Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2024, 01:09 PM   #6061
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
It sounds like so far, the only casualties of Iran's attack were 3 Jordanians and Israeli-Bedouin child.

I kind of hope Israel doesn't respond directly to this attack. I think it sends a better message to show you don't take them seriously enough to even bother. And for those claiming Iran's attack was in response for the consulate attack that killed terrorist, maybe in isolation, but the tit-for-tat has been going on a long time. Israel's attack on the consulate was a response to something as well. It's not really helpful in understanding the big picture to just arbitrarily pick on point and say, this is where it began.

As a side note, I don't think Hamas will be able to hold out much longer. At the start of the war, Israeli and Egyptian intelligence agree that Hamas had enough hoarded food and medicine from the people of Gaza to sustain themselves for about 4-6 months. Pretty soon they are going to have to give up.
Well, it absolutely was in response to Israel’s attack, as it was a significant enough act that it required a “showy” response. But, like you, I hope that it’s enough to quiet this chapter of the tit-for-tat, because nothing good comes from Israel continuing this.

I don’t really understand what people who want this to continue or who are criticizing those who think Israel shouldn’t respond to the response want outside of more innocent people dying.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 01:13 PM   #6062
TherapyforGlencross
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
It sounds like so far, the only casualties of Iran's attack were 3 Jordanians and Israeli-Bedouin child.

I kind of hope Israel doesn't respond directly to this attack. I think it sends a better message to show you don't take them seriously enough to even bother. And for those claiming Iran's attack was in response for the consulate attack that killed terrorist, maybe in isolation, but the tit-for-tat has been going on a long time. Israel's attack on the consulate was a response to something as well. It's not really helpful in understanding the big picture to just arbitrarily pick on point and say, this is where it began.

As a side note, I don't think Hamas will be able to hold out much longer. At the start of the war, Israeli and Egyptian intelligence agreed that Hamas had enough hoarded food and medicine from the people of Gaza to sustain themselves for about 4-6 months. Pretty soon they are going to have to give up.
Recent news suggests Israel will be responding militarily.

https://apnews.com/article/mideast-t...fc89a7408dc296

I do think Iran had every right to send a message, I mean bombing a consulate, even if the embassy wasn’t targeted, is sure an escalation, although I am sympathetic at why it was targeted. While minimal damage was inflicted, over 100 ballistic missiles were fired. This wasn’t just a ‘for show’ attack, I think Iran meant serious damage. Israel’s Arrow defence was largely uncontested/unverified on how well it would work, if more than a few actually hit, damage would likely be substantial. I don’t think Israel cannot not respond, wouldn’t it set a precedence that firing away at Israel is fair game, just because they have superior defence mechanisms?

If Israel is going to attack, going after Iran’s drone manufacturing plants would be a net positive, considering the effect it has on the Ukraine war as well. Of course, I do hope this settles down, war is a net-negative on everyone involved.

Last edited by TherapyforGlencross; 04-15-2024 at 01:16 PM.
TherapyforGlencross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 01:14 PM   #6063
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
Tell us more about your thoughts on the Women's Revolution in Iran.
Tell you more? I haven't told anything?

Because like her I have zero experience on it.

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 01:17 PM   #6064
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1779829528233185348

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 01:48 PM   #6065
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post

Fact of the matter is, Israel attacked Iran's diplomatic compound in Damascus. A response from Iran was inevitable. Yes, Iran does have a right to defend itself. That right isn't granted only to the US and its proxies.
Iran was behind the attempted terrorist attacks on the Israeli and American embassies in Azerbaijan. The attacks were foiled, but it still shows that the Islamist Republic and its proxies are a danger to the security of everyone. They also planned to bomb the Israeli and Saudi embassies in Washington, but again were foiled. Iran doesn't give a crap about the sanctity of an embassy or consulate. When those plots failed, do you know what they did instead? They hit a soft target and bombed a bus in Bulgaria carrying Israeli tourists, through their Hezbollah proxy, to get their blood lust out. That's the kind of work that happens in Iranian consulates.

Bombing the consulate in Damascus while Zahedi was there, was self-defense and everyone should be glad he is dead. He was recognized as a terrorist not just by Western countries, but also in Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and Jordan.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 04-15-2024 at 11:34 PM.
FlamesAddiction is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 02:34 PM   #6066
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
lanny

Quote:
Iran was behind the attempted terrorist attacks on the Israeli and American embassies in Azerbaijan. The attacks were foiled, but it still shows that the Islamist Republic and its proxies are a danger to the security of everyone. They also planned to bomb the Israeli and Saudi embassies in Washington, but again were foiled. Iran doesn't give a crap about the sanctity of an embassy or consulate. When those plots failed, do you know what they did instead? They hit a soft target and bombed a bus in Bulgaria carrying Israeli tourists, through their Hezbollah proxy, to get their blood lust out.

Bombing the consulate in Damascus while Zahedi was there, was self-defense. He was recognized as a terrorist not just by Western countries, but also in Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and Jordan.
Sure.

But an embassy got bombed and the owners of that embassy are rightfully pissed off. This isn't hard. Nothing about the response over the weekend was unsurprising.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 04:00 PM   #6067
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Q_ View Post
Sure.

But an embassy got bombed and the owners of that embassy are rightfully pissed off. This isn't hard. Nothing about the response over the weekend was unsurprising.
Yah, this isn’t hard. Launch daily rockets for years and then invade and brutalize civilians for no purpose whatsoever, letting Palestinians pay the price by hiding behind them, pushing Lebanon into the line of fire, while using the “embassy” cheat code. Brilliant. And getting the useful idiots out to protest on your behalf is rather cult like if you ask me.

