Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Should the Flames bring back Treliving
Yes 259 38.89%
No 17 2.55%
This is so obviously yes it shouldn't be a poll question 390 58.56%
Voters: 666. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2017, 10:54 AM   #301
icecube
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

The Flames finally have a good thing going with stable management that knows what they are doing. We have seen time and time again what happens when meddling owners come in and ruin the long term plans. It sets franchises back years.

I will be done with the Calgary Flames and NHL hockey if this happens. My patience only goes so far. I have better things to do with my life then be frustrated with idiots running the asylum.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to icecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 10:54 AM   #302
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scorpion is not a mod even if he says so, just an FYI.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:01 AM   #303
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
I like Conroy as a guy and I'm sure he's valuable as an assistant GM with how affable he is, but I really just do not want him as the GM...
I sure hope Treliving is re-signed, and will be extremely disappointed and upset if he is not. But comments like this really bug me. If you have no metric for evaluating the work that Craig Conroy has done in his capacity as AGM, then why would you not think he would make a good General Manager? Because he is affable and energetic? The same goes for people who get excited about AGMs from outside (or inside) organisations that they believe will make excellent GMs. How do you know, one way or the other? Who remembers how many of us (I might have been included in this group) were firmly behind Burke hiring Jim Benning to replace Jay Feaster, and were then subsequently disappointed when he took the job in Vancouver? how about Jim Nill?

The point here is that without any insight into what they do and how well they are doing it, we simply have no way of knowing whether any of these candidates would make for a successful manager. The fact Conroy is being mentioned in connection with another GM vacancy makes think that he is probably pretty good at what he is being paid to do—whatever that is. All any of us can really say is that IF Treliving is somehow replaced by Conroy, then I sure hope that he does a good job. We have no real reason to believe that he would not.

Anyhow, please extend Treliving now, Flames.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 04-21-2017 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:06 AM   #304
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
Does it piss you off because it's not true?

Bishop was traded a few days before the deadline. It isn't like it was the Lightning only had 20 left to fax the trade in. So the deadline threat is BS

Yzerman also came out and said there were no other offers on the table, or not better offers.

I have no doubt the Flames kicked tires, but this is utter bullshi-

Based on how Treliving negotiates, I can't see this rumour coming from him. It isn't his style to negotiate publically, and letting rumous like this spread are inconsistent with his approach. Further, a rumour like this makes his job more difficult anyways as it affects the reputation of the team.

So while I think you should be pissed off, I don't think it should be at King, it should instead be because of a rumour that has a lot of questionable details.
I should re-itterate that the rumour comes from a source OUTSIDE the Flames organisation—someone who circulates in high levels of hockey, but there is no certain connection between him/her and the information provided by daredevil.

Also, you are delusional if you believe that anything you or I or other nameless faceless schmucks say on the internet has any effect whatsoever on Treliving's reputation or his ability to do his job. Nobody who matters cares what we think or believe.

Quote:
Old 04-21-2017, 11:08 AM   #305
DiracSpike
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just my .02 dude. If the standard is having to have intimate knowledge of all Flames inner workings to comment this board wouldn't exist and that's no fun. I didn't slander Conroy, he just doesn't strike me as the cerebral cut-throat guy that an elite GM has to be.
The Following User Says Thank You to DiracSpike For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 11:10 AM   #306
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Ugh I wish I hadn't waded into this thread. I thought re-signing Treliving was only a formality at this point, now I see that not only is it possible that there is a divide between Treliving and King/Edwards but Craig Conroy would be the replacement!? Staggering if true.

Just re-sign the guy.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:11 AM   #307
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daredevil View Post
I stand by the source of where this came from.

Regardless, it makes for discussion, and after all that's what we all come here to do.
I have zero doubt that your source is passing along what they heard.

And thanks for posting, as it does make for interesting discussion.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to automaton 3 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 11:14 AM   #308
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Just my .02 dude. If the standard is having to have intimate knowledge of all Flames inner workings to comment this board wouldn't exist and that's no fun. I didn't slander Conroy, he just doesn't strike me as the cerebral cut-throat guy that an elite GM has to be.
Sure, and you are welcome to your opinion. I am certainly not out of line pointing out that none of us really has any idea whether or not Conroy would be a good GM. That is all.

Quote:
Old 04-21-2017, 11:33 AM   #309
DionTheDman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe he's like Carol from TWD. All the nice nice stuff is just a facade. Really, he's the most cutthroat of them all.
Old 04-21-2017, 11:53 AM   #310
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have been a season ticket holder my entire life (dad first had them in the Corral when the team moved to Calgary) and people know me on this board.

I might start a new thread because of all things Flames related, if that rumour regarding King meddling in hockey operations, having final sign off, and not being available to approve the Bishop trade is true, I will not be able to contain my anger.

I really hope we can confirm because if this is the arrangement between ownership and management I am done - will immediately cancel my season tickets.

Last edited by Manhattanboy; 04-21-2017 at 11:56 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Manhattanboy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 12:04 PM   #311
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

My hope:

Burke takes ken kings spot ( king takes harvey the hounds spot)
Tree takes burks spot
Conroy takes trees spot.
Find new assistant gm
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 12:16 PM   #312
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
I have been a season ticket holder my entire life (dad first had them in the Corral when the team moved to Calgary) and people know me on this board.

I might start a new thread because of all things Flames related, if that rumour regarding King meddling in hockey operations, having final sign off, and not being available to approve the Bishop trade is true, I will not be able to contain my anger.

I really hope we can confirm because if this is the arrangement between ownership and management I am done - will immediately cancel my season tickets.

The fact that the radio guys are even talking about a "GM search" is insane. The worst part is if this rumor is true, and results in Tre leaving, you'd have to think that this would leak after the fact. That would result in huge backlash by fans against the franchise, and a potential removal/reshuffling of King, all of which would come too late after the fact .
Old 04-21-2017, 12:20 PM   #313
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Two of the mods have reached out to confirm.
Thanks! I also believe you are repeating exactly what you heard. It's the source that I am dubious about.

When you have a long and varied career there will be people that have a bone to pick with you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 12:23 PM   #314
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by atb View Post
The fact that the radio guys are even talking about a "GM search" is insane. The worst part is if this rumor is true, and results in Tre leaving, you'd have to think that this would leak after the fact. That would result in huge backlash by fans against the franchise, and a potential removal/reshuffling of King, all of which would come too late after the fact .
What if KK is stepping down, to be replaced by Burke, Burke replaced by Tre? GM search happens to make sure Conroy is not automatic.

There is no way they let Tre walk.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:24 PM   #315
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Two of the mods have reached out to confirm.
I've always been curious what the process is for a mod to confirm a source.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:37 PM   #316
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
I presume it is not much more than them asking who the source is and maybe asking how the information was obtained. It's not like there is any ability to independently verify the info.

At the end of the day I'm happy to have people share info, even if I don't always believe it is true.

I also have to shake my head about any insinuation that the flames are somehow a second rate organization or a train wreck, regardless of whether this is true or not.

The idea that a GM may not have full autonomy with zero oversight doesn't seem at all weird to me.

Way to many people seem to equate getting a sign off from a boss to unwanted interference and meddling.

We have definitely heard some rumblings it is the latter, but have never had even a shred of credible evidence. When you think of Al Davis, Jerry Jones and some of the other owners in professional sports meddling, even others in the NHL like Florida, Edmonton or Buffalo, there is zero hard evidence the Flames owners have that type of involvement.

I don't know for sure what the deal is with the Flames but I'm not overly worried like some that we are an organization in crisis with a league wide reputation in the gutter. It's actually bizarre fans would pretend to have any idea how the Flames rate to other players or management league wide.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:13 PM   #317
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
It amounts to asking for the identity of the source on the condition that it will remain confidential. This practice is to weed out posters who might know something credible as opposed to those who were standing in line at Orange Julius or passing on stuff they hear from the custodial staff.

Again, I feel it is important to reiterate that while I have no reason nor expertise upon which to doubt the legitimacy of information provided by daredevil's source, please bear in mind that he/she is not part of the Flames organisation. I think it is possibly accurate information, but it is second hand: in other words, daredevil's source has a source of his/her own.

Quote:
Old 04-21-2017, 01:39 PM   #318
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

You never forget about Tre....

NSFW!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 01:46 PM   #319
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Would we be okay with Burke taking Kings spot, Tre taking Burkes spot, and Mahoney taking Tre spot? Im not a fan of Conroy being GM, or you bring Lombardi on board.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:52 PM   #320
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Would we be okay with Burke taking Kings spot, Tre taking Burkes spot, and Mahoney taking Tre spot? Im not a fan of Conroy being GM, or you bring Lombardi on board.
I am fine with Burke taking King's spot, but not at all with losing Treliving as the General Manager. I would much prefer to see Maloney assume Pres. of Hockey Ops., and to keep Treliving and Conroy where they are. Give Treliving a huge raise if necessary, but he needs to remain the Flames GM.

Quote:
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread