Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-27-2017, 10:14 AM   #2861
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

As many have already mentioned, the Flames are fortunate to have another year to see exactly what Backlund is.

Personally, I wouldn't be surprised to see his line end up with a little less overall responsibility, and probably a little less production too (good chance Tkachuk isn't on that line next year IMO).

If those things happen, the contract numbers come down.

But if he leads the team again next year, like he has this year, then yeah, we're talking big numbers.

And he will have demonstrated that it wasn't just a career year, and he will have earned it. And it's a good thing.

But let's wait and see.

As for Jankowski, I have been a fan and watched his progression all along. But let's wait and see if he can take that next step before we simply hand it to him.

If Backlund maintains his current play AND Bennett takes the next step AND Jankowski becomes a player, the Flames will have the deepest set of young talent in the NHL.

But let's wait and see if it happens before we start celebrating it.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 10:20 AM   #2862
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
He's also a big team player and seems very loyal to the Flames organisation. I'm not saying he'd take a huge discount to stay in Calgary, but I also don't see him cutting loose and signing with the highest bidder – unless the money on offer is ludicrous.

$5.5m AAV would be workable and not terribly far off the mark in my opinion. It fits the current salary structure, giving him less than the Captain and top scorers.

Also, Bennett has yet to earn the enormous contract New Era is fearful he'll be commanding as an RFA, so having an early-30s Backlund on the books for a few years won't be so painful. We'll likely have Jankowski & Bennett on affordable deals for the best part of the next 5 years. Tkachuk is looking like a guy we might have to budget for though.
This is exactly my feeling as well..he is true Calgary Flame through and through. I'm expecting a a mid 5 to low 5 million per year contract for that reason and well, Treliving is a wizard. If we can get him locked up for the next few years and have Jankowski step in and develop into the third line center role this team will look very good.

Also, I do not think it is at all out of question that Jankowski could develop in to a top 4 center. He has proven he can handle men in the faceoff dot and it just seems like he is excelling at every level he has played at. Im hoping to see a 1A, 1B, 1C but that just may be a little too much to wish for. Then I forget about Bennett, man I love this team.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 10:21 AM   #2863
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Seriously can't believe this is the Jankowski draft thread from five years ago.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 10:38 AM   #2864
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Me too, I was never as negative as some posters. I loved the pick with the future in mind at the time. I thought, if Jankowski can develop each year in college they may very well have a big Joel Otto type center that can play defensively all while being able to chip in on the offensive but without the PIM's and definitely not as tough to play against,unless he grabs a mean streak somewhere.

His development trajectory at the time of the draft put him around 5 years to be pushing for a spot, which in my mind was perfect for the Flames. He would be coming in to a team just coming in to their own. Looks like we are very close to seeing what he can do in the NHL. I'm Much Excite!
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 12:08 PM   #2865
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I have a friend who is a Pens fan that I was watching the draft with and he had some pretty serious beaks about this pick, and then right after they took Maatta. For years I've suffered his abusive taunts with nothing really to say in return.

Rise Janko, Rise and smite down my frienemies.
Old 03-27-2017, 12:15 PM   #2866
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
The far sightedness of Jay Feaster!

Seriously though, I think Todd Button saw this development track potential for Janko, even then.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:29 PM   #2867
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post

Seriously though, I think Todd Button saw this development track potential for Janko, even then.
It's "Tod."

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 12:30 PM   #2868
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaudfather View Post

Jankowski was John Weisbrod's pick.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 12:37 PM   #2869
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
For all we know Button was also a big supporter of Jankowski in the first round. Craig Button is pretty acutely attuned to what Tod is thinking heading into every draft, and he ranked him #14 leading up to the 2012 draft.

Quote:
Old 03-27-2017, 12:51 PM   #2870
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ya Craig's list always seems to match Calgarys.

Must be some note switching going on.
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 12:51 PM   #2871
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's pretty crazy how the Flames went from having Backlund only as a quality center I'm the organizational depth up until the Jankowski draft. Noe you have Janko, Bennett, Monahan, Dube, Lindstrom and Mattson. Sure some won't pan out or stick with the team but it's nice to have noticeable punch in the Center position. Too bad about Bill Arnold, I had hopes for him.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:04 PM   #2872
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the other benefits of the longer developmental track that Jankowski is that it was perfect for the rebuild. There was no point him joining the roster 2012 till present. At least 7 of the players drafted ahead of him are no longer with the team that drafted him. That number will probably climb after the off season.

One thing looking at that draft, is that it was a relatively weak draft. Even though he is just starting his pro career, he doesn't have far to climb in terms of being one of the better players drafted from that year.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Robbob For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 01:19 PM   #2873
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJones View Post
Ya Craig's list always seems to match Calgarys.

Must be some note switching going on.
It makes me think that Ryan Poehling will be the team's newest first round pick this summer. He fits the Jankowski mold to a tee. Big toolsy LH NCAA-path centre that Craig Button is in love with.
Old 03-27-2017, 01:32 PM   #2874
Joe Nieuwendyk
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Button sent Weisbrod on a detour to specifically take a look at Jankowski
Joe Nieuwendyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:32 PM   #2875
DJones
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
It makes me think that Ryan Poehling will be the team's newest first round pick this summer. He fits the Jankowski mold to a tee. Big toolsy LH NCAA-path centre that Craig Button is in love with.
13 points in 35 games for a center is kind of worrisome no?
DJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 01:38 PM   #2876
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Quote:
Ranked #20 by Hockeyprospect.com
Ranked #19 by ISS Hockey
Ranked #17 by Future Considerations
Ranked #14 by McKeen's Hockey
Apparently not.

18 year old playing in the NCAA, probably limited ice time and lesser line mates. Obviously has the scouts loving him looking at those rankings.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 01:41 PM   #2877
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
He's super young. Started college hockey (and College) at 17, didn't turn 18 until January of this year. IIRC he graduated High School a full year early and instead of playing in the USHL for his senior year went right to College.

Unless they have a late birthday according to draft rules the vast majority of players won't have a year of College game under their belt going into the draft. This is a pretty rare situation and pretty remarkable for the kid.

http://www.sctimes.com/story/sports/...scsu/84384928/

He's the only '99 birthyear in Division 1 hockey right now.

Last edited by MrMastodonFarm; 03-27-2017 at 01:45 PM.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2017, 01:56 PM   #2878
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
One of the other benefits of the longer developmental track that Jankowski is that it was perfect for the rebuild. There was no point him joining the roster 2012 till present. At least 7 of the players drafted ahead of him are no longer with the team that drafted him. That number will probably climb after the off season.

One thing looking at that draft, is that it was a relatively weak draft. Even though he is just starting his pro career, he doesn't have far to climb in terms of being one of the better players drafted from that year.
From what I recall a large number of the detractors of this pick here were critical for precisely these reasons. There was some belief that at the beginning of the rebuild the Flames were obligated to take a safer player who projected to play in the NHL in the shorter term, rather than on a project who would take four or five years.

It was thought that the weakness of the prospect pool heading into the 2012 draft necessitated a more conventional pick, and the Flames were "not in a position to gamble" on a player like Jankowski—even suggesting that he would be a better pick for other teams than for the Flames because of this.

Quote:
Old 03-27-2017, 02:00 PM   #2879
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
For all we know Button was also a big supporter of Jankowski in the first round. Craig Button is pretty acutely attuned to what Tod is thinking heading into every draft, and he ranked him #14 leading up to the 2012 draft.
IIRC Tod may have changed his mind by the time the draft happened but at the time Weisbrod scouted him, he was just a suggestion to scout after the player on another team he was originally going to see, wasn't going to be playing.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 02:03 PM   #2880
MolsonInBothHands
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
It's "Tod."
I am sure Mr. Button would let it slide. You can't have enough d in an organization.