Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-2017, 12:39 PM   #1
smithtofuhr86
Backup Goalie

Exp:
Default Looking to buy SUV (tips) suggestions

My family & I were looking to purchase a vehicle new or slightly used like a 2016. We were looking at an SUV bigger than mid size because the boys play hockey but not over the top in size (won't fit in work parking spot).

Any tips or ideas. Our budget was around $35,000. We tested a Jeep Grand Cherokee and liked it, size wise & overall.

Thanks in advance for may help.
smithtofuhr86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:46 PM   #2
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Minivan.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 12:49 PM   #3
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithtofuhr86 View Post
My family & I were looking to purchase a vehicle new or slightly used like a 2016. We were looking at an SUV bigger than mid size because the boys play hockey but not over the top in size (won't fit in work parking spot).

Any tips or ideas. Our budget was around $35,000. We tested a Jeep Grand Cherokee and liked it, size wise & overall.

Thanks in advance for may help.
I sat in a Grand Cherokee. Without a doubt my old 2014 Passat had more passenger room and the trunk would have been pretty close. SUVs suck. All their space is taken up by the raised floor and a bunch of 4x4 crap you'll never use. Minivans are less expensive, have more room, a smaller footprint, are faster, better on gas, have more amenities suited to passengers, can seat more people and I could go on.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2017, 12:50 PM   #4
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

We have a Toyota Highlander - quite like it. Lots of room/seats, comfortable drive, and have never had issues with parking.
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:13 PM   #5
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a 2016 Mazda CX-5 GT. Love it. May be a bit smaller than what you're looking for.

What about the new Rogue? Lots of space in there.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:25 PM   #6
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have a 2016 Ford Explorer (but 2 years old coming up in July). Bought it for similar reasons as you, and had no issues.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:37 PM   #7
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought a used Lexus GX and it's a very capable and comfortable SUV. Highly recommend.

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 01:53 PM   #8
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just bought a Grand Cherokee myself. I don't have kids though so it more than meets my space requirements. I could see it starting to get cramped inside if kids and hockey gear are involved.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:09 PM   #9
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Subaru Outback is what I've got. Love that thing to death. Hate Subaru Calgary though.
Old 06-16-2017, 02:12 PM   #10
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I had a 2014 Highlander for 6 months or so. It was pretty good, but when I found out I could sell it and get a 2014 F150 FX4 for the money, I switched instantly.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:11 PM   #11
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
I had a 2014 Highlander for 6 months or so. It was pretty good, but when I found out I could sell it and get a 2014 F150 FX4 for the money, I switched instantly.
They have a bad rep around here for some reason, but it's pretty hard to beat the practicality of a half ton truck these days. Especially with the rear leg room of the Fords. And the fuel mileage isn't as bad as people think, 3.5L Ecoboost w/ the 10 speed tranny pretty much matches what I was getting in my '16 Hyundai Santa Fe. Long gone are the days of big V8's with 4 speeds getting 10mpgs. Won't find an easier vehicle to throw hockey bags in either OP
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:15 PM   #12
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

We just bought a 2016 Explorer Limited 7 Seater with 18000 km for 37500 and love it. The 2.3L ecoboost isnt breaking any records but it has a ton of room.

EDIT: We were looking for a large SUV (without spending 60,000 on a Yukon) and man some of the '7' seaters are a lot smaller than they look once you get into them.

The dealer tried to get us into a '7' seat sorento instead of the Explorer and no grown person could ride in the back seats for more than an hour I'd say.

Last edited by indes; 06-16-2017 at 03:18 PM.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2017, 03:17 PM   #13
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
They have a bad rep around here for some reason, but it's pretty hard to beat the practicality of a half ton truck these days. Especially with the rear leg room of the Fords. And the fuel mileage isn't as bad as people think, 3.5L Ecoboost w/ the 10 speed tranny pretty much matches what I was getting in my '16 Hyundai Santa Fe. Long gone are the days of big V8's with 4 speeds getting 10mpgs. Won't find an easier vehicle to throw hockey bags in either OP
Mine is a regular commuter 90% of the time. The last 10 months i've averaged 14.2 L/100km
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:21 PM   #14
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Mine is a regular commuter 90% of the time. The last 10 months i've averaged 14.2 L/100km
3.73 axle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by indes View Post
We just bought a 2016 Explorer Limited 7 Seater with 18000 km for 37500 and love it. The 2.3L ecoboost isnt breaking any records but it has a ton of room.

EDIT: We were looking for a large SUV (without spending 60,000 on a Yukon) and man some of the '7' seaters are a lot smaller than they look once you get into them.

The dealer tried to get us into a '7' seat sorento instead of the Explorer and no grown person could ride in the back seats for more than an hour I'd say.
Not to mention that fact that the last row of seats take up 95% of the rear cargo space. Only real option for 7 seats is a minivan imo
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:21 PM   #15
Montana Moe
First Line Centre

Exp:

We have a Durango. Our requirements were that there had to be a third row, and actual room for luggage behind that third row. You'd be surprised at how few models there actually are out there that have anything more than space for a few grocery bags. If you have kids in sports, odds are that you're going to eventually need the extra seats that a 3rd row would provide (providing rides for teammates, etc.).

The V6 Durango gets pretty decent mileage, and most come with AWD.
Montana Moe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:23 PM   #16
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chrysler Pacifica, for anyone wondering what that amazing red van is.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:32 PM   #17
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Not to mention that fact that the last row of seats take up 95% of the rear cargo space. Only real option for 7 seats is a minivan imo
Ya it gets slim for sure with all 7 seats up, still 21 cubic feet though!
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:35 PM   #18
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

You guys and your mini-vans.....
Old 06-16-2017, 03:55 PM   #19
jeffporfirio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Three years with a Sequoia, love it, no problems, but yes, parking can sometimes be difficult.
jeffporfirio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2017, 03:59 PM   #20
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just bought a 2017 Rogue for my wife..

At a 35K budget you could get SL level Trim (Fully Loaded) I think.

Definitely worth a look imo.