Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-29-2013, 07:14 PM   #601
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
PS3 was always a more powerful platform than the Xbox 360, it was just a nightmare to develop for. PS4 is also a more powerful platform than the Xbox One, but now some devs are calling it the easiest console they've ever had to develop for

If anything the gap between the two will only get more noticeable (in Sony's favor) in years to come
The cell processor was garbage. All of it's power was theoretical as well over a half decade after it's release when developers had long figured out how to program it still never yielded anything special. At the last days of the PS3 I've seen nothing markedly better that we haven't seen on the 360. It was overhyped and undercooked.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:20 PM   #602
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
AA Comparison

Xbone

PS4

Jesus
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 07:25 PM   #603
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Confirmed Titanfall 1 exclusivity only, not IP. With it probably being only 720p on Xbone, I could see the much larger install base on the 360 sticking to that platform. Now if they made it Xbone only . . . not that I'd want to give them that idea!

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 09:40 PM   #604
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Jesus
There's no way that Xbox gif is accurate; it looks worse than last gen, fuzzy and not even hd.

From the reliable videos it looks like the PS4 does have better graphics, there's a noticeable difference the way colours look though I think its the same kind of difference in colours you see on current gen-- I've always thought ps3 colours looked better even though the 360 has the overall edge.

The bigger difference appears to be depth of field and how far away things look, like the sky. Also there seem to be better particle type effects in the PS4 scenes, though not always.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013, 10:09 PM   #605
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
There's no way that Xbox gif is accurate; it looks worse than last gen, fuzzy and not even hd.
I don't believe that either picture is a fullscreen capture. It is zoomed in and cropped to show how that portion (not the fullscreen) looks.

I think it shows the difference pretty clearly though.
Old 10-30-2013, 10:03 AM   #606
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

The wording might not be clear, but I assume the pop-in on the PS4 is the same as the Xbone. Obviously doesn't happen on PC though.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/10/30/ba...up-against-pc/

Battlefield 4 on PS4 gives console players their first taste of the fluidity and frenzy that PC players have enjoyed in multiplayer for years now. The Xbox One port, while just as fluid, isn't quite as sharp.

Playing through the entire campaign on Xbox One, I noticed the same consistent frame rate throughout. The most obvious difference between the two platforms was the upscaled resolution. The Xbox One version of Battlefield 4 ran at a native 720p resolution that was upscaled to 1080p, just like other Xbox One games such as Killer Instinct. A major issue with the Xbox One presentation was aliasing. Objects like helicopters, cars and buildings had jagged edges that weren't present in the PS4 version.

The Xbox One installment, on the other hand, wasn't nearly as crisp but was certainly adequate.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #607
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's HUGE! (Poor guy who owns the red car is in for a surprise)

Old 10-30-2013, 12:41 PM   #608
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Xbone Call of Duty at 720p confirmed by Infinity Ward itself. PS4 native 1080p. Damn, the hardware weakness keeps piling up. Pushing less than half the number of pixels for $100 more.

No wonder Microsoft was trying to embargo the hell of out all the journalists before launch.

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1rqqa5o

Last edited by chemgear; 10-30-2013 at 01:03 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #609
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't believe that either picture is a fullscreen capture. It is zoomed in and cropped to show how that portion (not the fullscreen) looks.

I think it shows the difference pretty clearly though.
All I see is that they both suck. I see aliasing on both and while there's less on the PS4 capture there's still lots there. Both disappoint IMO.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:17 PM   #610
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
All I see is that they both suck. I see aliasing on both and while there's less on the PS4 capture there's still lots there. Both disappoint IMO.
masterrace.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2013, 01:20 PM   #611
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2013, 01:30 PM   #612
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay, so with all the worries about the Xbone being underpowered (dare I say crippled ) right off the bat - I have to ask myself. Why am I even getting this system anyhow?

I normally don't give a crap about the cost of electronics (having multiple numbers of the same console is common over here) but if all it can do is 720p for most games and most of the games are going to be on 360/PS4 anyhow . . . what's the system pre-order for? The TV/hdmi sure as heck isn't going to do much/work at launch.

Pretty much $500+ to maybe play "Press A to win" x 999 (aka Ryse) or Killer Instinct (with only SIX characters?!)

Either way, this is going to be a long painful generation cycle for Microsoft with this hardware. What the hell were they thinking?

. . . TV, TV, TV?
The Following User Says Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #613
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh man.

EDIT: Removed image given size and potentially being not representative. Hopefully we'll get better screenshot comparisons soon.

Last edited by chemgear; 10-30-2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:20 PM   #614
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Okay I call shananigans on that one.

They're just rolling the Photoshop Black Level slider to the far left now. Defo a troll.

Also, YER BREAKIN MAH TABLES!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.

Last edited by PsYcNeT; 10-30-2013 at 02:22 PM.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 10-30-2013, 02:21 PM   #615
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

In the console game I'm an xbox guy but it seems this generation Microsfot tried to make the ultimate home entertainment unit instead of a gaming machine. I would buy a PS4
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:31 PM   #616
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

That is one truely bad photoshop.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013, 02:36 PM   #617
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post

They're just rolling the Photoshop Black Level slider to the far left now. Defo a troll.

Yeah there is so much garbage out there right now. Once the systems are out and people get to see with their own eyes none of this crap will matter.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:41 PM   #618
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Okay, so with all the worries about the Xbone being underpowered (dare I say crippled ) right off the bat - I have to ask myself. Why am I even getting this system anyhow?

I normally don't give a crap about the cost of electronics (having multiple numbers of the same console is common over here) but if all it can do is 720p for most games and most of the games are going to be on 360/PS4 anyhow . . . what's the system pre-order for? The TV/hdmi sure as heck isn't going to do much/work at launch.

Pretty much $500+ to maybe play "Press A to win" x 999 (aka Ryse) or Killer Instinct (with only SIX characters?!)

Either way, this is going to be a long painful generation cycle for Microsoft with this hardware. What the hell were they thinking?

. . . TV, TV, TV?
Is Sony paying you here? Really? 720p for most games? Care to back that up and I'm not talking about rumours of one game so far that may have legs. There is zero truth to Titanfall 720p as that was just a single unsubstantiated rumor. I recall that last generation wasn't painful for Microsoft despite having theoretically less power than the PS3 and lets not forget the XBOX 360 didn't even have a Blu ray player and it still handedly spanked the PS3 in North American sales. You can keep filling this thread with fanboy garbage but it's not going to matter as people are still gong to buy the Xbox One.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:14 PM   #619
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Is Sony paying you here? Really? 720p for most games? Care to back that up and I'm not talking about rumours of one game so far that may have legs. There is zero truth to Titanfall 720p as that was just a single unsubstantiated rumor. I recall that last generation wasn't painful for Microsoft despite having theoretically less power than the PS3 and lets not forget the XBOX 360 didn't even have a Blu ray player and it still handedly spanked the PS3 in North American sales. You can keep filling this thread with fanboy garbage but it's not going to matter as people are still gong to buy the Xbox One.
LOL - whoa, easy buddy. I am just thinking out loud. Like I have in this and many other threads. In fact, I'm wondering what other people are thinking - I see that you feel strongly the other way. That's cool.

I like to keep tabs on tech stuff and post discussions/breaking stuff I see elsewhere. Hopefully that helps and adds to the discussion. Sure, I'd like to post more good stuff about Microsoft but right now they're getting bad information releases. Hell, I even posted the new Microsoft commercial just as well as the Sony one. And the fact that Sony can't get their crap together to get standby/pause working and Microsoft will for launch. Hell, I even like the Xbone controller better than the DS4 and said so as much when I had early hands on. But if you don't like that the Xbone is performing at a lower resolution than their competition or their launch messaging sucks or that news is coming out that paints it in a poor light - you're getting mad at the wrong person/company.

PC is always going to be the master race but the video game industry in general is of interest to me. Especially during this big console dual release. It's a great time to see this all unfold.

If you go back, you'll see that I'm asking IF most titles are going to be 720p . . . and it looks like more and more of them are 720p at launch, why might I hold this pre-order then knowing many of the common games will be available on the current generation. Again, essentially thinking out loud and asking for what other people are thinking.

As for the zero truth about Titanfall being 720p, you may indeed be correct with so much time left for them to change or fix it. Maybe it'll be 1080p and 30 fps. Or 720p and 60fps. But there was just "unsubstantiated rumors" for months that the Xbone hardware was underpowered, that COD would only be 720p, that BF wouldn't perform the same on both systems . . . it's all piling up as we get closer to launch. It's all speculation and discussion - isn't that why we have this thread?

I'm a obvious fanboy of gaming and tech and don't mind that you have a different opinion. Clearly you post a lot in the tech forums and care as well. Frankly, I appreciate your input here as much as everybody else. But I think you're getting upset at the wrong person. I'd wish Microsoft would get their crap in order as much as anybody else so that we have better competition to get better services and games for us consumers. If they cancelled the Xbone and suddenly shifted to double the power of the PS4 - I'd happily post that and the resulting awesome screenshots just as much as any other gaming news/rumor/discussion.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:17 PM   #620
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post

You might be right, I'll see if I can find better screenshot comparisons as they become available.

I'll go back and clean it up and try to not blow up your screen.