You guys are out to lunch. Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia and Jordan stepping up and doing the right thing must infuriate you.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nage Waza For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 04:12 PM   #6068
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
Yah, this isn’t hard. Launch daily rockets for years and then invade and brutalize civilians for no purpose whatsoever, letting Palestinians pay the price by hiding behind them, pushing Lebanon into the line of fire, while using the “embassy” cheat code. Brilliant. And getting the useful idiots out to protest on your behalf is rather cult like if you ask me.

You guys are out to lunch. Meanwhile, Saudi Arabia and Jordan stepping up and doing the right thing must infuriate you.
Why would it infuriate anyone?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 04:13 PM   #6069
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
Tell you more? I haven't told anything?

Because like her I have zero experience on it.
The reason that you are not hearing7 women from Iran speaking out, is because their revolution was not supported, or carried much in the media. The women who did speak out and March in Iran, were arrested.

Did you know that pure women get to go to heaven? So to make sure that they weren't pure, they were assaulted in prison, regardless of age or innocence. That way they could be killed and denied an afterlife.

So I'm giving someone giving them voice, from Britain, a pass.
Old 04-15-2024, 04:19 PM   #6070
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:

As a side note, I don't think Hamas will be able to hold out much longer. At the start of the war, Israeli and Egyptian intelligence agreed that Hamas had enough hoarded food and medicine from the people of Gaza to sustain themselves for about 4-6 months. Pretty soon they are going to have to give up.
It is huge, huge, huge that Saudi Arabia and Jordan helped.

Because now they can work with Israel and say tit for tat isn't necessary, and combining their efforts to eradicate Hamas & Iran's influence can be accomplished by working together.

I haven't looked at the news today, but the fact that Israel, who actually has a policy of almost forced retaliation has not actually retaliated speaks volumes of what is going on in the background.

They may yet retaliate, which is their right, but it sure seems like the adults are involved and making sure this situation does not completely go over the edge.

Which of course doesn't exactly jive with the narrative that the 'Israel is BAD OMG' crowd is throwing around.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2024, 04:21 PM   #6071
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

I mean I didn't actually think that we'd get to the point where people are making excuses / defending Iran.

But here we are.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2024, 04:27 PM   #6072
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Which of course doesn't exactly jive with the narrative that the 'Israel is BAD OMG' crowd is throwing around.
It’s good that we can rally around this, forget and forgive the tens of thousands of dead women, children, journalists, aid workers, and the near complete destruction of Gaza ensuring innocent people will never come back from this… all because Israel didn’t respond within 24 hours to the response to their bombing of a consulate which was a response to something else which was a response to something else (and so on).
Old 04-15-2024, 11:38 PM   #6073
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They may yet retaliate, which is their right, but it sure seems like the adults are involved and making sure this situation does not completely go over the edge.
Israel in known to play the long game. Hopefully cooler heads prevail and the situation deescalates because a larger regional war isn't good for anybody.

You can be sure that at the very least, they are taking a number for next time.
Old 04-16-2024, 07:38 AM   #6074
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Israel bombed a mosque today killing mostly women and children.

The only democracy of the middle east showing how democratic they are.

They are also playing the victim and asking for Iranian sanctions. Think its about time we sanction Israel and label them a terrorist state like Hezbollah and Hamas.

BDS
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 08:20 AM   #6075
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post

They are also playing the victim and asking for Iranian sanctions. Think its about time we sanction Israel and label them a terrorist state like Hezbollah and Hamas.

BDS
Just keeps coming. Brutal.

You have a source for this?
Old 04-16-2024, 09:08 AM   #6076
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been reading on some pockets online that Saudi Arabia helped Israel during the Iran retaliation, but mostly from western media and Israeli sources. Is there any truth to it or is it propoganda? I also read from a apparent Saudi source which says its essentially fake news.

Quote:
RIYADH —#Saudi Arabia was not involved in intercepting recent Iranian attacks on Israel, according to informed sources speaking to Al Arabiya TV channel.

The sources stressed that there have been no official statements issued regarding Saudi involvement in countering these attacks.

This clarification follows reports by some Israeli news sites that attributed statements to an official Saudi source, claiming the Kingdom's participation in the defensive alliance that responded to the Iranian attacks.
https://saudigazette.com.sa/article/642103
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 09:18 AM   #6077
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I've been reading on some pockets online that Saudi Arabia helped Israel during the Iran retaliation, but mostly from western media and Israeli sources. Is there any truth to it or is it propoganda? I also read from a apparent Saudi source which says its essentially fake news.

https://saudigazette.com.sa/article/642103
Psyop

https://twitter.com/user/status/1779963820636622858

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2024, 02:59 PM   #6078
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post

BDS
Well I can't find a report on this, so care to share?

I even waiting 4+ hours from when you posted.

Or can the mods just ban you for trolling. Because that is all you are.
Old 04-16-2024, 04:21 PM   #6079
Zary's-Mustache
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Well I can't find a report on this, so care to share?

I even waiting 4+ hours from when you posted.

Or can the mods just ban you for trolling. Because that is all you are.

You really are something. Literally takes a 2 second google search for you to find it. You're honestly embarrassing yourself in this thread.

WARNING: Do not watch if you don't like seeing dead and injured children being pulled out of the rubble. I couldn't get past first 30 seconds.
https://youtu.be/sMPM7LxdA94?si=RddZ2gdRgpZJT8os
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2024, 04:29 PM   #6080
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Psyop
I don't think any mainstream news sources even reported on it. It never really made much sense as the U.S. has 5 bases in Saudi Arabia and wouldn't need to call on them. The fewer countries doing anything, probably the better.