Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2008, 10:25 AM   #21
HelloHockeyFans
n00b!

Exp:

I've heard nothing but good things regarding the Nokia N95.
HelloHockeyFans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 11:02 PM   #22
Berger_4_
First Line Centre

Exp:

HHF...man, that thing looks super badass but is it on Telus? From what I saw, it isn't. Actually it doesn't look like Telus is carrying any Nokia's...which kind of pisses me off. This phone was tough as nails...it got the crap beat out of it at work (it got so full of mud and sand one time I could hardly press the buttons)...it did have some hardware issues though. But I think I'd like to go with either a block phone or a flip this time...would a Blackberry really be worth it to me? Should I even bother to spend my time attempting to get one? Mainly I'm looking at it for it's size, and the fact that they've had a great reputation...I don't know how much web surfing I would do on it.

If you took a burger off the grill and slapped it on your face, I'm pretty sure it would burn you. - kermitology
Berger_4_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 08:49 AM   #23
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berger_4_ View Post
HHF...man, that thing looks super badass but is it on Telus? From what I saw, it isn't. Actually it doesn't look like Telus is carrying any Nokia's...which kind of pisses me off. This phone was tough as nails...it got the crap beat out of it at work (it got so full of mud and sand one time I could hardly press the buttons)...it did have some hardware issues though. But I think I'd like to go with either a block phone or a flip this time...would a Blackberry really be worth it to me? Should I even bother to spend my time attempting to get one? Mainly I'm looking at it for it's size, and the fact that they've had a great reputation...I don't know how much web surfing I would do on it.
A Blackberry is about surfing the web, it's about communication and time/contact management. There's something insanely awesome about standing inline for 15 minutes at Tim Hortons in the morning, and using my Berry to type out a quick brainstorm session and then email it to my office just before it's my turn to get my coffee.

Sounds geeky, but it's the hella shizat. Plus, I got the red one. Chicks dig red.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 01:26 PM   #24
llama64
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
A Blackberry is about surfing the web, it's about communication and time/contact management. There's something insanely awesome about standing inline for 15 minutes at Tim Hortons in the morning, and using my Berry to type out a quick brainstorm session and then email it to my office just before it's my turn to get my coffee.

Sounds geeky, but it's the hella shizat. Plus, I got the red one. Chicks dig red.
Hah... what you just described is the very reason I'm apprehensive about picking a BB up. I don't want to be tethered to email 24/7 and I certainly don't want my employer to think they can access me outside of work hours. There has to be some sort of barrier between work and life...

But the Curve looks like the shizzle. Very tempting...
llama64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2008, 08:13 PM   #25
Flames_Gimp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just got a new phone, wanted a blackberry, ended up getting this instead:
http://promo.telusmobility.com/smart...ductStateNS640

works just as well as a blackberry, was $50 with a 3 year contract.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:45 PM   #26
Option84
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Why would you get a blackberry without a data plan? That would totally defeat the purpose. Anyways, I've had the LG Venus for about a couple of weeks. It's a pretty nice phone, but the glossy screen is a little hard to see in the sun.
Option84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 10:35 AM   #27
arsenal
Director of the HFBI

Exp:

So to continue on with this thread.

I am getting tired with my cell phone. It is my only phone (no landline), so I don't mind spending more to get something very function and feature rich.

Basically what I am looking for is a VOIP enabled GSM phone. So if I am in a hotspot, I am able to surf, make calls, etc through the WiFi network using VOIP, and not the cell network.
Also, touch interface, huge storage capacity out of the box (no buying SD cards) for both music, pictures, video, full feature HTML browser (ie Safari, Firefox).

Does anyone know if a phone like this is currently available? or if anything is going to be coming available within the next 6 months or so?

I think Nokia (or is it samsung?) has a few WiFi/GSM type phones available, just not sure if they have the other things that I am looking for.
Old 05-16-2008, 07:12 PM   #28
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenal View Post

I am getting tired with my cell phone. It is my only phone (no landline), so I don't mind spending more to get something very function and feature rich.

Basically what I am looking for is a VOIP enabled GSM phone. So if I am in a hotspot, I am able to surf, make calls, etc through the WiFi network using VOIP, and not the cell network.
Also, touch interface, huge storage capacity out of the box (no buying SD cards) for both music, pictures, video, full feature HTML browser (ie Safari, Firefox).

Does anyone know if a phone like this is currently available? or if anything is going to be coming available within the next 6 months or so?

I think Nokia (or is it samsung?) has a few WiFi/GSM type phones available, just not sure if they have the other things that I am looking for.
Not totally into the phone craze or anything myself, but after doing the research, basically most of the smartphones IMO are in their budding phase, and a lot of them are slightly ahead of their time with respect to functions, but are limited by relatively slow processor speeds for the functions they want. I was going to get the Curve, but I'm holding on for either the Bold, iPhone v2, Blackberry's followup to the iPhone, or the Xpheria. We shall see, but all those phone's are going to have WiFi. Basically, I think 8 months from now, if you buy your phone today you'll be kicking yourself as the phone processing power is starting to kick into high gear IMO.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 11:09 AM   #29
Jing
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenal View Post

Ok, based on your need for voip, wifi, gsm, and storage out of the box, and a touch interface, it sounds like you are looking for an iPhone. The unfortunate thing about the iphone is the lack of third party applications (well atleast until they release the new sdk developer programs).

If a touch interface is not too important, I would look at the nokia nseries phones. They pretty much do everything. The S60 OS is very customizable and powerful. The n95 8gb would fit your critieria of large storage minus the touch interface, plus it has gps, a very capable camera (5 megapixel), both of which the iphone does not possess. If you dont need 3g (ie not going to pay for data from rogers, and just use wifi), then maybe wait for the n96, which is a 16gb update on the n95.

As for the others, there is the xperia, the htc touch diamond, and nokia and blackberries touch phones that are rumored to be close to release. However the blackberry touch is rumored to be out on CDMA networks first.
Jing is offline   Reply With Quote