Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-04-2016, 12:45 PM   #21
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Lets be honest here, there hasn't been a great deal of progression in his game since his rookie season. His skating is terrible. He is constantly gliding when he should be moving his feet. He is incapable of skating the puck into the zone. He refuses to use his body.

He's got a nice wrister and is pretty good in the dot. That isn't enough in the NHL today.

I want to like him but he is the player im most concerned about right now. You'd think with the struggles he's having and the fact he's slowly losing ice time he'd come out fired up but he's getting more passive every game.
This is largely true. Monahan's anticipation and shot are excellent. He knows where to be on the ice. He's going to score a lot of goals in this league. But the rest of his game is weak. He has good defensive awareness but he lacks the energy and speed to make him a really good two-way centre. And he's Bouwmeeser soft. The comparisons to Toews are ridiculous.

The good thing is he's young enough to round out his game. He'll never be a great skater, but he can absolutely learn to be more aggressive on the forecheck and back check, and use a more active stick. Play a heavier game in the corners. If he wants to. Or he may just decide that scoring goals is pretty much his thing.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:47 PM   #22
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The way Toews has started the season, the comparisons are pretty accurate...
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 12:51 PM   #23
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Fisher View Post
Should we all write a letter to Ken King to make him aware that Monahan is playing terrible?

I know Johnny isn't having a great year either, but he is shouldering the most criticism and he has more points than Monahan (and playing better) and is only making a few hundred thousand more than Mony
Do it, before it's too late.
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to the2bears For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2016, 12:53 PM   #24
The Professor
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I wrote this in the PGT. I thought he actually had a few shifts where he looked really good. He carried the puck into the zone, found open ice, evaded checks. He then passed it directly to a Sharks player.

But I think it could be a step in the right direction. Getting more comfortable with the puck seems to be key.

I agree he's been poor and I also agree that it shouldn't be panic inducing.
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Professor For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2016, 12:59 PM   #25
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not playing well but that line is totally out of sync right now.

I think both Gaudreau and Monahan are probably feeling the pressure coming into the season with big deals and as the go to players.

I actually have very little concern. Both Monahan and Gaudreau will figure it out.

Monahan particularly just handles himself with a lot of maturity, he's got the mental strength to get through it and be even better on the other side.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:03 PM   #26
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guy is still young...he will come around

Iggy did this basically every year for a decade. On a positive note the Flames look like a pretty balanced team upfront. IF they can get the top line going they will really be in business
Old 11-04-2016, 01:08 PM   #27
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

He was horrible to start the season, and then the back to back road games against Chicago and St Louis I thought he looked much better. Now it's slipped again.

If it's injury, he needs to sit and get better, because this is not a "contributing despite the injury" situation right here. He's a detriment.

However, like I said in the GT last night, I've got more patience for his poor play to start a new contract than I do for Gaudreau's as a result of how those two signings varied. Right or wrong, it's just how I feel about it
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:09 PM   #28
Justin
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Lets be honest here, there hasn't been a great deal of progression in his game since his rookie season. His skating is terrible. He is constantly gliding when he should be moving his feet. He is incapable of skating the puck into the zone. He refuses to use his body.

He's got a nice wrister and is pretty good in the dot. That isn't enough in the NHL today.

I want to like him but he is the player im most concerned about right now. You'd think with the struggles he's having and the fact he's slowly losing ice time he'd come out fired up but he's getting more passive every game.
Sounds like you're describing Michael Ryder.

Hopefully Monahan's game comes back around sooner rather than later.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:12 PM   #29
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Even when he is healthy, I just never see him outplay or play to a draw the Kesler, Couture, Krejci, Duchene, Hanzals of the world. His game lacks identity and imposition and I don't know how to fix that. I don't doubt he will turn his season around once we get a soft stretch, but I doubt his career is headed for the pinnacles that people were plotting out when he got hot between Hudler and Gaudreau two years back. That would however be the best fit for him, in between two strong play drivers where he can just focus on finding the back of the net and winning offensive zone draws. Hopefully Mangiapane can be that guy, and soon, or maybe Dube, to be Monahan's other flank.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 11-04-2016 at 01:17 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:19 PM   #30
vilzeh
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm gonna get a lot of hate probably but I've never liked his game, always floating down the ice, never seen the compete level, he's good at positioning and releasing his shot but other than that, I don't see anything 'special, a lot of his goals seems also so flukey.

I hope he figures it out.
vilzeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:25 PM   #31
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilzeh View Post
I'm gonna get a lot of hate probably but I've never liked his game, always floating down the ice, never seen the compete level, he's good at positioning and releasing his shot but other than that, I don't see anything 'special, a lot of his goals seems also so flukey.

I'll take the guy that leads his draft class by 24 goals after 3 seasons that floats and is always in position any day at 6th overall.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:26 PM   #32
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just going to throw a comparison out there that has always struck me with Monahan, notwithstanding that it's comparing a center to a winger... Dave Andreychuk. His playing style reminds me a lot of Dave Andreychuk.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:29 PM   #33
vilzeh
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
I'll take the guy that leads his draft class by 24 goals after 3 seasons that floats and is always in position any day at 6th overall.
Me too, the problem is just that he's a #1 center when I think he should be #2, because of his poor compete level.
vilzeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:29 PM   #34
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Just going to throw a comparison out there that has always struck me with Monahan, notwithstanding that it's comparing a center to a winger... Dave Andreychuk. His playing style reminds me a lot of Dave Andreychuk.
You mean crappy Dave Andreychuk that only scored 1338 pt in 1639 games, not even a pt per game production.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:30 PM   #35
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
That is an interesting comparison.

I still think Monahan is a bonafide top line centre in the NHL, but will often not appear like a dominating player because his game is so subtle. I'm honestly not the least bit worried about him coming around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2016, 01:32 PM   #36
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilzeh View Post

I'm actually with you. I've never liked his game, but he has always put up great numbers, so I've never really said anything. He has incredible offensive instincts; he just knows where to be. I would just like to see him muck it up a little more, throw his body around, win a battle. He relies too heavily on his instincts imo, and he could be so much better. He looks like he skates timidly.
MillerTime GFG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MillerTime GFG For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2016, 01:34 PM   #37
Bear
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Even when he is healthy, I just never see him outplay or play to a draw the Kesler, Couture, Krejci, Duchene, Hanzals of the world. His game lacks identity and imposition and I don't know how to fix that. I don't doubt he will turn his season around once we get a soft stretch, but I doubt his career is headed for the pinnacles that people were plotting out when he got hot between Hudler and Gaudreau two years back. That would however be the best fit for him, in between two strong play drivers where he can just focus on finding the back of the net and winning offensive zone draws. Hopefully Mangiapane can be that guy, and soon, or maybe Dube, to be Monahan's other flank.
This. Those that are viewing his issues as isolated to a slow start this season are missing the point IMO. There have been obvious weaknesses for 3 years that we've seen little to no improvement on. Naturally a young player will have weaknesses, the issue with Monahan is he hasn't addressed any of them.
Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:37 PM   #38
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only positive thing around this team at the moment in my eyes is the fact that they're still playing as though they've never played professional hockey before.

As we know that for the majority of the team this is untrue, it supposes that once they remember that they're professional hockey players and put it together this team will at least play as though they know what they're doing.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 01:39 PM   #39
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's good but he's not playing good. He's plays too simple and doesn't have any edge to his game, if he's not putting up points he should be helping the team in other ways and he just isn't...right now. If he was throwing his body around or doing something else to help, this wouldn't seem that bad but it seems that if he isn't putting up points, he's useless. Someone needs to light a fire under his butt and get him going.
Old 11-04-2016, 01:42 PM   #40
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good karma! Lets hope this thread does for Monahan what the Hamilton thread did for Dougie.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote