Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-24-2011, 05:45 AM   #41
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why does Bill Hader break every time he does Stefan? I remember reading somewhere that it might be because he doesn't know what's coming up on the cue cards so it makes him laugh.

I also really enjoyed the Eminem impression; he got the voice, the little hand thing, everything down pat. Taram Killam I think is the guy's name.

Jay Pharaoh's are good too, but the actor himself hasn't been that funny....except that Bride of Blackenstein sketch with Nicki Minaj - that was awesome.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:52 AM   #42
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
I love this character. Amazingly funny

Human Parking Cones.
Jupids.
troutman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:55 AM   #43
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
People have been saying it was unfunny since the 80's. There is always a load of crap and a few classics, and the cast gets shaken up fairly regularly so you never know who will turn out to be good. And I think Tina Fey is hot.
I stand by my (5 year old) statement.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:10 AM   #44
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

To this day I can't find a skit that makes me laugh as hard as this one.. and every time I re watch it I almost pee myself again.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:12 AM   #45
fredr123
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machiavelli View Post
Why does Bill Hader break every time he does Stefan? I remember reading somewhere that it might be because he doesn't know what's coming up on the cue cards so it makes him laugh.

I also really enjoyed the Eminem impression; he got the voice, the little hand thing, everything down pat. Taram Killam I think is the guy's name.

Jay Pharaoh's are good too, but the actor himself hasn't been that funny....except that Bride of Blackenstein sketch with Nicki Minaj - that was awesome.
http://warmingglow.uproxx.com/2011/0...ader-on-stefon

Quote:
And for anyone who’s curious as to why Hader can never make it through a sketch as Stefon without laughing, it’s because everyone on the set is conspiring against him: Seth Meyers, the cue card guy, even Mulaney — who changes jokes as the last second to catch Hader off guard.
There's a clip from Hader on Letterman in that link where he explains the character and why he cracks up (skip to 1:30)
fredr123 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fredr123 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2011, 10:03 AM   #46
Prototype

Exp:

SNL lately has been a case of the overused (Armisen, Wiig, Hader... for somewhat good reason), and the underused.

I honostly think they are wasting the tallents of Andy Samberg, Abby Elliot, Jason Sudekis... actually.... everyone else. I really think that Abby Elliot is one of the funniest people they have on the latest cast, and they only bring her out for the Kardashian cameos, or anytime they need Angelina Jolie. She's been religated to a part time Darrell Hammond.

I don't think they trust Samberg, and yet, his digital shorts have been the thing people talk around the water cooler the following Monday. He can be out there, and a different breed of comedy than the usual fare SNL is used to, but maybe that's what it needs. Maybe a little less Wiig doing the same character with a different name in a different situation. Everytime I see her, I see the same character.

Have you noticed that when there's a african american host, Keenan and Pharoah seem to get more camera time. I think Pharoah is a one trick pony with his impressions, which can get old quick, like his Eddie Murphy. But Keenan is funny, and should be on more often.

I'd love to see more balance with the cast, but they'll keep giving us Hader and Wiig and Armisen... because they get the consistant laughs. Samberg should be the highlight of that show right now IMO.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:07 AM   #47
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
To this day I can't find a skit that makes me laugh as hard as this one.. and every time I re watch it I almost pee myself again.

Oh Chris Farley, you were taken away too soon.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #48
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Oh Chris Farley, you were taken away too soon.
My all-time fav SNL actor, man I loved that guy when I was a kid/early teen. Pretty much saw everything he did. Anyone who liked him should read his tragic biography The Chris Farley Show, written by his brother. That guy had some serious issues. Actually his whole family did.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:02 AM   #49
Iceman90
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I am still a big SNL fan and watch every new episode. They're not all great episodes, but usually they're entertaining enough to make it worth while.

I am finding that SNL is playing on the same old skits far too often. There is a lot of stuff that was funny the first few times, and is now getting old. Same with the cast. As Prototype said, Andy, Abby, Keenan and Jason are the cast members that need to be featured more and they need to let some of their usual cast members/characters have a bit of a rest.

I think Kristin Wig is talented, but am getting sick of seeing her play the crazy character, she needs to try something new maybe as a minor role in a skit and let the other cast members pick up the ball if it doesn't work.
Iceman90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:08 AM   #50
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Ah the best moment in Saturday Night Live history was when Lorne Michaels murdered the 1985-86 cast at the start of the 86-87 season.

Old 02-24-2011, 11:14 AM   #51
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Look at Adam Sandlers face when he grabs Spade... he is barely holding it in.

Just awesome, those guys looked like they had so much fun on that show together.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:16 AM   #52
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Best/Favorite cast member ever?

For me it is Phil Hartman. The man was the perfect SNL cast member IMO. So talented.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:19 AM   #53
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favorite (perhaps) Farley SNL moment

Old 02-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #54
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The recent "Behind the Scenes" episode that aired on Sunday was cool. I forgot there were so many now very famous/funny actors & actresses on the show for 1 season or less... and I wasn't even aware Larry David was a cast member (who was only in 1 scene that aired for an entire year).

The Dana Carvey hosted show from a couple weeks ago was pretty hilarious.
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:28 AM   #55
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Displaced Flames fan View Post
Best/Favorite cast member ever?

For me it is Phil Hartman. The man was the perfect SNL cast member IMO. So talented.
To me its a tear off, I loved Hartman, he was brilliant. Dana Carvey was a force during his time on the show.

Old school, nothing compares to Eddie Murphy, nor John Belushi.

In the modern era, Chris Farley of course.

In terms of the woman, probably Tina Fey was the best of all the woman.

In the old days, the best part of SNL were the fake commercials,

Some of the best were the where you're going commercial

http://snltranscripts.jt.org/85/85agoing.phtml

And the bad idea jean commercials.

Best guest hosts, Steve Martin, Alec Baldwin, the first appearance by Jim Carey

Old 02-24-2011, 11:32 AM   #56
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman90 View Post
I am finding that SNL is playing on the same old skits far too often. There is a lot of stuff that was funny the first few times, and is now getting old.
That pretty much sums up to me how SNL's always been. If something really works, they'll just do it to death(and then make a movie out of it). I remember back in about '93 when they made fun of this, and all SNL's recurring characters at the time did a "We Are The World" type sing-a-thon in support of getting rid of recurring characters.

It was pretty good actually, Farley was the "Da Bears" guy (I think this was before his Van Down By The River fame), Myers was Wayne Campbell, Schneider was Photocopy Guy, Sandler was the Waterboy, Carvey was Church Lady, Nealon was the Pump You Up guy, Al Franken was Stuart Smiley, etc etc.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:36 AM   #57
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
That pretty much sums up to me how SNL's always been. If something really works, they'll just do it to death(and then make a movie out of it). I remember back in about '93 when they made fun of this, and all SNL's recurring characters at the time did a "We Are The World" type sing-a-thon in support of getting rid of recurring characters.

It was pretty good actually, Farley was the "Da Bears" guy (I think this was before his Van Down By The River fame), Myers was Wayne Campbell, Schneider was Photocopy Guy, Sandler was the Waterboy, Carvey was Church Lady, Nealon was the Pump You Up guy, Al Franken was Stuart Smiley, etc etc.
Don't forget Julia Sweeney as Pat.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2011, 11:41 AM   #58
Displaced Flames fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
In the old days, the best part of SNL were the fake commercials,

That's a cut version....I remember this line...

"People ask me all the time, how do you make money doing this? The answer is simple. Volume."
Old 02-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #59
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh man, almost forgot about the commercials. That was my favourite part of that show when I first started watching. I remember Chris Farley's Crotch Bats killing me.

Another good bit (which I was going to post but Youtube has nothing but fakes) was Deep Thoughts by Jack Handy. Those were beyond classic. I remember being at some lame dinner party at one of my parent's friends years ago and they had a whole Deep Thoughts bathroom book in the john. I pretty much just set up shop in there. RIP Phil Hartman, you are missed.

I could pretty much spend all day in this thread..
Old 02-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #60
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been watching SNL faithfully for the past 20+years and consider it, without exceptions, the best comedy show on TV today. Yes, it had its ups and downs and not all of today skits are all that funny and yes, I also have my opinions about "the best SNL cast of all times" but it doesn't really matter. They constantly evolve and progress. They're always fresh, alive and kicking as opposed to sitcoms. We actually record the shows sometimes and watch them all together with my teenager kids. Feels kinda weird at times (e.g. Somberg's "Facebook Mom Filter" skit), but I'd rather watch a good quality comedy show with them than some brutal and bloody crap.
CaptainYooh is offline   Reply With Quote