Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2024, 03:25 PM   #141
rogermexico
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post
X-23 or bust! I have a theory she's Autistic.

I reallynliked the uniform changes in this week's episode. To be clear though I just enjoyed the change, not all of them were good(Jean).

Who wants a New Mutants or Young X-Men spinoff show?
I would absolutely love a New Mutants spinoff. Go full-blast 80s Sienkiewicz/Claremont weirdo teen melodrama. Give me all the extra-dimensional soap opera angst.
rogermexico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 03:39 PM   #142
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
You Scott apologists make me sick!

Listen, when he weaponized his autism for room lay outs and angles to kill people he got a lot more interesting.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Blaster86 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2024, 08:59 PM   #143
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Cyclops and Jean Grey are the worst. Just the worst.
Her Marvel Girl costume is her second ever look and it's so badly dated.

I would like a Young X-men show with, Surge, Rockslide, X-23, Pixie, Murcury and so on. I really enjoyed that run and they faced some great legacy villians in Belasco, Nimrod, and Deathstrike.
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2024, 09:12 PM   #144
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Because it looked like a discount Halloween costume?
I once met two Jean Grey's at a halloween party. One in the green original, and one in the red Phoenix outfit.

What a night.

This show f***ing rules.
Old 05-10-2024, 09:28 AM   #145
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I kind of like the Marvel Girl look in a kitchy mid century sorta way
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2024, 12:20 PM   #146
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duruss View Post
Her Marvel Girl costume is her second ever look and it's so badly dated.

Disagree, still looks amazing

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 05-15-2024, 03:30 PM   #147
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

"Oh dear."

Yep that about sums it up.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2024, 05:12 PM   #148
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else start whistling the song when they read this thread?

Wow wasn’t expecting a 40 minute episode. Just amazing! Got a bit emotional after everything came together at the end.

Great set up for S2. Can it start next week?
Old 05-16-2024, 07:58 AM   #149
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I really enjoyed that for the first time in 3 years we got some fantasy fiction context that could just be said to be good. no good but, it's just good.

Really happy with the experience. The X-men is actually the property I have the least faith in them to do well in the MCU, because I don't know that they will resist the urge to have Magneto be a 100 year old holocaust survivor, or tell us that tens of thousands of mutants have been around all along during the MCU events we watched, when the right thing to do is re-write the characters in a way that builds out and grows the MCU from where it is today, instead of retconning all of comic history into a story that didn't have space for it all.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 11:31 AM   #150
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
I really enjoyed that for the first time in 3 years we got some fantasy fiction context that could just be said to be good. no good but, it's just good.

Really happy with the experience. The X-men is actually the property I have the least faith in them to do well in the MCU, because I don't know that they will resist the urge to have Magneto be a 100 year old holocaust survivor, or tell us that tens of thousands of mutants have been around all along during the MCU events we watched, when the right thing to do is re-write the characters in a way that builds out and grows the MCU from where it is today, instead of retconning all of comic history into a story that didn't have space for it all.
I agree with you but we'll also get a chorus of whiny man-babies who want nothing to change from the comics because Disney has gone "woke". Morph goes by they/them and it got a bunch panties in a bunch.

Trying to shoehorn in 60+ years of history would be a disaster. They're iconic characters that can stand on their own by placing them in a modern setting with similar but modern backstories.

That said, unlike a lot of superhero franchises, they're also diverse enough characters that they don't need to be changed too drastically.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 12:29 PM   #151
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I agree with you but we'll also get a chorus of whiny man-babies who want nothing to change from the comics because Disney has gone "woke". Morph goes by they/them and it got a bunch panties in a bunch.

Trying to shoehorn in 60+ years of history would be a disaster. They're iconic characters that can stand on their own by placing them in a modern setting with similar but modern backstories.

That said, unlike a lot of superhero franchises, they're also diverse enough characters that they don't need to be changed too drastically.
I guess that depends on how they do it. I mean if this is one of those multiverse things they could just go without an origin story for the X-Men and then smash that universe into the MCU. Kinda like how they are doing with Deadpool and Wolverine.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 01:05 PM   #152
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
I guess that depends on how they do it. I mean if this is one of those multiverse things they could just go without an origin story for the X-Men and then smash that universe into the MCU. Kinda like how they are doing with Deadpool and Wolverine.
But it still is a problem that they keep trying to say things like Magneto is a WWII survivor, any way you cut it a 100 year old man just isn't a threatening enough villain. And the fundamental truth behind the character is that if you oppress people too harshly they will fight back in often evil and villianess ways.

There is plenty of history in the past 30-40 years to give the character that life experience without trying to ret-conn / rebuild a whole universe of story telling.
Old 05-16-2024, 01:19 PM   #153
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by #-3 View Post
But it still is a problem that they keep trying to say things like Magneto is a WWII survivor, any way you cut it a 100 year old man just isn't a threatening enough villain. And the fundamental truth behind the character is that if you oppress people too harshly they will fight back in often evil and villianess ways.

There is plenty of history in the past 30-40 years to give the character that life experience without trying to ret-conn / rebuild a whole universe of story telling.
I wouldn't be surprised if they pick something like Sokovia and draw allusions to it having experienced something similar to the Balkins in the 90s
Old 05-16-2024, 01:28 PM   #154
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Welp. *dusts off hands*

That was pretty goddamned satisfying.

I mean...they took a pretty goddamned big swing trying to bring this back and they could have rested on the fan-service and nostalgia of bringing back a beloved Children's entertainment show but instead they swung for the goddamned fences and I think they knocked it out of the Park.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2024, 01:31 PM   #155
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Morph goes by they/them and it got a bunch panties in a bunch.
Imagine somebody who can be anybody not being working within a gender normative. Insanity!

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 05-16-2024, 01:40 PM   #156
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they pick something like Sokovia and draw allusions to it having experienced something similar to the Balkins in the 90s
Might be too similar an origin to Zemo in Civil War.

The previous X-Men films already did an incredible job with Magneto's backstory. They can and should try something different with this incarnation when they decide to introduce him into the MCU.

But I honestly think they shouldn't use Magneto in the MCU. At least for a while. There are plenty of X-Men villains they could use first. Sinister being at the top of the list. Sauron would be a fun henchmen they haven't used. The Brood would be pretty easy as well but I wouldn't want them to face an intergalactic villain at the start.

Last edited by KTrain; 05-16-2024 at 02:26 PM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 01:46 PM   #157
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The previous X-Men films already did an incredible job with Magnetos backstory. They can and should try something different with this incarnation when they decide to introduce him into the MCU.

But I honestly think they shouldn't use Magneto in the MCU. At least for a while. There are plenty of X-Men villains they could use first. Sinister being at the top of the list. Sauron would be a fun henchmen they haven't used. The Brood would be pretty easy as well but I wouldn't want them to face an intergalactic villain at the start.
I was thinking that while I typed but stuck without our of a desire for Wanda and Petro to be mutants after all haha.

I think you're right, Sinister is at the top of the list. They've done Magneto, Apocalypse, Dark Phoenix (twice), and only given a vague tease of Sinister. Time to deliver.

But yeah, I feel like the X-men in the 616 will be some sort of Post Secret Wars soft reboot. Kinda like the DCEU was at one point planning on with the Flash.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2024, 03:01 PM   #158
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
I've actually thought about this a lot because the X-men 92 cartoons were really my intro to the superhero genre, and I loved X1 the movie. So I badly want them to do the characters right.

But I would be flabbergasted if they do anything other than make him a 100 year old holocaust survivor, which is the wrong choice. Even if they do make the right choice, there will be a chorus of liberal complaining about them minimize Jewish history instead of the understanding the point of the story is how you can only push people so hard before they push back. It is not meant to be a moral history lesson about the holocaust, that was just a vehicle for the story they were telling.

My 3 year X-men Elevator Pitch, spoilerred for size and those who don't care for crappy fan fiction.

Spoiler!

Quote:

The previous X-Men films already did an incredible job with Magneto's backstory. They can and should try something different with this incarnation when they decide to introduce him into the MCU.

The thing about Magneto is he is at the heart of the moral conflict the X-men, arguably the most important character to the story they should want to tell. When you are oppressed, is peaceful or violent resistance the right action? I think rather than starting with him as a villain, start with him as a team member, then have him scorn and reject the team while they fight the real villains.
Old 05-16-2024, 03:25 PM   #159
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

The backstory between Charles and Magneto just works so well and is so crucial, that you can't really upset that.

Will they go with 83 year old Patrick Stewart as Prof X? If that's the case, then a holocaust survivor Magneto could work, but I'd rather they just went with younger actors and changed the backstory.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote