Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-24-2017, 01:09 PM   #61
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
I'm finding it hard to believe how teams could see someone at 6'4 do that and let him slide to 109... I know everyone thinks they got steals on draft day but this guy seems to have some serious skill in a massive frame
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beninho For This Useful Post:
Old 06-24-2017, 01:21 PM   #62
Franchise Player

Exp:

Love this pick, huge potential if he can put it all together, and in the 4th round that's not a risk to take.
Old 06-24-2017, 01:31 PM   #63
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

This pick has Flames 4th round special written all over it
Old 06-24-2017, 02:45 PM   #64
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like this pick. The problems mentioned in the scouting reports are typical of any player outside the first 2 rounds. I love the size and skill mixture. Hopefully he's given a development plan that fixes his problem areas. It's largely up to him to fix any work ethic issues.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 03:32 PM   #65
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked his comment that he doesn't think about dropping to the fourth round, instead he sees it as being Calgary's second pick in the draft.
Old 06-24-2017, 06:05 PM   #66
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems to me like a home-run pick.

Treliving has stated he wants size, but only if it comes packaged with some speed (skating isn't bad on this kid, but needs some work) and skill (seems to have a lot of skill here).

When a kid like this puts it together, he becomes something special. Anybody here see him play live regularly? Would love to hear a few takes. I am also blown away as to how a guy this big and skilled is available in the 4th.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 09:38 AM   #67
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Brock Otten's feature on the Flames' OHL prospects

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2017...ry-flames.html

Quote:
An excellent 4th round pick by the Flames this year. He certainly has his warts and things to work on as a prospect. But he's also a kid with a lot of potential. Big forward with skill and decent skating ability. At times, he looks like he can dominate the possession game and could develop as a really tough guy to stop from getting to the net. Certainly has the puck skill to drive the play. But there's a wavering intensity level, especially away from the puck. Want to see a big guy want to go after loose pucks, but he's stagnant in the offensive end too much. I think the concerns about his hockey sense and vision are legitimate too. Want to see him get himself in better scoring position because he has a big wrist shot and a great release. Internationally, I thought he looked quite good this year, better than he did in the OHL. Obviously, it's an adjustment to playing on a smaller ice surface in a different country. He'll return to Sarnia next year and will be a big part of their offense. Likely their 2nd line center again and will see lots of powerplay time. I think he's likely a point per game player and a 30 goal scorer.
no surprise he gushes over Parsons
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 07:55 PM   #68
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Adam Ruzicka off to an extremely hot start in the OHL.

6gp 6g 4a 10pts +6 29SOG 58.2%Faceoffs

Ruzicka is currently tied for 2nd in the OHL for points and tied for 3rd in OHL goals at the time this was originally posted

Let us hope he can keep this up.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:27 PM   #69
nightfx
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm liking that shot total, really need more shooters on the team.
nightfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:39 PM   #70
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Link

1g+1a 5sog +2 for Ruzicka in a 8-1 win over the Steelheads. 4 straight games where Ruzicka has had 2 points or more.

At time of posting Ruzicka tied for 1st in the OHL for points, 4th in OHL goals, 1st in power play goals with 5, tied for 4th in +/-

8gp 8g 6a 14pts +9 37sog 60.8 FO%

Ruzicka is such an intriguing prospect. Has size. Can skate. Has skill. Has hands. Looks dominate in faceoffs. Willing to shoot the puck.

If he has found consistency, in the words of Peter Loubardias: " one word, look out"

Quickly turning into my favourite Flames prospect

Last edited by sureLoss; 10-13-2017 at 07:44 PM.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2017, 07:48 PM   #71
Flames Draft Watcher
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Flames said this kid was on their ranked list and that list is usually exhausted by the 3rd round according to Button. So yeah he fell a little bit to us compared to where our scouting staff viewed him
Flames Draft Watcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:53 PM   #72
Jeff Lebowski
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I love how Button said they looked for high ceiling skill guys who may have had issues getting their skill into games. If they can figure out what was holding them back then gems can be found.

Ruzicka looking good!
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:54 PM   #73
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

Link

1g+1a 5sog +2 for Ruzicka in a 8-1 win over the Steelheads. 4 straight games where Ruzicka has had 2 points or more.

At time of posting Ruzicka tied for 1st in the OHL for points, 4th in OHL goals, 1st in power play goals with 5, tied for 4th in +/-

8gp 8g 6a 14pts +9 37sog 60.8 FO%

Ruzicka is such an intriguing prospect. Has size. Can skate. Has skill. Has hands. Looks dominate in faceoffs. Willing to shoot the puck.

If he has found consistency, in the words of Peter Loubardias: " one word, look out"

Quickly turning into my favourite Flames prospect
That's some sweet mitts!
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 11:29 PM   #74
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would be nice if this kid could hang around and learn from Jagr, but don't think that's going to happen in Calgary.
Old 10-31-2017, 09:58 AM   #75
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

5th in OHL scoring with 24 points in 15 games. Comments out of the OHL ranks about the "Flames stealing a player" in the fourth round

22nd in our prospect poll this season.

Over under on top ten next summer?
Bingo is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2017, 10:02 AM   #76
Goodlad
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
5th in OHL scoring with 24 points in 15 games. Comments out of the OHL ranks about the "Flames stealing a player" in the fourth round

We were about due for another 4th round steal
Goodlad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Goodlad For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2017, 10:04 AM   #77
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Right now he is dominating with that big frame in the OHL. I wonder if he can keep that up at the AHL/NHL level. Hope he can!
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 10:20 AM   #78
Funkhouser
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Still early, but seeing as we have no 1st rounder next year, I suspect the following players will be top 10 next summer (assuming Janko graduates):

Valimaki
Fox
Anderson
Kylington
Mangiapane
Dube
Phillips
Parsons
Gilles
Ruzicka
Funkhouser is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Funkhouser For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2017, 10:25 AM   #79
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

If you go back in those prospect thread, I was pushing for him ahead of guys like Wotherspoon, Hathaway, etc. etc. etc. I think I started around 14 or 15. Not trying to get congrats now, but I saw back then that he had some major tools to work with and I really liked the pick. Here's hoping he can continue to add to our center depth!
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-31-2017, 10:27 AM   #80
ClubFlames
Posted the 2 millionth post!

Exp:

I guess he is heading towards more of a homerun and last year was just an adjustment period to playing hockey in North America for the first time.

This is what ISS had to say before the draft.

Quote:
INTERNATIONAL SCOUTING SERVICE - RANKED 48th OVERALL

Adam was a member of Slovakia's National Junior team and the Under 18 team. He played in the CHL Top Prospects game. Adam is a very skilled forward. Along with great size, he has very good hands, a very good shot. He knows the game with very good hockey sense. A shooter more than a passer. His skating is deceptive because of his size but he can open it up when he wants to. He has the ability to take his game to an elite level. He has a physical presence but not a physical player. His competitiveness, defensive commitment, and effort are often questionable. Has high end potential but a gamble by the NHL team drafting him. Could be a home run or a bust.

ClubFlames is offline   Reply With Quote