Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2024, 07:02 PM   #81
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the intermission show. I always catch it. But I like Bieksa and Botteril and Hrudey. It’s good when Ron does his job to keep things moving along.

But ya….Ron Maclean is done. I hated when they switched to Strombo but now I get it.
The Following User Says Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2024, 07:04 PM   #82
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Re: Strombo

Ratings dipped and boomers complained. Despite Strombo being 40 something and not the young hipster those people thought he was.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 07:07 PM   #83
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
I wish someone would stuff Ron into a wood chipper.
Or a retirement home so he can share his stories with people who might just understand the references.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 07:17 PM   #84
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
I wish someone would stuff Ron into a wood chipper.
The funniest part to me how Ronald has to find any way possible to bring up the Oilers or Oilers alumni. He is like, oh Wainright... Glen Sather's mom lived in Wainright... she had a dress shop.... I gotta find a way to make this relevant somehow.

Even Oilers fans must see how ridiculous this is.
Old 03-24-2024, 07:31 PM   #85
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
The funniest part to me how Ronald has to find any way possible to bring up the Oilers or Oilers alumni. He is like, oh Wainright... Glen Sather's mom lived in Wainright... she had a dress shop.... I gotta find a way to make this relevant somehow.

Even Oilers fans must see how ridiculous this is.
Never underestimate the stupidity of Oiler fans.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 08:35 PM   #86
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
Or a retirement home so he can share his stories with people who might just understand the references.
They'll happily swap haberdashery yarns!
D as in David is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2024, 11:09 PM   #87
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Ron is Ron. He has his homey, folksie, I have an encyclopedia knowledge of every corner of Canada and it's people related to hockey. I am still a fan and he does his role.

What a lot of people are complaining about these days about the panel is also sheer boredom. It's not just vanilla, it's dollar store vanilla. Like him or not, Coaches Corner/Don Cherry had some excitement, some controversy and some opinions. People discussed it, people argued for and against the topics. People tuned into watch, raised the volume, talked about the suits and would watch again online/Youtube etc. Anybody looking up panel talks from 3 years ago on a random game? Never.

I do miss Don Cherry, crazy he isn't in the Hall of Fame as a builder category inductee. Just turned 90 too. Deserves to be in the Hall, he WILL be in the Hall so why not do it when he is still alive ?

For those who HATE Ron though, some recent controversy that didn't make much noise. He showed up at Don's 90th birthday, took a pic, posted it online to show how things had been patched up. According to Cherry's family, that was suppose to be a private photo and not for the public.

https://torontosun.com/news/national...on-cherry-post
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2024, 11:22 PM   #88
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ron is truly an idiot. ^
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TrentCrimmIndependent For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2024, 11:22 PM   #89
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:
Kraken

Cherry will never be put into the Hall
Nor should he
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 11:35 PM   #90
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Cherry will never be put into the Hall
Nor should he

Obviously your not a fan and that's totally fine, but do you really think he won't be nominated to the Hall? He clearly meets the criteria and is a Canadian Hockey icon. He was on HNIC for 35+ years. He did draw eye balls. He was and is still extremely popular. He would do a ton of charity work and is legendary loved by a LOT of people in the game.

Although a stupid comparison, he ranked HIGHER than Wayne Gretzky in the Greatest Canadian Ever contest years ago. I love Don and even I think that's a stretch!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Greatest_Canadian

I just think the Hall will do it after he dies but I am pretty sure he is getting in
Old 03-24-2024, 11:47 PM   #91
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
Obviously your not a fan and that's totally fine, but do you really think he won't be nominated to the Hall? He clearly meets the criteria and is a Canadian Hockey icon. He was on HNIC for 35+ years. He did draw eye balls. He was and is still extremely popular. He would do a ton of charity work and is legendary loved by a LOT of people in the game.

Although a stupid comparison, he ranked HIGHER than Wayne Gretzky in the Greatest Canadian Ever contest years ago. I love Don and even I think that's a stretch!

I just think the Hall will do it after he dies but I am pretty sure he is getting in
Terry Fox should have won
Old 03-25-2024, 12:08 AM   #92
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

The fact that he was ranked so highly is an embarrassment.
Over the years he spewed his hate on a consistent basis.

