Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2020, 03:17 PM   #21
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

It probably wasn't safe for him to get a cup of coffee.

I also don't see the incest angle in that ad.
Old 01-25-2020, 03:19 PM   #22
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
He says that "it's a long way from West Africa", then says "Ah...Real coffee" in an exasperated voice.....like West Africa doesn't have some of the best and in highest demand coffee in the world, and likely far superior to what you'd find in a $10 tin of Folgers.

It's a pretty bizarre mistake from a company in the actual coffee industry.
The thing is, maybe he's talking about the trip, and having to deal with airport/plane coffee for who knows how long?

Also, I don't hear him say "real coffee", I hear "ahhh, coffee."
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2020, 04:29 PM   #23
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
The thing is, maybe he's talking about the trip, and having to deal with airport/plane coffee for who knows how long?

Also, I don't hear him say "real coffee", I hear "ahhh, coffee."
You're looking at the edited version. This is the unedited version:

I believe the idea is that he had been gone for quite some time, as he made a joke of pretending not to recognize the sister. He's wearing a bag that says "volunteer" to. It's possible that he is just talking about the flight, but he references "West Africa" and then makes a very relieved sigh to see the Folgers. Either way, it's one of many awkward lines in this commercial.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2020, 08:28 AM   #24
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
You're looking at the edited version. This is the unedited version:

I believe the idea is that he had been gone for quite some time, as he made a joke of pretending not to recognize the sister. He's wearing a bag that says "volunteer" to. It's possible that he is just talking about the flight, but he references "West Africa" and then makes a very relieved sigh to see the Folgers. Either way, it's one of many awkward lines in this commercial.
These actors were definitely ####ing.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 09:48 AM   #25
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I suppose this belongs here:
Quote:
In 1995 Pepsi ran a promotion where people could collect Pepsi Points and then trade them in for Pepsi Stuff. A T‑shirt was 75 points, sunglasses were 175 points, and there was even a leather jacket for 1,450 points. Wearing all three at once would get you some serious 1990s points.

The TV commercial where they advertised the points‑for‑stuff concept featured someone doing exactly that.

But the people making the commercial wanted to end it on some zany bit of “classic Pepsi” craziness. So wearing the T‑shirt, shades, and leather jacket, the ad protagonist flies his Harrier Jet to school. Apparently, this military aircraft could be yours for 7 million Pepsi Points.

The joke is simple enough: they took the idea behind Pepsi Points and extrapolated it until it was ridiculous. Solid comedy writing. But then they seemingly didn’t do the math. Seven million sure does sound like a big number, but I don’t think the team creating the ad bothered to run the numbers and check that it was definitely big enough.

But someone else did. At the time, each AV‑8 Harrier II Jump Jet brought into action cost the United States Marine Corps over $20 million and, thankfully, there is a simple way to convert between USD and PP: Pepsi would let anyone buy additional points for 10 cents each. Now, I’m not familiar with the market for second-hand military aircraft, but a price of $700,000 on a $20 million aircraft sounds like a good investment. As it did to John Leonard, who tried to cash in on this.
The rest of the story:

https://lithub.com/when-a-man-took-a...-chaos-ensued/

Last edited by Fuzz; 01-26-2020 at 10:24 AM.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2020, 12:50 PM   #26
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

This one always makes me laugh:

https://www.macleans.ca/general/fami...id-you-######/

Quote:
EDMONTON – A family has made its peace with Coca-Cola after discovering what appeared to be an offensive message printed on a bottle cap.

Doug Loates had complained to the company after his daughter and her husband in Edmonton found the words “You ######” under the cap of a bottle of Vitaminwater.
Old 01-26-2020, 01:05 PM   #27
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't believe there's people in here who don't see the sexual tension between the brother and sister in that ad

Maybe it's because I don't have a sister and you guys do. Is flirting with your sister like that normal?
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2020, 01:26 PM   #28
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
I can't believe there's people in here who don't see the sexual tension between the brother and sister in that ad

Maybe it's because I don't have a sister and you guys do. Is flirting with your sister like that normal?
I don't think I've ever looked any of my siblings directly in the eyes before.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote