Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-28-2013, 12:56 PM   #1601
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
To be fair, it is the middle of the day on a Thursday. Wait till ~3-4 PM EST and things start to pick up.
I would wager to say there is more people in their homes in the US today than any other day of the year.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2013, 12:59 PM   #1602
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I would wager to say there is more people in their homes in the US today than any other day of the year.
Even on holidays, game servers don't ratchet up til 3-4 PM EST.

Source: I'm a gigantic nerd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2013, 01:07 PM   #1603
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Even on holidays, game servers don't ratchet up til 3-4 PM EST.

Source: I'm a gigantic nerd.
Probably eating their faces off first before gaming begins!
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 01:14 PM   #1604
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://kotaku.com/selling-special-xb...bay-1473243877

Last time we looked at Xbox One listings on eBay, we found that people were paying money for the special "Day One" achievement—they're a part of a limited number of Xbox Ones sold on the launch of the console. These Day One consoles come in special "Day One" packaging, pictured above, which people are putting for sale on eBay—sometimes for the price of a full console,

Old 11-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #1605
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

PS4 or 3 owners might wanna check this, some really good deals. Digital downloads so just use a fake US address. All PS3 versions but many can be upgraded for $10

http://forums.redflagdeals.com/amazo...sales-1413258/
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:08 PM   #1606
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just bought a digital download code for BF4 on ps3 for $24.99 (used a Delaware address so no tax) then paid the $10 for the PS4 upgrade

so total $34.99 for BF4 on PS4 plus I got a $5 credit to my amazon account for future psn purchases

all the info is in the link above
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #1607
Violator
On Hiatus

Exp:

Want your broken Xbox back fast it will cost you

http://www.thenewsreports.com/micros...es/2300/annier
Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:35 PM   #1608
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violator View Post
Want your broken Xbox back fast it will cost you

http://www.thenewsreports.com/micros...es/2300/annier
i'm sorry but that article is a load of cow patty. Lacking basic math skills? check. lacking research? check. lacking any critical thought whatsoever? check.

We all want manufacturers to build better products and to stand behind them when something goes wrong, but this article is crap.

$500 @5% for 14 days (to use the author's numbers (but where M$ is getting 5% i'd like to know) is $0.96. Since m$ would be getting half or even 2/3 of that realistically, the author is already materially incorrect. Take a basic math class, please. And realistically, it is a total inconvenience for m$ to invest and manage small amounts of cash like that.

One person (one person !) reported that they had to either send Microsoft money for a swap on the fly or else they had to wait for shipping materials to return it! gasp! oh the humanity! last time, this is exactly what happened and M$ fixed them all!

But wait! wasn't m$ just putting a hold onto a credit card? obviously no credit card or questionable credit from the one person caused m$ to request a refundable deposit or a normal mailing period so they weren't out of pocket for sending a new machine without getting one back.

It is a terrible article, regardless of which fanboi side you find yourself on. do not believe any word of it.
Old 11-29-2013, 11:50 PM   #1609
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Got my first taste of next gen tonight, my buddy picked up an Xbox One. My initial impressions, next gen has definitely arrived and its a definite step up. The interface is silky smooth and the voice commands were very responsive with the kinect. The xbox one controller is truly a thing of beauty.

As for the games, I tried FIFA 14 and Ryse. I've been playing a lot of FIFA on my ps3 and thought maybe the differences would be very subtle, but no. Next gen Fifa is so much more fluid and lifelike in its animations, the details are far better, and the game just feels more alive. As for Ryse, I think it needs to be experienced just to really make people understand what next gen brings to the table. Just a beautiful game. It may be linear and simplistic but I'd get it just to take in the amazing graphics.

Very impressed with my first look at next gen. I was thinking I'd be able to get by with my PS3 for a lot longer but this totally made me want a next gen system faster. Still undecided on which one to get, but I'm excited about what we'll see from the machines in the next few years.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:05 AM   #1610
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

My Kinect died. Microsoft will replace it so it's not a big deal. I forgot to ask if I qualify for a free game though.
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:52 AM   #1611
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still liking the interface with the xbox one. Had it long enough now that it is picking out the favourite channels etc. I could do something similar with the dish box directly but it requires me to go through the 900 channels and manually select the ones I want so I've quite frankly never done it.

Game wise I have Fifa 14 which is outstanding IMO. Also have Just Dance 2014 which the kids absolutely love...evil party game though. At the end of every song there is a video of the dancing which you could then theoretically upload and cause all sorts of embarassment to yourself and friends.

And that controller! Holy crap is it great. How great? My periodic gaming wife noticed how "perfect" it was within the first few seconds in her hands. Makes the PS3 controller seem laughably bad (haven't held the PS4 one for long but didn't really think it was that great).

The parental controls are on one hand great and on the other a bit annoying at times. It's great that if you have your family members with profiles and one of the kids walks into the room the Kinect recognizes it and signs them in. If you are playing a game or app that is above the allowable age for the kid it was pause and ask you to confirm a passkey if they are allowed to view. They would not be allowed to access apps or games above the set age unless the designated parent actively puts in the passkey each time they are signed in. Once they are signed out it resets so even if on that one occassion you put in the passkey it doesn't carry over and give the kid access forever. As a parent with young kids who are just starting out gaming I appreciate this. I imagine parents with 11/12 year olds who stay at home alone for periods of time will also appreciate it.

It is a little annoying when watching Netflix and if the movie is still a kids movie but rated PG and the 5 year old comes in the room it stops and you have to put in the passkey. But that can all be sorted out with custom settings it seems.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 07:45 PM   #1612
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Black Friday percentage figures for consoles:

Xbox One 31%
360 30%
PS3 15%
PS4 15%
Wii U 6%
Wii 1%

PS4 may have been limited by supply but Microsoft made sure they pumped out the consoles for the "occasion".

http://venturebeat.com/2013/11/30/mi...-black-friday/
Old 11-30-2013, 08:26 PM   #1613
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

I cant find PS4 anywhere that is a retail store
Old 11-30-2013, 08:42 PM   #1614
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
Black Friday percentage figures for consoles:

Xbox One 31%
360 30%
PS3 15%
PS4 15%
Wii U 6%
Wii 1%

PS4 may have been limited by supply but Microsoft made sure they pumped out the consoles for the "occasion".

http://venturebeat.com/2013/11/30/mi...-black-friday/
Friday was the PS4's international launch (global too, unlike Xbox One), which likely explains any shortages
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #1615
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

has anyone seen any xbox one games on sale anywhere? i checked all over for black friday etc but everywhere was $60. maybe cyber monday...
Old 11-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #1616
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 11-30-2013, 09:02 PM   #1617
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well aware it was the PS4 international launch and that was likely why a shortage. A bit of a curious decision to short the US market on a day when that amount of money is spent.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:26 AM   #1618
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernie View Post
Well aware it was the PS4 international launch and that was likely why a shortage. A bit of a curious decision to short the US market on a day when that amount of money is spent.
Sony has always seemed to put a higher priority on international markets than Microsoft (PS3 sales dominated Xbox 360 outside of NA). And with most retailers now out of stock of the PS4 and demand still very high, when the stocks do replenish they'll likely go quick, probably right before Christmas. I don't think they're concerned with Black Friday much at all
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #1619
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

In the spirit of the Thunderdome, I guess BF4 tracks currently online players. Kinda surprised there are so many PC's in the mix:

PC - 115,915
PS3 - 87,737
360 - 71,678
Xbone - 28,031
PS4 - 41,207
Old 12-01-2013, 12:07 PM   #1620
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
In the spirit of the Thunderdome, I guess BF4 tracks currently online players. Kinda surprised there are so many PC's in the mix:

PC - 115,915
PS3 - 87,737
360 - 71,678
Xbone - 28,031
PS4 - 41,207
Anyone who has ever played a FPS on a console sure isn't surprised.