Heck a week before he was fired he laughed off a serious head injury:

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/...jgz9hmebj0mtnm

Here's a sampling of other things Cherry said over the years.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/don-ch...20they%20fight.

Some more gems:
In 1989, Winnipeg Jets' owner Barry Shenkarow threatened to sue Cherry for referring to the team's assistant coach, Finn Alpo Suhonen, as "some kind of dog food.

In 2006, when former New York Islanders winger Zigmund Palffy scored against the New Jersey Devils, he celebrated by kissing teammate Travis Green on the lips. Cherry's reaction? "I know those guys who wear visors are sweeties, but that's a little too much."

More here:

https://torontosun.com/2012/03/09/to...-cherry-quotes

The fact that he did some charity work is nice, but doing charity work doesn't excuse being a racist, homophobic, hate filled ass.

The Hall will never let him with all that on the record.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2024, 12:12 AM   #93
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

The way Ron talks about people it’s like he assumes all 40 million Canadians know each other. Like he expected Reilly to have visited ol Ms.Sathers dress shop on his way to the outdoor rink growing up. It’s just weird.

I reckon we are at (literally) sub 50% of the things Ron says now make sense.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 12:14 AM   #94
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Let's also keep in mind that Cherry never apologized for his comments (as far as I know).
but yeah also 100% not a fan of Ron either.
Old 03-25-2024, 12:18 AM   #95
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
The fact that he was ranked so highly is an embarrassment.
Over the years he spewed his hate on a consistent basis.

Heck a week before he was fired he laughed off a serious head injury:

https://www.sportingnews.com/ca/nhl/...jgz9hmebj0mtnm

Here's a sampling of other things Cherry said over the years.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/don-ch...20they%20fight.

Some more gems:
In 1989, Winnipeg Jets' owner Barry Shenkarow threatened to sue Cherry for referring to the team's assistant coach, Finn Alpo Suhonen, as "some kind of dog food.

In 2006, when former New York Islanders winger Zigmund Palffy scored against the New Jersey Devils, he celebrated by kissing teammate Travis Green on the lips. Cherry's reaction? "I know those guys who wear visors are sweeties, but that's a little too much."

More here:

https://torontosun.com/2012/03/09/to...-cherry-quotes

The fact that he did some charity work is nice, but doing charity work doesn't excuse being a racist, homophobic, hate filled ass.

The Hall will never let him with all that on the record.

That's Don Cherry 100%. If anything, you might have gone easy on him. A LOT of things were done years ago don't look great but that goes for everybody in HOF, out of it, in business, politics, you, me and everybody.

If we only look at things from today's lens and apply them to players/coaches/management/ownership from years ago, it becomes a disaster and literally NOBODY get's in and almost everybody should be removed from the Hall.

My Flames seats were next to the penalty box. If you heard what players said to fans, refs, players and coaches and more, people would cry. These people are in the Hall and are going to the Hall in the future when their careers are over.
Old 03-25-2024, 05:26 AM   #96
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
He’s undeniably the greatest Canadian ever. A stupid context result doesn’t change that.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 05:33 AM   #97
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
I say this a lot, and its kind of a damning thing about Democracy, but if you ever want a stupid result? Ask people.

I'm sure we can all rattle off countless examples of asking people to vote on something and getting stupid results.

I remember the new store at the University, or when Colorado and Minnesota had people vote on their names and in each case the result was so stupid that someone else just came in and did whatever they wanted.

Voting in players to the All-Star Game....BREXIT!!

And, of course, Don Cherry in this instance.

Its not ideal.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 05:47 AM   #98
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's Don Cherry 100%. If anything, you might have gone easy on him. A LOT of things were done years ago don't look great but that goes for everybody in HOF, out of it, in business, politics, you, me and everybody.

If we only look at things from today's lens and apply them to players/coaches/management/ownership from years ago, it becomes a disaster and literally NOBODY get's in and almost everybody should be removed from the Hall.

My Flames seats were next to the penalty box. If you heard what players said to fans, refs, players and coaches and more, people would cry. These people are in the Hall and are going to the Hall in the future when their careers are over.
I’m in agreement there that you can’t look at these guys with today’s standards. He was allowed to say chicken Swede on tv is what I remember as a kid. lol. Times were different. I have no doubt he was insensitive when he threw out “you people” but that’s in hindsight sort of on the cbc for not phasing out the guy over the years when society was going one way and he was prone to these slip ups. Anyway, I do think he was a huge part in people tuning into the game so fully deserves to be in the builder category. In fact Ron and his hokey shtick does too. I’ve been a Ron fan over the years but he’s cringey when he tries too hard with his Canadiana silliness. But as a pro he’s good. I’m sure you ask any journalism student in sports who they look up to it’s him. With respect to him throwing Cherry under the bus, he was in a tough place. Cherry got enough warnings and was getting up there in age that he himself was a ticking time bomb. Ron covered for him for years. How some Canadians expect him to go down with the ship is silly. Ron did fine at the time. It’s just an unfortunate set of events for a couple icons to have a tarnished legacy.

That clip from last week was so ridiculous though. Not sure what Ron was thinking.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 06:03 AM   #99
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
I’m in agreement there that you can’t look at these guys with today’s standards. He was allowed to say chicken Swede on tv is what I remember as a kid. lol. Times were different. I have no doubt he was insensitive when he threw out “you people” but that’s in hindsight sort of on the cbc for not phasing out the guy over the years when society was going one way and he was prone to these slip ups. Anyway, I do think he was a huge part in people tuning into the game so fully deserves to be in the builder category. In fact Ron and his hokey shtick does too. I’ve been a Ron fan over the years but he’s cringey when he tries too hard with his Canadiana silliness. But as a pro he’s good. I’m sure you ask any journalism student in sports who they look up to it’s him. With respect to him throwing Cherry under the bus, he was in a tough place. Cherry got enough warnings and was getting up there in age that he himself was a ticking time bomb. Ron covered for him for years. How some Canadians expect him to go down with the ship is silly. Ron did fine at the time. It’s just an unfortunate set of events for a couple icons to have a tarnished legacy.

That clip from last week was so ridiculous though. Not sure what Ron was thinking.
Yeah. Want to know why? Because Ron got 5 minutes a week. Thats about as much Ron as anyone can tolerate, and he had to share that 5 minutes with Don.

I get why people pine for the 'Good ol' Days' of Coach's Corner, and frankly for people of my generation it was because Don was going to say something insane, Ron was going to do an awkward collar-tug and try and spin things and we're just going to sit back and laugh at them.

Don's obsessive beef with Europeans and Swedes in particular? I dont think anyone really took that seriously, it was just a sad, angry old man trying to return soup at a deli. You just laugh at him and move on.

But now that Ron is everywhere on HNIC and is the focal point on discussions that, frankly, for a guy who has been involved in hockey as long as he has, he knows jack-all about hockey. There 12-year olds with more knowledge about the actual game than Ron.

Why do we think people here are drawn to Kevin 'The Caveman' Bieksa? Because all BS aside, the guy's been there, recently, and he knows what he's talking about.

Ron's claim to fame is an encyclopedic knowledge of where Glen Sather's mom is at all times and getting clowned by Bettman once a year like one of those inflatable clown punching bags that always just pops back up after you hit it in the face.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 06:08 AM   #100
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not a Cherry fan and am not apologizing for anything he said but the main problem was that Rogers and CBC kept him around too long. He was pretty well anti-anything that wasn't Canadian for decades. He didn't like european players, didn't like american players (he attacked Burke for having too many american players on the Leafs), etc. It was only a matter of time until he did said something that would get him cancelled in today's culture. The transition from CBC to Rogers was the perfect time to move on from him and that timeline of Canadian hockey TV but Rogers didn't care that he was a ticking time bomb. All they cared about was TV ratings and they kept trotting him out weekly despite him being far past his prime and his dated ideologies not in sync with current times. I just think a network like Rogers should share some responsibility here for what happened as I think the were pretty reckless in keeping Cherry on the air.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote