Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 02:47 PM   #601
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
As I pointed out elsewhere, Nashville lost to a team with a patchwork defense but a collection of fast, skilled forwards.

I don't mind this trade in a bubble that just looks at price for player, or just wants to drool over our D line-up (which is undoubtedly drool-worthy now), but outside of that bubble, I see Treliving spending some very valuable assets to add a 4th top-tier defenseman while the team continues to have zero top 6 right wingers in the league or even in the cupboard.

Given the depth of D prospects Calgary has, I'm not sold that this deal is wise overall. Hopefully I'll feel different before camp opens,when Tre has finished his off-season work
Not particularly strong comparisons there as you completely disregarded the goaltending difference in half the games as well as the need to deal with the 2 of the top 5 players for almost 2/3rds of a game.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:48 PM   #602
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames Draft Watcher View Post
LOL @ you thinking you're the best poster on here. Couldn't be further from the truth. Probably the funniest thing I've read on here in the past few days.
You're way too serious on here all the time, he was clearly joking. Maybe spend some time in the Off Topic forum to get a little better sense of the community.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:48 PM   #603
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
I think your ignoring my point, which was: I really like the deal when just looking at the defense, but there's a much more gaping hope at forward and now significantly fewer assets to address it.
Nope, I'm pointing out Management identified and prioritized the hole at defense that you weren't attributing enough significance to.

Everyone acknowledges forward needs and upgrade but one thing at a time, and it's June 24th.
Old 06-24-2017, 02:51 PM   #604
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
Nope, I'm pointing out Management identified and prioritized the hole at defense that you weren't attributing enough significance to.

Everyone acknowledges forward needs and upgrade but one thing at a time, and it's June 24th.
Yup.

Treliving identified the pressing needs in this order:

1. Goaltending -- Smith
2. #4 D-Man -- Hamonic
3. Top 6 RW -- ??
4. Various Contractual things within the organization -- Backs already underway, Stone too.

Seems to be following his roadmap exactly.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lanny'sDaMan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 02:52 PM   #605
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm good with the trade and the draft pick and all that and am generally pretty optimistic about the Flames, but I just don't get all this "Treliving thinks we can win now and is going for it" talk.

Sure they've made a couple of changes, but it was just three months ago that they were a wildcard team that got absolutely stomped in the playoffs. "Winning now" seems wildly optimistic. Edmonton-style optimism, really.

Goaltending that is shored up to some extent and a 2nd pairing Dman don't turn you from a wildcard team swept in the first round into a legit challenger.

Old 06-24-2017, 03:02 PM   #606
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post
I'm good with the trade and the draft pick and all that and am generally pretty optimistic about the Flames, but I just don't get all this "Treliving thinks we can win now and is going for it" talk.

Sure they've made a couple of changes, but it was just three months ago that they were a wildcard team that got absolutely stomped in the playoffs. "Winning now" seems wildly optimistic. Edmonton-style optimism, really.

Goaltending that is shored up to some extent and a 2nd pairing Dman don't turn you from a wildcard team swept in the first round into a legit challenger.
If that new goaltending is strong form the start til the end and that #4 D-man is a year of injury/family issues away from being a regular top pairing D-man in New York, AND you're a young team where almost every star player is getting better rather than worse than absolutely this could be enough to change us from a wildcard team to a legit top playoff team.

That is not Oiler level delusion at all. There are legitimate indications of strong upward trajectory with this team, so when you address two critical needs, of course there's a good chance they take another big step forward.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:03 PM   #607
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure what you mean. Are you suggesting because he's had an injury that his health is a worry? If so then pretty much every NHLer is a worry. Worrying about his health is paranoia, nothing we can do to control it. It's a contact game, people get injured. Just because someone has been injured in the past does not mean they will be injured many times again in the future.
Reoccurring injuries are always things to be worried about, especially something like the knee which would directly impact his performance on the ice. If he can stay healthy than that's great, but if he's only playing 65 games a year and a chunk of those while hurt, well then that sucks.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:07 PM   #608
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Oilers getting jobbed:

Why can't I see this video??? Anyone??? All I see is a black rectangle that I can do nothing with.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:08 PM   #609
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
LOL @ you thinking you're the best poster on here. Couldn't be further from the truth. Probably the funniest thing I've read on here in the past few days.
Glad I could make you smile.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 03:08 PM   #610
saXon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny'sDaMan View Post
Yup.

1. Goaltending -- Smith
2. #4 D-Man -- Hamonic
3. Top 6 RW -- ??
4. Various Contractual things within the organization -- Backs already underway, Stone too.

It's definitely nice to have a GM that operates with a plan (and sticks to his guns) instead of swaying like a tree in the wind with any sort of deal offered.

Imagine the return if he was in charge of the Regher, Iggy, and Bouwmeester trades.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to saXon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 03:22 PM   #611
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames now have the last two NHL Foundation Player Award winners.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:22 PM   #612
Timbo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny'sDaMan View Post
Yup.

1. Goaltending -- Smith
2. #4 D-Man -- Hamonic
3. Top 6 RW -- ??

Treliving is very pragmatic. Although some might think he is gambling with our future picks I believe he is looking and planning for now and 4-5 years ahead,
Old 06-24-2017, 03:23 PM   #613
Philly06Cup
Closet Jedi

Exp:

I'm surprised how many people want to also add Stone. The biggest need now is offensive depth.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:26 PM   #614
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly06Cup View Post
I'm surprised how many people want to also add Stone. The biggest need now is offensive depth.
Why? We still need another d-man under contact (which leaves a spot available for a young player making a step) and with Wideman and Engelland's salary gone it's not that outlandish if he wants to play here and will sign for a reasonable clip.

Having Stone on the bottom pairing would give tremendous depth.

That has nothing to do with the fact we also need to add a forward. There is time and space to address both needs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 03:32 PM   #615
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Late to the party.

What a fantastic trade. The asking price was pretty high, but I feel the Flames did very well here. Hamonic is exactly what the Flames defense needed: a legitimate top 4 defenseman with a right-handed shot and bit of an edge to his game. He's 26 and on a decent contract, you can't really ask for more here. He should be a great fit and IMO the Flames now have one of the best top 4s in the league. Giordano/Hamilton - Brodie/Hamonic is scary good.

Since the Isles originally asked for two 1sts, it was pretty clear that the 2018 1st would be a part of this deal ... what makes it a win for me is the fact that Treliving again managed to get a top 4 defenseman without having to give up a top prospect and/or young impact player. Yes, the Flames are bleeding draft picks right now, but I honestly believe that they are in a situation to do that for a year or two in order to make a legitimate push. They have a young core and they have also drafted pretty well lately, so I think the time to do a trade like this is now.

Couldn't be much happier right now. In a perfect world they also re-sign Stone now.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 03:33 PM   #616
burnitdown
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
Why? We still need another d-man under contact (which leaves a spot available for a young player making a step) and with Wideman and Engelland's salary gone it's not that outlandish if he wants to play here and will sign for a reasonable clip.

Having Stone on the bottom pairing would give tremendous depth.

That has nothing to do with the fact we also need to add a forward. There is time and space to address both needs.
I think the value in having a very strong group of 4D is they can all handle a modest amount of minutes, allowing us to break in some weaker/younger D on a 3rd pairing that is heavily sheltered. I'd rather take the $3.5M for Stone's 15-18 soft mins per night and put it towards a scoring winger. There's a lot of pressure on Bennett, Jankowski and Lazar to pan out as we don't have high-end draft picks in the coming years to help bolster our offense so they've just become much more important.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:34 PM   #617
chubeyr1
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RougeUnderoos View Post

Stomped in the playoffs? Yes we got swept, but we played really well. Get some decent goaltending and this was a series we could of won. This was a sweep that did not feel like a sweep.

I know my homer glasses are on, but the goaltending we got was god awful. .880 save percentage? You will never win with goaltending like that!

Sure we hung our goalie out to dry several times, yet Anaheim did too. What was concerning was the feeble shots fired at our net from bad angles that went in. We deserved better!

As for the regular season? A number four dman was not on the roster till we got Stone. Once we did the team got a lot better. Hamonic is an upgrade on Stone by a lot. I still hope we sign Stone.

We have a really good team moving forward. Playoff team this year forsure, cup contender in two years is very possible.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:41 PM   #618
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnitdown View Post
I think the value in having a very strong group of 4D is they can all handle a modest amount of minutes, allowing us to break in some weaker/younger D on a 3rd pairing that is heavily sheltered. I'd rather take the $3.5M for Stone's 15-18 soft mins per night and put it towards a scoring winger. There's a lot of pressure on Bennett, Jankowski and Lazar to pan out as we don't have high-end draft picks in the coming years to help bolster our offense so they've just become much more important.
As I said, I think there's time / money to address both needs.

Treliving said this morning they're still talking to Stone and Stone's agent said the same thing. It appears the Flames would still very much like to have him as part of the fold.

I don't see two youngsters on the bottom pairing, and don't trust Bartowski with full time play. An experienced bottom pairing D-man adds depth in both that it has a poised player on every pairing and gives us the ability to have someone step up if there's an injury.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:44 PM   #619
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Obviously happy from a pure hockey standpoint with getting Hamonic. Like many have said he ticks pretty much all the boxes of a very high end 3-4 defenceman.

But in reading more about him I'm genuinely excited that we are getting a very high quality individual. This team really has a nice blend of good humans and we without doubt just landed another.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 2ArmBands For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 03:48 PM   #620
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like with Stone the Flames probably have an offer in and it will come down to Stone seeing what the market is for him.

By all accounts his family wants to stay here - so if the market ends up being soft then I could see there being a fit.
Closed Thread