Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-22-2016, 12:54 PM   #201
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Rick Nash won a few scoring titles. Hard to see that in Monahans future.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 01:06 PM   #202
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Putting Monahan's poor point production aside, I just don't like the way he competes. It could be his back is still bothering him but the lack of awareness when he was stripped of the puck coming out of his zone was a back breaker for the game. It's way to early to panic about his future but he needs to wake up or get his ice time limited until he gets it together.

This is the play I'm talking about courtesy of bingo's take.

Quote:
Right before the Flames got into penalty trouble Sean Monahan got caught from behind, turning the puck over, creating the Sabres pressure that led to the Sabres game turning 5 on 3 powerplay. He didn’t take the penalties, but if he had showed a little hustle and had his feet moving the puck would have went deep and the whole mess could have been avoided. Hockey is a game of little battles, he lost one there and it snowballed. …
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2016, 01:12 PM   #203
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
Rick Nash won a few scoring titles. Hard to see that in Monahans future.
He's never won a scoring title. He has one Rocket
richard.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 03:33 PM   #204
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
There are 20 goal scorers that are out of job at the moment, that standard just isn't enough anymore in today's league. Monahan has to find another way to contribute when he is not scoring. Especially when he is paid over 6 million.

I posted this a week ago or so that many of the other young guys who just signed a big deal are struggling too so I'm not worried about scoring, everyone has slumps. I'm more worried about his overall game when he is not scoring.
This is an interesting statement. Can you name one guy who scored 20 goals last year that isn't still playing? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that number will be 0.

20 goals is absolutely good enough to get an NHL job. It's not $6.3mil good, but give me a break, 20 goals is still really good in the NHL.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 03:59 PM   #205
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

I don't feel Monahan will ever truly live up to his contract. He reminds me a bit of a guy like Brad Boyes - never someone who will drive scoring on your team or carry a line, but can play with decent players and not look out of place.

He has extremely strong positioning in the offensive zone and gets himself in good areas to score on a play or finish a play, but the other areas of his game will need significant polishing if he ever hopes to become a "true" 1st line C. His defensive game needs to improve significantly and you always want to see more physicality and engagement going to the tougher areas of the ice.

I think we're going to see what he is really made of while Gaudreau is out. We'll see if he rises to the challenge.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaramonLS For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2016, 04:24 PM   #206
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
This is an interesting statement. Can you name one guy who scored 20 goals last year that isn't still playing? I'm going to go out on a limb and say that number will be 0.

20 goals is absolutely good enough to get an NHL job. It's not $6.3mil good, but give me a break, 20 goals is still really good in the NHL.

I looked it up. Every guy who scored 20 or more goals is still playing in the NHL.

Not only that, while not a glimmering stat, only 101 out of roughly 400 forwards scored 20 or more goals. Making it (from a purely offensive outlook) that of a 1st/2nd liner.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-22-2016, 04:35 PM   #207
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
There are 20 goal scorers that are out of job at the moment, that standard just isn't enough anymore in today's league. Monahan has to find another way to contribute when he is not scoring. Especially when he is paid over 6 million.

I posted this a week ago or so that many of the other young guys who just signed a big deal are struggling too so I'm not worried about scoring, everyone has slumps. I'm more worried about his overall game when he is not scoring.
Monahan isn't being paid $6M + this year to worth $6M + this year. He's being overpaid this year (and likely the next season or two) in hopes that he will be underpaid in a few years during his prime. That's the point of these contracts that Hamilton, Gaudreau, and Monahan have all signed.

While it's completely fair to be concerned or not happy with what we are getting, fair to have expected more so far, people are getting way too caught up in what the $ amount should mean for production. Based on the way the NHL is starting to invest it's player money, contracts can't be compared like for like anymore, you need to add the context around when the player signed. The Flames didn't sign Monahan this year to be a $6M dollar player this year, although I don't doubt they expected more than what they are getting.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 04:46 PM   #208
wired
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't see the desire to compete atm. Seems like quite a few players are meh about the team game right now.
Backlund needs to take him under his wing.
wired is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wired For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 09:29 PM   #209
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sean Monahan is good at hockey.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:33 PM   #210
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Sean Monahan is good at hockey.
Absolute beast the last 40ish games including playoffs. I still feel he will pot 30 and 70 points in his prime. While being great two way.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:34 PM   #211
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any previous Monahan concerns about stepping up his game should be rightly put to bed after this series. Guy wanted it.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 09:36 PM   #212
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Great young talent. Needs to get faster and more assertive to really take him to another level. I'd like to see him drop the shoulder and protect the puck when he cuts into the zone rather than seemingly always defer to the drop pass or buttoonhook and wait for the trailer.
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:25 PM   #213
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I saw (and continue to see) a lot of Captain-esque-ness in him this year.

This guy will have a second C on his chest sooner rather than later.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 10:29 PM   #214
Stay Golden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Playoffs are a real measure of a players worth. Monahan was the stand out player for the Flames.
Willing to pay the price even more than the regular season he showed he understand what it takes in the playoffs.
He will be our next Captain.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:45 PM   #215
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Monahan 2016-17

Before January 7th (41 games): AS 22 points, 5v5 12 points 1.37 P/60
After January 7th (45 games): AS 41 points (T-16th in the league) 5v5 22 points 2.32 P/60

He can heat right up and score with the best of them. I still want to see some improvements in his two way play and general assertiveness. He needs to become a puck carrying and distributing threat to take some of the zone entry pressure off of Gaudreau. Looking forward to a great 2017-18 from him.

I'd love to see him go to the World Championships as well.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:55 PM   #216
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrangy View Post
Monahan 2016-17

Before January 7th (41 games): AS 22 points, 5v5 12 points 1.37 P/60
After January 7th (45 games): AS 41 points (T-16th in the league) 5v5 22 points 2.32 P/60

He can heat right up and score with the best of them. I still want to see some improvements in his two way play and general assertiveness. He needs to become a puck carrying and distributing threat to take some of the zone entry pressure off of Gaudreau. Looking forward to a great 2017-18 from him.

I'd love to see him go to the World Championships as well.
Pretty sure it's been that way for the past three years now. Sean spends the first half of the season looking like a third line centre, and the second half being one of the top ten centres in the league. It's the consistent inconsistency of Sean Monahan. There's 40/40 potential here if he can ever figure it out before the new year.
ignite09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:59 PM   #217
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally I thought he was the best player on either team the whole series other than maybe Getzlaf but even then I'm not sure. Really took his game to another level. He's easily my favourite Flame.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:03 PM   #218
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

monahan is the best flame
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:27 PM   #219
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So he's better than Backlund again ? Lol.
Monahan For Mayor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:36 PM   #220
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would really like to see Monahan and Gaudreau split up. They are good together, but I think Monahan can be just as effective if given decent linemates. I think he is more engaged and drives possession well with the puck on his stick, though for sure he is absolutely deadly in the slot waiting for that pass.

He is certainly clutch. This is the 2nd (or is it 3rd?) year in a row where his second half has been nearly a PPG? Never mind his 3rd period goals and OT goals, as well as his game winning goals. Kid is becoming a beast, and still criminally underrated around the league. He has also noticeably become better along the boards and in the defensive zone.

He is well on his way to becoming a franchise center (if he isn't already there yet).
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote