Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-22-2015, 08:55 PM   #21
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Can she respond to the detailed report in post 6 that concludes there is no proven risk in residential scenarios (2010)?

And this?

http://forensic-applications.com/radon/reviews.html

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heal...n#Health_risks
The last source you have there doesn't seem to be supporting no proven risk, rather a high level of uncertainty in the dose-response at low levels (which is quite common). From an admittedly quick read the conclusion seems to be that above 1000 Bq/m3 there is sufficient evidence of a health risk, but there is a lot of debate about whether the linear non-threshold dose response model really holds at lower doses. I deal more with chemical carcinogens than radiological but I see that same debate over and over. At the end of the day when protecting public health when there's uncertainty we tend to err on the conservative side and assume the linear non-threshold dose response model holds until there's clear evidence that it doesn't.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2015, 07:41 AM   #22
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Let's talk about RADON

So I ended up putting in a Radon reduction system. I bought this monitor online:

http://www.amazon.ca/Corentium-224-D.../dp/B00H30TLPA

And tested for about a week and was getting results in the high 400's. After having the system installed I'm getting readings in the low 20's. Obviously that's a great reduction. For us, we decided that even if the risks to Radon were not conclusive, there didn't seem to be any downside (other than cost obviously) to removing the radon so out it went.

Last edited by Ace; 11-24-2015 at 09:52 AM.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ace For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2015, 08:07 AM   #23
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Michael: Pfffffttt.
Toby: Come on, Michael. You're interrupting.
Michael: You're kidding me? God! You say radon is silent, but deadly, and then you expect me not to make farting noises with my mouth? What is this?
Toby: Please sit down.
Michael: You know what? We're not gonna die of radon, we're gonna die of boredom.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Otto-matic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2015, 08:14 AM   #24
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

My basement is very porous and I spend the majority of my day in it. Not overly worried but did use a kit to test and I'm clear
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:20 AM   #25
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
So I ended up putting in a Radon reduction system. I bought this monitor online:

http://www.amazon.ca/Corentium-224-D.../dp/B00H30TLPA

And tested for about a week and was getting results in the high 400's. After having the system installed I'm getting readings in the low 20's. Obviously that's a great reduction. For us, we decided that even if the risks to Radon we're not conclusive, there didn't seem to be any downside (other than cost obviously) to removing the radon so out it went.
What part of the country are you in that you got that high if readings?
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 09:44 AM   #26
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Calgary
Old 11-24-2015, 10:20 AM   #27
LChoy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
http://www.forensic-applications.com/radon/radon.html

Industrial Hygienists, in general, are engaged in protection of humans against the harmful effects of ionizing (and nonionizing radiation). The specialized field of managing ionizing radiation is known as “Health Physics” and the job of the Health Physicist is to manage the beneficial use of ionizing radiation while protecting workers and the public from potential hazards. Although political organizations (such as the US EPA) publish a variety of statements of elevated risk, to date (2010) there are no scientific studies that have ever actually shown that radon gas, as typically seen in houses, increases the risk of cancer. To be clear: There are NO valid studies that have conclusively demonstrated that typical residential exposures to radon increase the risk of cancer at all. In fact, all of the valid studies performed thus far show one of two things: 1) No risk and/or 2) a decreasing risk of cancer. This view is reflected in a position statement issued by the Health Physics Society, the premier Health Physics organization in the US. According to the position statement issued by the Health Physics Society1a, for doses below 100 mSv (10 rem)

“…risks of health effects are either too small to be observed or are non-existent."

http://www.cato.org/publications/com...at-false-alarm

Sorry the delay, I was lazy to type out what she said in response until now.

Radon is difficult to conclusively link when the concentration leads to harm because it's gradual and cumulative. The greatest risk comes from long term exposure at high levels, which is why Health Canada recommends testing for it in areas where someone spends a lot of time in. If levels are high, then it's recommended to take action to vent out the gas.
Also, there wasn't a date for your CATO article, but it did reference a 1996 Finnish Study. However, Canada reviewed their policy in 2006 in response to much later evidence that supported a link between Radon and lung cancer, a position that aligns with the WHO and other health organizations.
Hope that answers your question

LChoy
Old 11-24-2015, 10:45 AM   #28
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh wow, mine was only 110 in Highwood. Amazing the variation. This map, though lacking in samples, doesn't show anything over 200 in Calgary.
http://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/radon-in-canada/
Old 11-24-2015, 10:53 AM   #29
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

So if I never ever go in my basement, no problems mon?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:58 AM   #30
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
So if I never ever go in my basement, no problems mon?
I actually took my reading (high 400's) from the upper floor. The Radon guys say they expect about a 15% increase as you go down the house. So if you are 100 on the upper floor you'd be roughly 115 on the main and 132 in the basement. I also read that the lowest floor isn't necessarily the highest point of concentration.

Last edited by Ace; 11-24-2015 at 11:12 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ace For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2015, 12:45 PM   #31
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace View Post
Calgary
Which part of Calgary? Hopefully far away from my home.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 03:18 PM   #32
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Which part of Calgary? Hopefully far away from my home.
The Symon's Valley area...however Radon could be high anywhere in the city and next door houses can have completely different readings. There really are a lot of variances, which is why Health Canada says all homes should be tested.

BTW anybody thinking of testing I really recommend the Correntium Meter. You can do the cheap send it tests, but not only is that painfully slow, you also can't test for variances. With the meter you can check over and over again, and lend to friends, and test for different seasons, weather patterns, test after you've sealed cracks in your house, etc. Really quite useful. Split it amongst a couple friends and it's way better than the send in tests.

Last edited by Ace; 11-24-2015 at 03:22 PM.
Old 11-25-2015, 08:09 AM   #33
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Radon level will increase significantly if your foundation has cracks.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 08:58 PM   #34
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
Radon level will increase significantly if your foundation has cracks.
If true and health canada acknowleges the connection between radon and lung cancer then why isn't there more of a program for public awareness to seal basement cracks as part of a program of some sort? Wouldn't it save costs to healthcare and more importantly lives?
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 09:40 PM   #35
Ace
First Line Centre

Exp:

If you have high levels of Radon you are very unlikely to solve the issue with sealing...however I understand that sealing is important to get the best results from a sub-slab depressurizing system. Radon is so small it can actually come through concrete.
Old 03-29-2016, 06:15 PM   #36
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bump, is there a service in Calgary anyone can recommend? Or did you all use the Rona test kits or whatever?
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:43 PM   #37
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure you need to use a "service". The mail order ones work fine. Or you can get the monitor from the Amazon link above but it costs quite a bit more.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2016, 07:17 PM   #38
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I bought the amazon one. Ran it for a month and got an average reading of 40. I am in Sunnyside. Lent to a neighbor and waiting to hear what he gets.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:01 PM   #39
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I bought one from Home Depot. It was around $20 and worked fine. Got a reading of around 100 which seems common
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 08:23 PM   #40
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

I bought the Corentium monitor, and I'm hovering around 200 in my basement after 2 months. I live very close to downtown Calgary.

I've noticed that it creeps to the 250-300 range if I don't do anything, but turning on the fan (basement washroom) most nights keeps it in the 150-200 range.

LChoy, could you ask your wife if periodically turning on the washroom fan is sufficient? I'm thinking about hooking it up to a clock so it turns on every night from 2:00 am - 5:00 am.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote