Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-07-2016, 02:13 PM   #2281
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is very easy to hate Man City, but they do deserve credit for the fact they invest so heavily in putting out a winner. To quote Patrick Ewing "They make a lot of money, but they spend a lot of money too" (unlike say Arsenal...). Plus it'll be that much funnier when Leicester finishes ahead of them again next year.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:26 PM   #2282
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I dont get Koeman going from Southampton to Everton

they look likely to lose 2/3 of their big young 3 this summer, they don't have the youth set up in place, and now that he has made a move the pressure is on a bit

say he has another 2 good seasons with southampton, which with their stability and setup seems likely, then bigger jobs would open up

Barcelona has often been mentioned, Arsenal too

now unless he finishes top 6? with Everton when they need to rebuild a whole lot of the squad his shine gets a bit tarnished

just seems a weird sidewaysish movie to me
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 06-07-2016, 03:27 PM   #2283
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
I dont get Koeman going from Southampton to Everton

they look likely to lose 2/3 of their big young 3 this summer, they don't have the youth set up in place, and now that he has made a move the pressure is on a bit

say he has another 2 good seasons with southampton, which with their stability and setup seems likely, then bigger jobs would open up

Barcelona has often been mentioned, Arsenal too

now unless he finishes top 6? with Everton when they need to rebuild a whole lot of the squad his shine gets a bit tarnished

just seems a weird sidewaysish movie to me
They just got bought by a foreign investor and the indications are they want to spend. But yeah - weird move considering Southampton are in Europe this year and even if he let that contract run to its conclusion at the end of next season, he would be in line for great opportunities, since we know how long most coaches last now...
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:31 PM   #2284
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

well don't they have a new owner? Probably splashing quite a bit of cash themselves. Koeman probably thought he plateaued with Southampton, surely he couldn't take them further. Plus I'm sure he was tired of losing his best players every year ... surely Everton will lose one or two as well but they kept Stones last season. Cap it off with a nice pay rise and it's not that surprising. Especially because there aren't any high profile vacancies in world football right now.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:36 PM   #2285
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's also entirely possible he's simply gotten bored at Southampton and wants a new challenge and didn't feel like waiting for another season or two to find it.
Old 06-07-2016, 03:44 PM   #2286
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

its just a risk though, even with the new owner they are what maybe 9th in attracting players for English clubs?

the big 6 and now Id think West Ham move ahead with the new stadium too, plus for at least a season Leicester

it may turn out well, but I think it's a bad sideways move
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:25 AM   #2287
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
its just a risk though, even with the new owner they are what maybe 9th in attracting players for English clubs?

the big 6 and now Id think West Ham move ahead with the new stadium too, plus for at least a season Leicester

it may turn out well, but I think it's a bad sideways move
I hate that the Hammers are leaving Anne Bolyn but the deal they got on the Olympic Stadium probably puts them in a position to compete with the other top ten teams financially, which fills the new stadium which gives them more money etc etc I might actually see my hammers in a title hunt in a few years.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 02:44 PM   #2288
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

So United formally signed Eric Bailly. I like it.

BUT, as he's from Ivory Coast, does this mean we lose him for the month of January every two years for the African Cup of Nations? That tourney is scheduled at such a silly time.

http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Fe...illarreal.aspx
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2016, 02:56 PM   #2289
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd rather lose a player for a month every two years than having Phil Jones ... who is fit for a month every two years.

United have also officially signed 16 year old Feyenoord talent Tahith Chong. Not the biggest news, but I still want to post his pic again for ... reasons.

Old 06-08-2016, 03:09 PM   #2290
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
I'd rather lose a player for a month every two years than having Phil Jones ... who is fit for a month every two years.

United have also officially signed 16 year old Feyenoord talent Tahith Chong. Not the biggest news, but I still want to post his pic again for ... reasons.

I cant wait until Fellaini elbows a dude in the face and this kid gets the card by accident.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 03:16 PM   #2291
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I cant wait until Fellaini elbows a dude in the face and this kid gets the card by accident.
honestly I'd be shocked if Fellaini was still a United player in the fall.

but who knows really, the English press are clueless as always. The Bailly signing came out of the blue without any rumours, I wouldn't be surprised if Mourinho had a few other targets that the press don't know about. Instead those dorks have floated a "Matic to United" rumour ... lol.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:20 AM   #2292
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Swiss media reports say that Manchester United is about to sign Basel youngster Breel Embolo, apparently the clubs have already agreed on everything. Pretty surprising given that everybody expected him to go to Germany (Leipzig, Wolfsburg or Schalke) ... hope the rumour is true. Martial-Rashford-Embolo with Zlatan as a stop gap would be a pretty sick forward lineup.
Old 06-09-2016, 09:37 AM   #2293
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Swiss media reports say that Manchester United is about to sign Basel youngster Breel Embolo, apparently the clubs have already agreed on everything. Pretty surprising given that everybody expected him to go to Germany (Leipzig, Wolfsburg or Schalke) ... hope the rumour is true. Martial-Rashford-Embolo with Zlatan as a stop gap would be a pretty sick forward lineup.
I read a bunch of things saying that Spurs were signing him as well. There are so many reports at this point that who really knows. Like if Spurs signed all of the guys the media has them linked to it would be hundreds of millions of pounds.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:41 AM   #2294
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I read a bunch of things saying that Spurs were signing him as well. There are so many reports at this point that who really knows. Like if Spurs signed all of the guys the media has them linked to it would be hundreds of millions of pounds.
Can they sell Gareth Bale again?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2016, 10:51 AM   #2295
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Carrick re-signs a 1-year deal and United reportedly made an offer for Pogba.

Old 06-09-2016, 11:11 AM   #2296
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Carrick re-signs a 1-year deal and United reportedly made an offer for Pogba.
Got a link for the Pogba offer?
Old 06-09-2016, 11:20 AM   #2297
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
ESPN, so probably nothing in it.

the guy is going to Madrid man. Don't do that to yourself.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:25 AM   #2298
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
http://www.espnfc.us/story/2889180/m...madrid-sources

I dont link every little thing because, as we all know well, there isnt always any substance to it.

Real Madrid? Really? They need another attacking mid?

Old 06-09-2016, 04:10 PM   #2299
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Jamie Vardy looks to be edging closer to committing his future to Leicester and turning down the opportunity to join Arsenal, according to Bleacher Report.

The England international will reportedly sign fresh terms with the Foxes if he remains, leaving the Gunners to search elsewhere for a striker to supply competition for Olivier Giroud.
http://www.espnfc.us/blog/transfer-t...leicester-city

Honestly, I think thats best for Vardy, but correct me if I'm wrong, didnt he just sign a new contract with Leicester like 6 months ago? I recall being astonished at how low his wages were.

Old 06-09-2016, 04:15 PM   #2300
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't trust BR.
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post: