Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2017, 12:01 PM   #181
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Knowing we were in on Hamonic yesterday and seeing us come away with him - and still drafting Valimaki - is pretty sweet.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 01:02 PM   #182
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know we are never supposed to draft for current need but with the top 4 we have now, and Andersson, Kylington, Fox, etc already in the pipeline I kind of wish this was a forward pick.

You always pick BPA but our forward prospect pool is lacking top end talent right now.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:06 PM   #183
BigJim
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
I know we are never supposed to draft for current need but with the top 4 we have now, and Andersson, Kylington, Fox, etc already in the pipeline I kind of wish this was a forward pick.

You always pick BPA but our forward prospect pool is lacking top end talent right now.
With Valimaki now in the fold, I'm actually expecting that at least one of our other defence prospects (Andersson, Kylington and/or Fox) will go for either a recouping of picks or packaged for an upgrade at forward/picks.
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:08 PM   #184
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

When you have an excess of wealth at one position, it allows you to deal some of it to address other needs.

Nothing wrong with having great organizational depth at defence.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:13 PM   #185
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
When you have an excess of wealth at one position, it allows you to deal some of it to address other needs.

Nothing wrong with having great organizational depth at defence.
Exactly.

There is a reason why McPhee chose so many D in the expansion draft and received so many quality draft picks for not choosing available D.

Quality D are highly marketable .... in high demand
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 01:36 PM   #186
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

In his summary interview on Fan 960 Todd Button is just gushing on Valimaki - thinks he is Top 4 and could be a Top 2 defenceman. Said "there is no limit to the upside on this guy".
This could be one of the sleeper picks of this draft!
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:37 PM   #187
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

The current D and top four prospects - Valimaki, Andersson, Kylington and Fox, really set up the future well. If Gillies or Parsons step up into true starter status in the next 1-2 years, things look good the blue line back for an extended competitive window.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:02 PM   #188
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

Yes our forward prospect pool is lacking top end talent outside of Jankowski/Shinkaruk and maybe even Poirier if he can rebound.

But given the Flames have Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Backlund (if he re-signs), Jankowski, Ferland most of whom are extremely young and are going to be here for years, where would you fit top end prospects in the next 5 years? We'd likely just have to trade them away in a few years because there's no room for them. And if you're just going to have to trade prospects away at some point I'd rather have d-men because they are so valuable and easy to trade.

IMO a lack of top end forward prospects isn't an issue at all when you have the wealth of young NHL forwards the Flames have. There is limited room for anybody to step in for years.
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flames Draft Watcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 02:47 PM   #189
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
Yes our forward prospect pool is lacking top end talent outside of Jankowski/Shinkaruk and maybe even Poirier if he can rebound.

But given the Flames have Monahan, Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Backlund (if he re-signs), Jankowski, Ferland most of whom are extremely young and are going to be here for years, where would you fit top end prospects in the next 5 years? We'd likely just have to trade them away in a few years because there's no room for them. And if you're just going to have to trade prospects away at some point I'd rather have d-men because they are so valuable and easy to trade.

IMO a lack of top end forward prospects isn't an issue at all when you have the wealth of young NHL forwards the Flames have. There is limited room for anybody to step in for years.
Perfectly stated! I think we have just witnessed the zenith of draft picks lost in building our core in the BT GM era. From here on end we will have the luxury of adding other's picks and holding our own picks going forward as we offload our B+ and A- prospects that we cannot find room for.
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamescuprun2018 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 02:49 PM   #190
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft BPA, address the other needs as time comes. What the Flames need in 3 years is unknown.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:52 PM   #191
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Draft BPA, address the other needs as time comes. What the Flames need in 3 years is unknown.
^

This is exactly right. You can deal with positions of strength later.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 02:54 PM   #192
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Tod Button says Valimaki was in the Flames top 11 for this draft.
Haha, I guess that means 11th.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 03:01 PM   #193
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

i'm stoked they grabbed a blue liner and that it was Valamaki. totally agree with FDW. but also, i don't think Anderson and Kylington are really great prospects.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:02 PM   #194
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

[QUOTE=Flames Draft Watcher;6303478] .......and maybe even Poirier if he can rebound.

IMO 'eat bread' is way ahead of Poirier in the Flames plans at this point.
14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 03:17 PM   #195
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I knew nothing about any of this year's draft class outside of Hischier and Patrick. That being said, the scouting reports and highlights of Valimaki have me very happy. I am surprised that a defenseman of his skill level was available at 16. This is a great 1st round pick by Treliving/Button and co. Couldn't be happier. I already have him in the top 5 prospects for the Flames.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 05:42 PM   #196
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
This is not worth noting.

They probably had 3-4 Jerseys with sewn on name bats for their first pick. If you have the lettering available it's no more work to see it on. Also in the 10 minutes to do the pick you could have enough time to see on the name bar.

I hate that this gets said about the flames as some kind of pro, it's meaningless PR. It's like being shocked that the team that won the Stanley cup has championship hats ready
Yeah, I'm pretty sure this exact thing has been posted for about ten years in a row for our first pick in each draft.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 11:41 PM   #197
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
Tod Button says Valimaki was in the Flames top 11 for this draft.
he also said they had 7 D-men in their top 16;
3 were selected, and Valimaki was 4th
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 11:43 PM   #198
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now I have to learn the keyboard shortcut for umlauts.

Why must you make my life difficult?!?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-25-2017, 08:19 AM   #199
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
This is not worth noting.

They probably had 3-4 Jerseys with sewn on name bats for their first pick. If you have the lettering available it's no more work to see it on. Also in the 10 minutes to do the pick you could have enough time to see on the name bar.

I hate that this gets said about the flames as some kind of pro, it's meaningless PR. It's like being shocked that the team that won the Stanley cup has championship hats ready
The oilers didn't even have a name bar for Puljujarvi last year. I think it does mean something for a player that gets drafted as you can put it right into a shadow box and it doesn't come across as cheap.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 08:25 AM   #200
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you're picking 1st overall, you should have 2-3 jerseys with different names stitched on them in case a team ahead of you takes a guy you want.
Da_Chief is offline   Reply With Quote