Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-08-2016, 09:36 AM   #21
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My bro in law got one right when they were released. We shamefully spent almost an entire weekend playing it. . . . basically the same as when I was 8 years old but I had significantly more scotch this time around.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:43 AM   #22
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't wait to get one... only thing is that some games aren't on there that are flipping amazing (Tetris, River City Ransom, RBI Baseball, etc.). Igottago - is there a way to download more games? Is it able to connect to Wifi?
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:53 AM   #23
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
I can't wait to get one... only thing is that some games aren't on there that are flipping amazing (Tetris, River City Ransom, RBI Baseball, etc.). Igottago - is there a way to download more games? Is it able to connect to Wifi?
Nope. What you see is what you get. It only has space for saving game progress.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:54 AM   #24
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
is there a way to download more games? Is it able to connect to Wifi?
Negative and negative.
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:57 AM   #25
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
No unfortunately its just a self contained little box. Can't download more games or connect to any online stores. You get the 30 built in games and that's it (but mostly great titles), it does have a save feature for progress which is nice. The cords aren't the longest either, so setup may need a few workarounds, I ended up using a long hdmi and micro usb cable I had kicking around and kept it on my coffee table. Like I said its more of a toy than a real console. But for the price its awesome.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 09:57 AM   #26
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I've been saying it since the Wii... just release a box that can only connect to the Virtual Console. $100. Every nerd like me would buy 2.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Russic For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2016, 10:08 AM   #27
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
They won't even produce 100 million of them, let alone sell that many. As much as I like the little thing, it is a one-trick pony that sells for one reason: nostalgia. And there is a finite supply of that, which makes NOA's decision to try and create a Christmas hype bubble just stupid. This is the kind of device that most potential customers will impulse buy. By deliberately not producing enough, Nintendo is going to lose some of that money to PS4 and XBox games.
Well you don't know this. There is a huge market for this. People who buy this aren't buying it for the great game play so I don't think they'll lose money to ps4 and Xbox games. The entire system is less than one game on ps4 and Xbox as well.

You might think it's stupid they didn't produce enough but I at least know 25 people who want this system and are continually looking to find it. Maybe I'm crazy but I think this will be the best selling system ever. Won't make the most money but just overseas this game will sell millions. At that price, it'll sell like pancakes.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:13 AM   #28
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Oh man, I'd pay $200 for one if it had Final Fantasy and River City Ransom.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2016, 10:24 AM   #29
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post

They came out with a river city game on 3ds recently.
chemgear is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2016, 10:27 AM   #30
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Well you don't know this. There is a huge market for this. People who buy this aren't buying it for the great game play so I don't think they'll lose money to ps4 and Xbox games. The entire system is less than one game on ps4 and Xbox as well.

You might think it's stupid they didn't produce enough but I at least know 25 people who want this system and are continually looking to find it. Maybe I'm crazy but I think this will be the best selling system ever. Won't make the most money but just overseas this game will sell millions. At that price, it'll sell like pancakes.
It would sell like pancakes, if NOA produced enough. But since we are arguing in anecdotes, I'll offer you mine: I got ahold of one for a Christmas present. If NOA had not stupidly created an artificial supply limitation, I would have gotten a second one for myself. But the longer the shortage lasts, the less likely I am to buy. After all, I already own most of the games off it I like on either my 3DS or Vita, the the primary purpose of such a purchase would be for it to look nice on a shelf. But as time goes on, that impulse fades.

As far as best selling system ever goes, that title is held by the PS2 at 155 million units. The NES/Famicom, by comparison, reached only 40% of that total, and just over 61 million units. I think it decidedly unlikely that Nintendo will sell over 2 1/2 times as many retro consoles with no ability to add games as it did the original thing.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:28 AM   #31
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Only complaint is when playing Mario the buttons don't react as fast as I'd like when you're holding down B to run fast and then jump. A lot of times it doesn't jump in time.
Many people are discovering through the NES Classic just how many silly options are enabled by default on their HDTV to "enhance" the images, and just how much lag it creates by doing it. Check for a game mode, and then after that, still go into your TV's settings and try to turn off as many options as you can. You might find the lag pretty tolerable after that.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 10:40 AM   #32
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

From Thinkgeek which will mean you'll need to pay for shipping from the US (and maybe duty when it arrives).

http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/jon...9_feature3_nes

Get your shot to buy a Nintendo NES Classic Edition

• Click the Add to Wish List button. You have until Monday, 12/12/16 10am ET to get this on your Wish List for the first round.
  • On Monday 12/12/16, Timmy will begin to randomly select batches of fans who have this item on their Wish List and email them a unique code and link to buy it. This code will be good for 24 hours. If you don't use the code within 24 hours, your chance goes back in the mix to let other eager fans have a shot.
  • Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Until we're out of stock.
Old 12-08-2016, 11:34 AM   #33
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post

As far as best selling system ever goes, that title is held by the PS2 at 155 million units. The NES/Famicom, by comparison, reached only 40% of that total, and just over 61 million units. I think it decidedly unlikely that Nintendo will sell over 2 1/2 times as many retro consoles with no ability to add games as it did the original thing.
This. And also it's important not to forget at the time the PS2 was the most affordable DVD player as well, so it had quite the timing. To imagine a console beating it without "doing" anything other than play games is quite a lofty task.

There's a thing about nostalgia. It's a warm blanket for the soul, and as a result in certain industries (gaming especially) its importance is magnified beyond what is realistic. Backwards compatibility is always listed by gamers as necessary, but in practice very few people actually play older games. I have an NES Classic that I'm giving to my kids for Christmas, but I'm under no illusion that I'll be playing it more than 10 hours over the next 5 years.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:47 AM   #34
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really don't understand Nintendo's end game strategy with the NES Classic. This is definitely an impulse buy type item. They should be stocking EVERYWHERE with these, right near the checkout aisles. They'd be flying off the shelves. Instead, they create this BS demand by purposely choking their own supply of them. They've totally dropped the ball on potentially making mounds of cash off this thing, and for what purpose? To drive up hype and piss off consumers?
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 11:51 AM   #35
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
RCR came with the Mini Famicom.

Here's the full list of included games:
  • Donkey Kong
  • Pac-Man
  • Excitebike
  • Balloon Fight
  • Ice Climber
  • Galaga
  • Yie Ar Kung-Fu
  • Super Mario Bros.
  • The Legend of Zelda
  • Atlantis no Nazo
  • Gradius
  • Makai Village
  • Solomon's Key
  • Metroid
  • Castlevania
  • Adventures of Link
  • Bumping Sumo
  • Super Mario Bros. 3
  • Ninja Gaiden
  • Mega Man 2
  • River City Ransom
  • Double Dragon Ⅱ The Revenge
  • Super Tama####o Luo
  • Final Fantasy Ⅲ
  • Dr. Mario
  • Downtown Nekketsu March Soreyuke
  • Mario Open Golf
  • Super Mario USA (Super Mario Bros. 2 in the US)
  • Kirby's Adventure
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2016, 12:01 PM   #36
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nostalgia is definitely a driving factor, but I'd put money on a demographic of gamers that are frustrated of 'pay to play' games and constant downloads and updates.

This is a simple console with a proven track record, and simplifies the gaming process. Since millennials are all about the new wave of 'hipsterism', the Nintendo Classic targets three demographics:
  • Gen X and Y'ers with a case of nostalgia.
    Frustrated gamers that want a simpler gaming model.
    Millennials who will find it 'hip' to own one.

... enough to make a f##kton of money, in other words.
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:07 PM   #37
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Backwards compatibility is always listed by gamers as necessary, but in practice very few people actually play older games.
Yeah, I've seen BC described as something that everybody wants but nobody really uses. Sure there will be the rare outlier but it's pretty irrelevant for the vast majority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yen Man View Post
Instead, they create this BS demand by purposely choking their own supply of them. They've totally dropped the ball on potentially making mounds of cash off this thing, and for what purpose? To drive up hype and piss off consumers?
I generally agree but maybe I'd go out on a limb and suggest that they're a very conservative company when it comes to physical (hardware) goods. They have the same trajectory for things like the Wii, amiibos, the NES Classic, heck even the recent 3DS black Friday version. They REALLY don't want or have the capacity to hold or be stuck with hardware idling in warehouses if they wrongly estimate the demand for these items. They must have some internal phobia about pulling a Blackberry or Microsoft having to take a charge on unsold phones or tablets.

I could be totally wrong though.

Last edited by chemgear; 12-08-2016 at 12:10 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 12:12 PM   #38
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Nintendo would do well to focus on content-rich 8-bit and 16-bit games, with heavy mod community support, online store access and huge game catalogs. Cater to the audience that made them filthy rich 30 years ago: Generation X and Y that play console and controller games while pulling at the nostalgia heart strings.

Boom, Nintendo monopolizes on a market that isn't Xbox of Sony.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:12 PM   #39
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I'm surprised people are paying so much for them second hand (upsellers). I'm just going to keep running my emulator on my pc with a bluetooth nes/snes controller until after Christmas.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2016, 12:34 PM   #40
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
I'm surprised people are paying so much for them second hand (upsellers). I'm just going to keep running my emulator on my pc with a bluetooth nes/snes controller until after Christmas.
You can buy a Nintendo with a flashcart for less than they are paying, hell you can come close to an HDMI modded NES with flashcart for that price.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote