're sounds like your. But if we are grown-ups who have been through full-time education, we have no excuse for muddling them up.
The Goon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:14 AM   #204
manwiches
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

For my East Asian/Chinese brethren here

The dreaded bamboo duster... omg that hurt. Myself, my cousin and I saw the long end of many beatings with that among others. Leather belt, wooden spoon, hand. And even if one of us was innocent, we both still got it. We laugh our heads off now about it, and bug our parents still about it. They don't feel bad, and we turned out perfectly fine.

This is going to sound very 'Old man yelling at clouds' and I might be in the minority, but i think corporal punishment within reason is still acceptable. I'm not old by any stretch, but I see a alot of kids and even 'adults' in their 20s nowadays that should have gotten a good smacking a few times in their lives.
manwiches is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manwiches For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 10:14 AM   #205
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Then you probably recognize this.

ouch! and I was a good kid too!

I remember my brother losing it and grabbing the wooden spoon from my mother and snapping it in half when getting hit for something.

One thing I also remember is the absolute amount of snow balls that were created and used throughout the winter. in particular, anything that was happening outside was immediately stopped upon the cry of "bus!!!". The city bus would drive down the street to be pelted with as many snow balls as could be created and chucked. I can only imagine what it must have sounded like on the bus as snowballs came from all sides.

Last edited by McG; 01-13-2017 at 10:33 AM.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:30 AM   #206
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
300 years ago, educated people drank mercury for medicinal purposes

the evidence is still out on its effectiveness
They also used lead to sweeten their wine. It works too. Plumbum delicious!

Those guys were geniuses.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:32 AM   #207
wookster
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I remember the strap when I was in Junior High School...I never got it but a couple of my friends did.

I come from rural Alberta, our school used to run "slave days" as a fundraiser for trips etc. where kids from the school would go out and do manual labour in the community and the people they worked for would give the school money. Without fail the boys would always get stuck picking rocks for some farmer for the day.

In the winter we used to always wax up an old car hood, I believe it was a buick, and pull it behind a snowmobile. Was a blast actually, you could fit 4 people easy on the hood and the ole Arctic Cat Panther had plenty of power to pull them all....
wookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:47 AM   #208
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by socalwingfan View Post
In elementary there was a movie for the safety patrols - the theater was downtown and me and my friend were allowed to make the trip from Willow Park to downtown by ourselves. Think we took a couple of buses - using the old transfer ticket which was a piece of paper rippeed off at the expiration time
My buddy and I were in grade 5 when we took public transit downtown by ourselves for the first time, to watch a double-feature of Watership Down and Lord of the Rings at the Grande Theatre. There's no reason not to let kids do that today. I plan on teaching my kids to use public transit by themselves to go the mall, movies, etc. in a couple years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
This is going to sound very 'Old man yelling at clouds' and I might be in the minority, but i think corporal punishment within reason is still acceptable. I'm not old by any stretch, but I see a alot of kids and even 'adults' in their 20s nowadays that should have gotten a good smacking a few times in their lives.
Given the fact corporal punishment is still the norm among most immigrant groups to Canada, I guess we'll find out if it results in a generation of monsters. I doubt it.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:54 AM   #209
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
My buddy and I were in grade 5 when we took public transit downtown by ourselves for the first time, to watch a double-feature of Watership Down and Lord of the Rings at the Grande Theatre. There's no reason not to let kids do that today. I plan on teaching my kids to use public transit by themselves to go the mall, movies, etc. in a couple years.

Given the fact corporal punishment is still the norm among most immigrant groups to Canada, I guess we'll find out if it results in a generation of monsters. I doubt it.
I'm assuming that your talking about the animated Lord of the Rings right?

I used to love those kind of adult animated movies.

I still remember seeing Wizards which should be must watch viewing for college students

Or the first heavy metal movie which featured a ton of SCTV alums.

for some reason while animated movies today are brilliant to look at and watch, they sometimes seem to be pretty soulless.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 10:56 AM   #210
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

I had an interesting experience at our Safeway a few months ago. Ahead of me at the checkout was a black man who turned to me and said, "You people pay way too much for organic vegetables. Where I come from in Africa, all of our vegetables are organic, as we only put manure on our fields".

I thought for a moment and told him his comment reminded me of a cute joke my Grandfather told me back in the 40's, and he said, "Go ahead, I can take a joke".

the joke:

A black boy was walking down the road with a wheelbarrow full of manure.

A white boy came up to him and said, "Whatcha going to do with that?"

The black boy said, "We puts it on our strawberries".

The white boy responded "We put cream and sugar on ours".

The black man burst out in laughter, and when he had finished checking out he came back and shook my hand.

IMO today many people are taking things far too seriously, and should be less judgmental on us old folks.

Last edited by flamesfever; 01-10-2017 at 11:02 AM.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to flamesfever For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 11:02 AM   #211
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My buddy and I were in grade 5 when we took public transit downtown by ourselves for the first time, to watch a double-feature of Watership Down and Lord of the Rings at the Grande Theatre.
This is going to confuse the hell out of people who don't remember that there was ever an animated LOTR movie.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 11:06 AM   #212
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Old 01-10-2017, 11:39 AM   #213
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
This is going to confuse the hell out of people who don't remember that there was ever an animated LOTR movie.
It deeply saddens me that such people exist.
Old 01-10-2017, 11:40 AM   #214
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
It deeply saddens me that such people exist.
Young people?
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 12:21 PM   #215
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
It just ended in the middle of it though and they never made the rest.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:39 PM   #216
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Young people?
I've heard it's possible for people to know about stuff from before they were born. I've even tried an experiment with my own kids: I put on the original Star Wars for them, the one where Han and Leia aren't old people. At first, they were astonished such a movie existed. Once they got over their shock, they thought it was garbage, and got up and walked away. Still, I think it might be worth pursuing further. The original Jurassic Park, without the guy from Guardians of the Galaxy in it, is up on Netflix. This time, I think I'll trick the kids into thinking it's a sequel. Maybe they won't get up and walk away again.

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 01-10-2017 at 12:43 PM.
Old 01-10-2017, 12:46 PM   #217
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I wish millennials would stop forcing their kids into liking things they liked as kids. When little snotty Johnny and smelly Sally find Star Wars on their own they'll probably love it.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 12:53 PM   #218
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I'm hoping that 30 years in the future this thread will feature prominently the extinction of Hipsters.

We'll discuss the great thinning out of 2021 where 5 out of every 10 Hipster was humanely put down because no you didn't discover that band and your beard and hat and pointy shoes looked ridiculous so we had to kill you.

And then the accidental on purpose hunting license mistake made by the government where the word deer was replaced by Hipster and for seven glorious days Hipsters were hunted and mounted over fireplaces.

So in 30 years the thread "Things you can't believe used to be allowed/exist"

The first response will be hipsters.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 12:59 PM   #219
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Are hipsters still a thing? Are hipsters still a thing we complain about?
That's one step above complaining about Emo's.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2017, 12:59 PM   #220
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

I assume Lawn Darts with actual points were mentioned on page one. We would even sharpen ours as the points would dull. We used to toss them straight up and see who could stand still the longest.

We also played Murderball in gym. The teachers even called it that.

I worked at Safeway in the late 80s and one of the older cashiers got on the intercom one day and asked for a price check on Brazil nuts. The problem was she didn't say Brazil nuts, she used the other, non PC version "____ Toes". The entire store stopped for a few seconds and you could almost hear everyone thinking "she said what?!?!" Lucky for her there was a union.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote