Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-15-2013, 10:07 AM   #121
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty neat that Sony Execs were doing the rounds and showing up at the various podcasts and live streams. I know Microsoft was cancelling interviews and roundtables but anybody find something similar from their reps?

Sony president Shuhei Yoshida joined IGN for the annual E3 podcast:

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/06/1...shuhei-yoshida

Sony VP Adam Boyes (a Canadian!) joined the Giantbomb gang for beers at 3:18 and slow plays the fact that he brought the first PS4 console out of lockdown for them to check out in person (3:24). Damn that system looks slick. You get a good feel for the size for it in the video.

http://www.twitch.tv/giantbomb/b/416674255
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:02 AM   #122
WilderPegasus
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I don't really see a compelling reason to make the jump to the next generation of gaming consoles. The last one brought us HD. This one seems to be bringing us always online DRM and not-free online play.
WilderPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #123
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Ahhh, now we have our answer confirmed - you get suspended/banned/account locked/stolen/hacked, you lose it all. Multiplayer, single player, disk purchases - doesn't matter. Surprising, I thought this is outright illegal in many countries in the EU. But maybe that is why they are avoiding so many countries.

Can someone explain to me why anyone would want to buy this awful thing?
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:30 PM   #124
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Because that's not true, There was a follow up tweet saying that was in regards to the Xbox 360 not Xbone and was a mistake. Although I see it being true with Xbone also but if you plan on getting banned don't buy it either.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2013, 01:44 PM   #125
WilderPegasus
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Fanboys don't need a reason to be fanboys.
WilderPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #126
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Because that's not true, There was a follow up tweet saying that was in regards to the Xbox 360 not Xbone and was a mistake. Although I see it being true with Xbone also but if you plan on getting banned don't buy it either.
Hasn't there been issues with users having their Live accounts hacked and subsequently banned? I never had it happen to my Live account but I thought I read that somewhere.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:56 PM   #127
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Hasn't there been issues with users having their Live accounts hacked and subsequently banned? I never had it happen to my Live account but I thought I read that somewhere.
I'm sure there has been issues with this and I do think that removing all games from an account shouldn't be allowed. But I'm also sure the same thing would happen if someone hacked your PSN account and used a stolen credit card or something.

Its these issues that will need to be addressed before we can move forward into a completely digital download age.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #128
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah, Microsoft has a pretty bad rep with Xbox Live accounts. For multiple years, the Fifa hacks ran rampant with little action. Google "Xbox Fifa Hack" and you'll get a good feel for things - CBC even has a long write up on it from just a few months ago (Jesus, they're still happening?!). And heaven help you if you try to remove a credit card from your Xbox Live Account - they've done everything possible to prevent it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
But I'm also sure the same thing would happen if someone hacked your PSN account and used a stolen credit card or something.

Its these issues that will need to be addressed before we can move forward into a completely digital download age.
Yup, but I think the uproar from people is that Sony isn't requiring that all physical disks be registered to a single digital account unlike Microsoft. At worst, you lose your account you could still play them all on a new system.

Totally agree with your second paragraph. But I'm sure customers may not like the answers of that digital age.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #129
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Still don't think cheating in a video game should cost you all your games that you purchased.

It's a game. Ban them from playing online sure, but to start taking their property?

I guess MS doesn't view it as "yours" anymore by the sounds of things.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #130
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 06-15-2013, 02:51 PM   #131
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
My brother in law had his account banned and had no clue why. They wouldn't reply to his info requests or anything. All paid DLC was lost which is pretty lame.
Old 06-15-2013, 02:58 PM   #132
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ in that twitter, replace "travel a lot" with "move for work/move for school/etc."

Microsoft's likely answer?

"Well, you know what list of countries you can move to without losing your games. Don't go elsewhere."

or

"Check with us every 24 hours to make sure you have permission to move to an approved country."

Last edited by chemgear; 06-15-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:16 PM   #133
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
And for Xbone:

Makes you wonder if at release the games are going to look as good on the Xbone. Funny how they're using an Nvidia card and MS have no faith in Windows 8.
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:33 PM   #134
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Jesus H are we sure that xboxsupport twitter isn't a troll?
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:39 PM   #135
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedOut View Post
Makes you wonder if at release the games are going to look as good on the Xbone. Funny how they're using an Nvidia card and MS have no faith in Windows 8.
Pretty sure Sony does this too. I think it's because the game demos are still mostly in development stages so they have to run off the DevKits which run off a PC. I don't care for the Xbone as much as the next guy, but I'm not bothered by this.
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:49 PM   #136
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasa View Post
Pretty sure Sony does this too. I think it's because the game demos are still mostly in development stages so they have to run off the DevKits which run off a PC. I don't care for the Xbone as much as the next guy, but I'm not bothered by this.
Nope

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/PS4...PCs-56752.html
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2013, 11:03 PM   #137
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
Jesus H are we sure that xboxsupport twitter isn't a troll?
I'm wondering that too... it might be time to ammend Poe's Law as such:

"Without a blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of extremism, fundamnetalism, or Xbox support that someone won't mistake for the real thing."
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2013, 11:11 PM   #138
Yasa
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I stand corrected!
Yasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 01:58 AM   #139
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Even if Microsoft did the business calculations I see no way where they'll actually be more profitable after their new policies.

With all the negative PR, which just piles up more and more every day do they really think they are going to get people switching over from Playstation to Xbox, I doubt it. Then of course there is the 24 hour validation decision which alienates about 40% of their Xbox 360 demographic since those people don't even connect to Live. Then to go further only 1/2 of the people who are connected to the internet with the 360 actually use Xbox Live. That leaves them with about (I'll be generous) 25 million users who would switch from the 360 to Xbone. But they have already pissed about 90% of the market off with their business decisions moving forward with the Xbox One, so even more of their Xbox Live Gold members will switch to the PS4.

I just can't see how when they crunch the numbers that their business strategy makes sense. I would also put money on something happening with the Xbox One that will mirror what happened with Diablo 3 and Sim City (ie. players can't play).
I await TorqueDog, ErickEstrada, robaur and @XboxSupport to chime in calling me a goof and how excellent Microsoft's decisions are for the gaming community.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:22 AM   #140
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wasn't all that interested in the new consoles, but I have been caught up in it a bit this last week. I was especially caught up in the circlejerk for the PS4. When comparing it to Xbox One, PS4 seemed to have some slight advantages, and none of the disadvantages of the Xbox.

But, I'm trying to be fair, and have come across two things the Xbox One does that are at least interesting on the surface.

1. HDMI Input allows your cable TV feed to pass through the Xbox. This means you can have the XBox overlay, without fiddling around switching inputs. You can be watching TV, and get a friend request to start gaming, and jump right into the game. Nothing crazy, just a small step towards putting the Xbox at the centre of your living room experience.

2. The idea of sharing games with up to 10 "family" members. Still not really any details, but it seems convenient to share a collection of games with a group of friends. Seems odd, though. So we'll wait for some details to see how restrictive this will actually be.

The 24 hour check-in does seem ridiculous to me. I am not buying a console and $60 games if I won't be able to play it due to an extended server outage, etc. It seems a reasonable compromise would be to allow disc-based games to be used offline, and only require the check-in if you try to play a downloaded game. But in that case, I expect a discount for downloaded games. I'm not paying full price if it comes with more restrictions on how I can use it.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote