Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-27-2016, 12:49 PM   #61
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

can you have a hidden junction box that is accessible through the attic? Or is all attic space considered hidden? Because I may have just discovered one of those...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 02:42 PM   #62
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

As long as it is accesible you are ok. You can't drywall over it and it can't be at the base of your rafters 2" above the wall sort of thing.

If you get the Knight book Simplified Electrical code there's some good illustrations that show what you can and can't do.

Last edited by speede5; 10-27-2016 at 02:45 PM.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2016, 03:44 PM   #63
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will have to move it a bit, as it is sandwiched between a board and the ceiling drywall, so it isn't accessible at all in it's current spot. Good to know I can have a junction box there though. Look forward to diffing around in attic insulation. My favorite! I keep meaning to pick up that book...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 07:27 AM   #64
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I buy every new edition, they are great for homeowners.
Old 10-28-2016, 07:34 AM   #65
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are the Knight books still being published? I know the CSA had some beef a few years back and it was in court.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 08:25 AM   #66
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

I have the 2010, there should be a new one shortly. They are still available at the stores. Not sure what kind of beef they could have.

Edit: Wow, not surprising but this is nasty. Knight does a great service for regular people. Hope he makes it through this. There is no reason a homeowner should not be able to do relativelty minor work on their homes and access to an easy layman guide keeps more houses safe. Most electricians don't even want to do the piece work homeowners require and without simple guides there is way more likelyhood of shoddy workmanship. jmo.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...ades-publisher

Last edited by speede5; 10-28-2016 at 08:34 AM.
Old 10-28-2016, 08:39 AM   #67
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Are the Knight books still being published? I know the CSA had some beef a few years back and it was in court.
https://psknight.com/residential
Old 10-28-2016, 08:52 AM   #68
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Thanks. Amazon was failing me for once. Definitely seems like it's worth the 30 bucks and should be an interesting read.

Quote:
Old 10-28-2016, 09:00 AM   #69
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

That article is three years old. I wonder where things are at? That's too bad, I've used and really like that book. I only wish there were similar books for plumbing and building codes.

Saw this on their website:
Quote:
The Federal Court has ruled that electrical laws in Canada are privately owned.
I've always wondered how this makes sense. IMO building and safety codes should be 100% available in the public domain. The Canadian Building Code is $350 and constantly changes. An annual subscription is $140/year. It's an NRC document. This should absolutely be available to the public free of charge. The easiest was to make sure things are done "to code" is to make the code available and easy to understand.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2016, 09:45 AM   #70
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevman View Post
That article is three years old. I wonder where things are at? That's too bad, I've used and really like that book. I only wish there were similar books for plumbing and building codes.
http://www.restorecsa.com/

Looks like they are still fighting.
Old 06-16-2017, 10:36 AM   #71
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Final Necro:

Just wanted to thank everyone who offered me advice in this thread (particularly speede5 and 2stonedbirds). I know I'm an ####### but I appreciate people reaching out to help me and provide resources and convincing me to keep it code-kosher (and permit-kosher) throughout.

I'm happy to say a few weeks ago I finally finished all of the trims/flooring/painting/etc. and it's all done (except the ceiling, I decided I wanted to add a few more pot lights and left it unfinished for the time being). Pretty damn happy with the results. Ended up taking longer (8-10 months in total, working some nights/weekends and taking 2 months off over Dec/Jan to avoid burnout) than expected, but I decided to take down a halfwall, and remove all the carpet/flooring for the entire main floor, bring the carpeted area up to the level of the former linoleum, and install new floors through out the main floor.

Thank god it's done. Now I'm looking for more projects to do because I have all these damn tools.

Spoiler!

Thanks again guys, you da best.

Deleted a closet/extended the far coutners, rebuilt the island (turned, built surround from scratch), rebuilt all cabinetry/countertops, installed the plumbing, electrical, hvac, caps, trims, moulding, etc. Lots of work, but I didn't pay a red cent in the end to a contractor (other than the counter guys) and managed to maintain full/near full usage of the kitchen the entire time by planning out the different stages. Feels good man.

Shoutout to Crown Granite & Marble for excellent pricing, top notch service and delivery times, and great staff. Highly recommended.

Quote:

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 06-16-2017 at 11:03 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 10:26 PM   #72
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Nice!
Old 06-18-2017, 12:24 AM   #73
2Stonedbirds
First Line Centre

Exp:

You may be a #######, but #######s like myself still wanna see you have nice things.

It looks great, glad it worked out for you. The lighting inside your happy fun time cabinet is a nice touch.
2Stonedbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 2Stonedbirds For This Useful Post:
Old 06-18-2017, 09:07 AM   #74
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Very very very nice! I love it. Nice work.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post: