Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2017, 08:39 AM   #21
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
I was thinking while reading this, I can't imagine a pre op trans woman would have an issue with this. I get it. Your genitals do make a difference here. And it turns out, it's the transgender woman's friend who has the issue. Anyway, one door closes, maybe another one opens.
Jordan Peterson is a prominent figure in modern transgender rights, he says that of the 30 or so transgender people who've reached out to him (keep in mind their are very, very few trans people out there), all but a couple despise the fact that their problems have been pushed to forefront of the current political landscape and that so many non-trans people are trying to speak for them.

They typically just want to live their lives as normally as possible and don't expect the world to bend over backwards to accommodate them.
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2017, 08:42 AM   #22
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's a prominent modern figure in that everyone accuses him of being transphobic. Not that they're right, but still, you're sort of massaging reality there. The only reason he's even a part of the discussion is his refusal to use certain pronouns.

He's also pretty bat#### insane for unrelated reasons.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:43 AM   #23
Moderation in all things...

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Balls in your court Toewsfan.
Whatever is going on between you two - knock it off.
Put each other on ignore.
That is not a request. If you want to continue to post here it is a requirement for both of you.
No one wants to read this stuff.
Moderator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Moderator For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2017, 08:51 AM   #24
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I was thinking while reading this, I can't imagine a pre op trans woman would have an issue with this. I get it. Your genitals do make a difference here. And it turns out, it's the transgender woman's friend who has the issue. Anyway, one door closes, maybe another one opens.
It takes years to get surgery in Canada, it costs tens of thousands of dollars to go to the States to get it...if they even want it at all.

Regardless of what side of the debate you're on, I have no idea how you could come to the conclusion that no transgender person would have an issue being banned from a facility that is designed for their identified sex.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:06 AM   #25
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderator View Post
Whatever is going on between you two - knock it off.
Put each other on ignore.
That is not a request. If you want to continue to post here it is a requirement for both of you.
No one wants to read this stuff.
I apologize for my part. I admit to overreacting, and i will try not to post in the heat of the moment, going forward.
ToewsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:06 AM   #26
Matata
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
He's a prominent modern figure in that everyone accuses him of being transphobic. Not that they're right, but still, you're sort of massaging reality there. The only reason he's even a part of the discussion is his refusal to use certain pronouns.

He's also pretty bat#### insane for unrelated reasons.
It's not that he refuses to use certain pronouns, he doesn't want it to be legislated and that no one should be commanded to use any pronouns. He's stood his ground on the issue which has forced him to depths of the the trans debate, a landscape he is very well equipped to navigate as a professor of clinical psychology (Harvard and UofT).

He's always come across as reasonable to me, what's the bat#### crazy business about?
Matata is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matata For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2017, 09:15 AM   #27
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
It takes years to get surgery in Canada, it costs tens of thousands of dollars to go to the States to get it...if they even want it at all.

Regardless of what side of the debate you're on, I have no idea how you could come to the conclusion that no transgender person would have an issue being banned from a facility that is designed for their identified sex.
I would assume someone identifying as a women would understand why women walking around naked may be uncomfortable with pre-surgery genitalia around them?

I guess a question would be if pre-op transgenders were required to wear bathing suits would it be acceptable?

(Well of course it wouldn't to the justice warriors!)
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:22 AM   #28
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
I would assume someone identifying as a women would understand why women walking around naked may be uncomfortable with pre-surgery genitalia around them?
Understanding someone may be uncomfortable with it, and having no issue with being banned from an establishment for your gender, are not remotely the same thing being said. Not to mention, not all transgender people are the same and share the same beliefs - just like everyone else. Some might completely agree that pre-op should be banned while others understand it to be a form of discrimination.

OMG!WTF! is projecting his beliefs on a group of people who may not share them. In fact we know many don't, we've seen all over Canada and the United States transgender people speak out for their right to use changing rooms, showers, you name it, for the gender they identified with - not the genitalia they have. This is just another example.

Getting a glimpse at a dick isn't going to kill you, being ostracized and marginalized will. Take a look at the suicide rates for transgender individuals and then tell me none of them have a problem being banned from places like this.

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 06-15-2017 at 09:33 AM.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:47 AM   #29
Zarley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Seems reasonable to me for a nude swimming pool. If you have a schlong, no go. No schlong, all good.
Zarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 09:56 AM   #30
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Serious question here - do pre-op male trans have doctor's notes or something that would allow them to go into these dressing rooms/spas/pools?

What's stopping some guy like the Canada Creep fella from saying 'I'm trans it's cool' and just going in?
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:09 AM   #31
IrishSpring2013
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coys1882 View Post

What's stopping some guy like the Canada Creep fella from saying 'I'm trans it's cool' and just going in?
what has ever stopped a creepy person from doing somethng creepy...??this doesnt magically open a new door of perversion...does it? no dont think so.
IrishSpring2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:09 AM   #32
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
It's not that he refuses to use certain pronouns, he doesn't want it to be legislated and that no one should be commanded to use any pronouns. He's stood his ground on the issue which has forced him to depths of the the trans debate, a landscape he is very well equipped to navigate as a professor of clinical psychology (Harvard and UofT).

He's always come across as reasonable to me, what's the bat#### crazy business about?
They are projecting. Jordan Peterson is far from bat#### crazy. He is actually pretty reasonable and well spoken. He just doesn't think speech should be legislated.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to northcrunk For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2017, 10:10 AM   #33
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Serious question here - do pre-op male trans have doctor's notes or something that would allow them to go into these dressing rooms/spas/pools?

Probably not too much now with the new laws being passed. He would still be breaking the law by taking pictures and posting them to twitter though.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 10:13 AM   #34
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
Blame the immigrants! Wait, I disapprove of these liberal attitudes. Those immigrants are also mighty convenient!
I don't disapprove of public nakedness. And I'm pro-immigration. I simply understand that Northern Europe is the most sexually liberal culture on earth, and that many immigrants to Northern Europe today come from the most sexually conservative cultures on earth, and that this has caused a lot of friction around social norms. Technology is the biggest culprit in the decline of public nudity, but leering or disapproval by newcomers unaccustomed to extremely liberal attitudes around nudity play a role too.

Naked Germany, Straining at the Seams
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2017, 10:51 AM   #35
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

Probably the beat down that occurs when he's oggling girls and touching himself inappropriately?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2017, 12:18 PM   #36
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

At the moment, the "bathroom laws" being discussed in US and Canada simply address that people should be free to use the bathrooms of the gender they identify and present as. However, these laws don't override existing laws against public indecency, voyeurism, and a whole list of other criminal acts. Simply speaking, the law is designed to support transgendered people who are transitioning or living in their new gender, and while there will always be those that take advantage of it, the bathroom laws aren't a shield to give bad people a free pass to ogle people

LChoy
Old 06-15-2017, 12:22 PM   #37
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
So what you're saying is this is pretty much like every other thread, just this one happens to be about issues with someone's male genitals.
Hmmm, Toewsfan must have Hockeyguy15 on ignore or something.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:15 PM   #38
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
...Anyway, one door closes, maybe another one opens.

NSFW!
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2017, 01:53 PM   #39
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

So when you say pre-ops male trans, does that mean that it is a female becoming a man but hasn't had the op yet, or the other way around?

I get confused, are we supposed to call the gender by what they were born as or what they identify as?
Old 06-15-2017, 02:05 PM   #40
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post

I think it's more the clients that pay for a spa for their own sex and don't want to have to stare at a dick and balls. At least post-op you somewhat look like a woman.
DiracSpike is offline   Reply With Quote