Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2014, 09:39 AM   #1
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default Dead Gaming Computer

This is my year for dead tech. Fortunately with the last death someone on CP had a replacement for sale. So this time one of my son's had his gaming computer die. Took it to Memory Express and they said it was the graphics card and that it wasn't worth fixing. $300 for the card and $100 to install it. $400 on a computer that cost $1300 orginally. Three years old(MSI).

So is it worth getting a 2nd opinion? Can I sell any of the parts? Worth looking for a video card and trying to fix it myself?

Of am I down to just letting him know he can wait till the Boxing Day sales?
St. Pats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 09:43 AM   #2
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

If the card that he is using still works fine with most games, then just order the exact same card and plug it in.

Or pay slightly more for a bigger upgrade of the same card make.

What card does he have in there?
Old 04-23-2014, 09:48 AM   #3
skunt
Draft Pick

It's pretty easy to replace a graphics card. They just snap into the motherboard. Lots of instructional videos on YouTube. So you can definitely save on labour. It also seems unlikely that a three year old graphics card still costs $300. If you're willing to spend that much you could probably reuse the new card in a new computer a few years down the line.
skunt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skunt For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2014, 10:05 AM   #4
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't stop laughing at a $100 fee to install a ####ing graphics card.

You literally uninstall the graphics drivers, ground yourself, pop the old one out, pop the new one in, install new graphics drivers. 30 minutes, tops.

I suppose the tricky part is not buying a card too big for the case, and ensuring you have the power supply requirements (wattage + connectors), but that stuff is simple to figure out or work under.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PsYcNeT For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2014, 10:36 AM   #5
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Can't stop laughing at a $100 fee to install a ####ing graphics card.

You literally uninstall the graphics drivers, ground yourself, pop the old one out, pop the new one in, install new graphics drivers. 30 minutes, tops.

I suppose the tricky part is not buying a card too big for the case, and ensuring you have the power supply requirements (wattage + connectors), but that stuff is simple to figure out or work under.
I can vouch for this as I just did it and am not a techno wiz.

I didn't even ground myself, because I like to live dangerously, and still no issues.

I only had to disconnect 2 cables and click on one tab to release the card from the mobo. It was easier than adding ram.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2014, 10:37 AM   #6
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly, unless it is really high end gaming, you can probably drop $150 and get a good enough/equiv card and put it in yourself.

If you don't trust yourself to do it, I would probably do it for you for a case of Pepsi if you brought the computer to me.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:39 AM   #7
an hero
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Honestly, unless it is really high end gaming, you can probably drop $150 and get a good enough/equiv card and put it in yourself.

If you don't trust yourself to do it, I would probably do it for you for a case of Pepsi if you brought the computer to me.
Pretty much. For a computer that's several years old, would make sense to buy what's more respective of the computer's hardware specs and not what the industry today considers high end. Given places like Memory Express want to sell you stuff, of course they'd rather you spend more money without consideration of bottlenecking yourself hardware-wise.
an hero is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to an hero For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2014, 11:03 AM   #8
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Pats View Post
This is my year for dead tech. Fortunately with the last death someone on CP had a replacement for sale. So this time one of my son's had his gaming computer die. Took it to Memory Express and they said it was the graphics card and that it wasn't worth fixing. $300 for the card and $100 to install it. $400 on a computer that cost $1300 orginally. Three years old(MSI).

So is it worth getting a 2nd opinion? Can I sell any of the parts? Worth looking for a video card and trying to fix it myself?

Of am I down to just letting him know he can wait till the Boxing Day sales?
I don't understand this, if its just the Video Card how is it not worth fixing? Because if this was the case fixing it would just be replacing the video card and if its an older video card already i'm sure you can buy one very cheap used or someone has one lying around. We need more details of this computer.
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #9
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by St. Pats View Post
$300 for the card and $100 to install it.
I'll do it for you for $50. I'm even A+ Certified.

But seriously though, do it yourself - pretty easy to do.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 12:09 PM   #10
an hero
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicleGeek View Post
I'll do it for you for $50. I'm even A+ Certified.

But seriously though, do it yourself - pretty easy to do.
Someone in the topic went through explaining video card removal+new card installation in perfect detail, if I knew the poster I'd do it for free.. charging anything for video card installation is simply a ripoff. It doesn't even take a half hour. It takes a few minutes.
an hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:03 PM   #11
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by an hero View Post
Someone in the topic went through explaining video card removal+new card installation in perfect detail, if I knew the poster I'd do it for free.. charging anything for video card installation is simply a ripoff. It doesn't even take a half hour. It takes a few minutes.
You shouldn't have any issues with someone offering their professional services in exchange for a fee, especially when in the next sentence he said that he should be doing it himself.

Even if it only took 5 minutes, you need to plan your day around it , block off time, arrange a place to meet and do the work. The fact is, you need to put in the card, uninstall old video drivers, download and install new drivers and make sure everything is working correctly, so it is going to take more than 5 minutes, even if everything goes flawlessly.

Any person doing this, who is worth paying to do it, should be billing for 30 minutes work at minimum.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:33 PM   #12
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I should have used green text for the first line. But I didn't think I needed it with that second line.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 01:53 PM   #13
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
If the card that he is using still works fine with most games, then just order the exact same card and plug it in.

Or pay slightly more for a bigger upgrade of the same card make.

What card does he have in there?
I will check and post when I find out.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:54 PM   #14
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
I don't understand this, if its just the Video Card how is it not worth fixing? Because if this was the case fixing it would just be replacing the video card and if its an older video card already i'm sure you can buy one very cheap used or someone has one lying around. We need more details of this computer.
Yep I should have grabbed all the details before posting but I will put them up tonight.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:14 PM   #15
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

This one is on special right now and it's a good one for the price.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX41982
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:18 PM   #16
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by To Be Quite Honest View Post
This one is on special right now and it's a good one for the price.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX41982
Also it fits literally every case and only uses 1 6-pin PCI-E connector.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 02:28 PM   #17
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
It is likely the video card itself that isn't worth fixing, not the computer, since they did offer to replace the video card.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:29 PM   #18
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Also it fits literally every case and only uses 1 6-pin PCI-E connector.
OK just occured to me that I really haven't given enough info. It's a gaming laptop. Does that totally change the ease of removing and installing a new card?
The Following User Says Thank You to St. Pats For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2014, 02:45 PM   #19
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah that makes a pretty significant difference

Laptops can range from merely annoying to very difficult to replace the video card. And the replacement cards can be expensive depending on what it is. What model of laptop?
Old 04-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #20
St. Pats
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Yeah that makes a pretty significant difference

Laptops can range from merely annoying to very difficult to replace the video card. And the replacement cards can be expensive depending on what it is. What model of laptop?
It's an MSI but I won't have all the details till after getting home from work. I'll post all the specs this evening.