Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-26-2017, 06:20 PM   #481
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Finally watched it last night, glad Sarah won, I liked the way she played. Brad's immunity run was very impressive, his fault he didn't take Tai.

Still not sure about the new jury discussion at final tribal. I guess it does spur more discussion, but maybe I'm just jaded as I almost fell off my couch laughing watching Debbie talk about how awesome Brad is. The same Brad she freaked out on while she was still playing. Man, I really hope that's the last we see of her.

I might be in the minority, but I really like Michaela. I get that she comes across as negative to many people, but she's pretty smart and a great physical threat. Still bewildered that was wasn't picked in the challenge where Sarah found the hidden clue on the bench Michaela sat on. I think she might have grown up a bit, and you can tell Probst likes her, so I wouldn't be surprised to see her in a future season, I'd like to see it.

Overall a pretty good season. Good to see some fresh faces for next season though.

Thanks to WhiteTiger for organizing this again, appreciate it!
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2017, 09:41 AM   #482
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The debbie joke is now over.

I won't get much enjoyment from seeing her on the show anymore, I hope that's it for her.

Time to bring in a new nutjob to exploit for ratings.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2017, 01:28 PM   #483
KevanGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope they don't bring back Debbie. But if they do, I'd like to see her on a tribe with Philip. That would be something.
KevanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 04:20 PM   #484
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still say the ultimate survivor season would be to take the 8 most annoying castaways ever - Shambo, Phillip, Debbie, etc - and the other 8 people all stopped smoking, drinking, drugs, etc literally the day before the game started. So they will all be going through the heat, the wet, the cold, and having to put up with these social "stars" all while going through fits of withdrawal.

Must. See. T.V.
Old 05-28-2017, 10:36 PM   #485
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Frustrating thing for me with Survivor is that there are so many cool ways to go about it but every season is the same. I liked last season, but I also enjoy more to watch new people. Enough with the All Stars bull####. Like making these people into celebrities is sort of lame. Couldn't believe how cocky Ozzy got. His speech at the tribal council was absurd. His ponderosa video is basically him jerking it to himself while Hali fawns all over him.

There are so many other cool ways to do Survivor.

People from different cultures or countries, like an Olympics?. How about in cold or mountain conditions or somewhere non tropical in general?

And yeah- they could make it work if they wanted it to. Let's be honest.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2017, 01:07 AM   #486
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
How about in cold or mountain conditions or somewhere non tropical in general?

And yeah- they could make it work if they wanted it to. Let's be honest.
They could, but there's some good reasons why they don't.

Cold is insidious. It creeps in and saps energy and strength. To keep it up, they'd have to feed them regularly. And not just 'reward' challenges. Actual decent meals. And probably quite a few of them. Or they'd have no energy for any sort of challenges, and just sit around slowly freezing to death.

Additionally, they want people to look at (at least most of) the Survivors and find them generally attractive in some way. Hard to do that when the players are swaddled up in 10 layers of clothing.

While heat sucks, few folks are going to be in real trouble with it and you can generally see the problems coming a ways off. Most folks can find ways to cool down. If you are cold and have no energy to expend to heat up, you are boned.

Though, if you want what is basically "Survivor: Cold Sh**", but without the voting someone off....watch any of the "Life in Alaska!" style shows that seem to be popping up everywhere.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:30 AM   #487
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
They could, but there's some good reasons why they don't.

Cold is insidious. It creeps in and saps energy and strength. To keep it up, they'd have to feed them regularly. And not just 'reward' challenges. Actual decent meals. And probably quite a few of them. Or they'd have no energy for any sort of challenges, and just sit around slowly freezing to death.

Additionally, they want people to look at (at least most of) the Survivors and find them generally attractive in some way. Hard to do that when the players are swaddled up in 10 layers of clothing.

While heat sucks, few folks are going to be in real trouble with it and you can generally see the problems coming a ways off. Most folks can find ways to cool down. If you are cold and have no energy to expend to heat up, you are boned.

Though, if you want what is basically "Survivor: Cold Sh**", but without the voting someone off....watch any of the "Life in Alaska!" style shows that seem to be popping up everywhere.
On top of that they'd probably get a lot of contestants that just wouldn't go. Or they would quit. While a million dollars is nice, competing for it on a tropical island with plenty of water and the ability to dive into the ocean to cool off is everything.

At a 30 below tribal council people would be diving over each other to be voted out, if it meant going back to a toasty warm Ponderosa instead of a freezing cold sleeping bag.

Also there are real and immediate health concerns that would create other problems. Frostbite, hypothermia to name a few.

And yeah, add in the segment of viewers that turn in to see the hot chicks in bikini's or studs in briefs, nobody is going to want to watch a bunch of people in 20 layers.

I would also probably add that there's a cost control element as well. If you put the show in Canada or the US the crew that hired to build everything and run the production would probably get paid a whole lot more then the poor bastards in the tropics who are probably happy getting paid in beeds and spiders.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 08:52 AM   #488
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
People from different cultures or countries, like an Olympics?.
Can't happen. Mark Burnett/CBS only have the rights to do the American version of the show. Which means you have to be an American citizen to be on Survivor.

Quote:
How about in cold or mountain conditions or somewhere non tropical in general?
Technically they have... Africa and Australia. As others have mentioned there are health and production issues with using a location less hospitable then is norm.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2017, 04:27 PM   #489
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There are so many other cool ways to do Survivor.

People from different cultures or countries, like an Olympics?. How about in cold or mountain conditions or somewhere non tropical in general?

I don't think anyone is watching Survivor to see people brave the elements and actually "survive". That #### has sailed a long time ago.

It's a social game first and foremost.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2017, 08:36 PM   #490
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll admit that each of the past several seasons i've wanted to see them put more emphasis on the physical portion of the game.

Never happens. I just wish the lazy person around camp gets told they don't get any food or they have to sleep in the woods.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:33 AM   #491
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I'll admit that each of the past several seasons i've wanted to see them put more emphasis on the physical portion of the game.

Never happens. I just wish the lazy person around camp gets told they don't get any food or they have to sleep in the woods.
Its really funny because watching the show first of all you notice a bit of an ease up on physical challenges after the merge.

Some of them are still tough but for the most part they go to the stand here and hold onto something for as long as you can, or run through some simple obstacles and assemble this puzzle or throw a ball through these things.

I wonder how much they had to dial back their challenges after they had people collapsing a few years ago.

Maybe I'm imagining it but there were some really brutal challenges in the first year that were designed to really break people.

I remember they had one where people were diving off of cliffs. There was another where they were stacking people with weighted sandbags until they collapsed ( I remember Micheal the guy who fell into the fire and is now going to prison) absolutely monstering that challenge.

I also remember a bigger emphasis on food arguments, I still remember one tribe running out of food and Jeff taking away all of their luxury items in exchange for rice and beans.

Maybe they eased up on the challenges to put more emphasis on the social games.

But I would love to see a season where they bring back all of the best challenge monsters, like Culpepper and Ozzy and Malcolm, and put them up against an all star team of true game players, and then change the rules slightly to allow in game advantages in challenges so the nerds could compete before the merger.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2017, 12:56 PM   #492
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Well that was an entertaining finale, the way Cirie went home was pretty incredible. It was pretty incredible to watch Jeff gush over her at the end, well deserved.

Sarah played a great game and deserved to win, I think Brad also deserved to win though and I would have been happy with either. Good on Troyzan for recognizing himself as the Goat, albeit to late, and going out with some dignity. It makes me think is it really that hard to see when you are in the middle of it? Does the edit just play to the winners and anything we see from Troyzan is left out? Was it Sierra that admitted Troyzan was involved more than he was given credit for?
Old 05-31-2017, 01:37 PM   #493
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Its really funny because watching the show first of all you notice a bit of an ease up on physical challenges after the merge.

Some of them are still tough but for the most part they go to the stand here and hold onto something for as long as you can, or run through some simple obstacles and assemble this puzzle or throw a ball through these things.

I wonder how much they had to dial back their challenges after they had people collapsing a few years ago.

Maybe I'm imagining it but there were some really brutal challenges in the first year that were designed to really break people.

I remember they had one where people were diving off of cliffs. There was another where they were stacking people with weighted sandbags until they collapsed ( I remember Micheal the guy who fell into the fire and is now going to prison) absolutely monstering that challenge.

I also remember a bigger emphasis on food arguments, I still remember one tribe running out of food and Jeff taking away all of their luxury items in exchange for rice and beans.

Maybe they eased up on the challenges to put more emphasis on the social games.

But I would love to see a season where they bring back all of the best challenge monsters, like Culpepper and Ozzy and Malcolm, and put them up against an all star team of true game players, and then change the rules slightly to allow in game advantages in challenges so the nerds could compete before the merger.
Equally you seem to have forgotten the general area trivia, who can fly a kite the longest, who can make the nicest SOS sign, who can arrange these numbered tiles in order, and chop the rope of the person you don't like challenges. Individual immunity needs to be fairly balanced to not favour a certain type of player over another and we don't really see the real stinkers of challenges anymore. They are probably ordered in a way in which the type of player that should be voted out at that point in the game is more favoured to win at certain points as well.

They definitely emphasize the strategy and tribal counsel portions on the US show though. People are still hungry though but this probably also depends on the location. These last two seasons plus Australian Survivor were all in Fiji and food seemed to be everywhere. Aubry mentioned that she was starving more on day 2 in Game Changers then any point during Kaoh Rong.

For people who want to see more of the camp life, this current season of Survivor New Zealand shows way too much at camp and its a real chore to watch sometimes. They also were given a tonne of stuff. You see them applying sunscreen, playing with cards and writing in journals. They also store their clothes in ziplock bags.

Australian Survivor last year was probably the best in terms of showing the entire Survivor experience. Production quality was on par with the US version but the players emphasized honesty and friendship way too much that the gameplay became predictable.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:26 PM   #494
diskonect
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
For people who want to see more of the camp life, this current season of Survivor New Zealand shows way too much at camp and its a real chore to watch sometimes. They also were given a tonne of stuff. You see them applying sunscreen, playing with cards and writing in journals. They also store their clothes in ziplock bags.

Australian Survivor last year was probably the best in terms of showing the entire Survivor experience. Production quality was on par with the US version but the players emphasized honesty and friendship way too much that the gameplay became predictable.
I completely agree with you about Survivor New Zealand. I can see they were trying to copy the breadth of Survivor Australia, but really failed to do so. Long story short, the people they cast just aren't interesting.

Australian Survivor last year, in my opinion, was probably one of the best Survivor seasons ever. It had a perfect balance of Camp Life, Strategy and Twists. I think Survivor AU last year was way above anything Survivor US has been able to do in the last 5ish seasons.
diskonect is offline   Reply With Quote