Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 04:27 PM   #10041
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean, can American politics ever recover from Donald Trump?
Old 08-09-2016, 04:28 PM   #10042
Buster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Okay, I'm back.

You're right. He never said assassination.

He might have meant any variety of these stupid things:

1. assassination
2. some sort of states' rights overthrow secede BS
3. overthrow government
4. militia action of some kind?

Without prior knowledge of his statement, I don't think I would have gone to #1 first. Probably 2 or 3 maybe?
Old 08-09-2016, 04:29 PM   #10043
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Trump it could be all 4.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:30 PM   #10044
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Learned a new term today:
Stochastic terrorism is the use of mass communications to stir up random lone wolves to carry out violent or terrorist acts that are statistically predictable but individually unpredictable.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2016, 04:31 PM   #10045
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
I'm inclined to argue that his involvement will spark a correction in the Republican party and politics in the USA. Moreso if he gets elected.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:36 PM   #10046
Buster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
With Trump it could be all 4.
Or:

5. Action against the Judges themselves.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:37 PM   #10047
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I want to say that it will take someone being killed, but I'm not even sure that would be enough to reset people's mindsets at this point. Gabby Giffords got lit the hell up and it wasn't even a speed bump to the rage build up.

At this point, even if the president was killed, I still think people are so entrenched in their teams that they'd see it as a victory, even if they didn't openly celebrate it.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:40 PM   #10048
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I want to say that it will take someone being killed, but I'm not even sure that would be enough to reset people's mindsets at this point. Gabby Giffords got lit the hell up and it wasn't even a speed bump to the rage build up.

At this point, even if the president was killed, I still think people are so entrenched in their teams that they'd see it as a victory, even if they didn't openly celebrate it.
This is the unresolved sociological issue.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:40 PM   #10049
Buster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ed Krayewski
‏@edkrayewski
Donald Trump is what a Democrat might imagine a Republican is like. "Second Amendment people" lol who says that?
Old 08-09-2016, 04:40 PM   #10050
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buster View Post
Okay, I'm back.

You're right. He never said assassination.

He might have meant any variety of these stupid things:

1. assassination
2. some sort of states' rights overthrow secede BS
3. overthrow government
4. militia action of some kind?

Without prior knowledge of his statement, I don't think I would have gone to #1 first. Probably 2 or 3 maybe?
Are any of these reasonable statements given the context? In particular from someone seeking the highest office?
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:41 PM   #10051
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
This is the unresolved sociological issue.
Maybe the Bible Belt needs another good ass kicking.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:42 PM   #10052
Buster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
Are any of these reasonable statements given the context? In particular from someone seeking the highest office?
Notice the part where I said stupid.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:43 PM   #10053
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
If the Libertarians (like 'em or hate 'em) can take advantage of this disaster to put up a reasonable showing -- maybe even earn an electoral college vote!?? -- then the public might start to see that it doesn't *have to* be "Kang vs Kodos." That they don't have to simply pick the least-bad option. If that occurs, then maybe American politics will recover.

While the electoral college system might encourage a 2-party system, the same is not necessarily true in Congress, is it? Start small, and start eroding the power of the old guard.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:45 PM   #10054
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Notice the part where I said stupid.
So then you agree that the reaction to that statement within this thread is not "hyperbole"?
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:48 PM   #10055
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Maybe the Bible Belt needs another good ass kicking.
There isn't really a Bible Belt. In fact, places with high religious service attendance tend to resist Old Mr. Trump.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:51 PM   #10056
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
I actually agree with him on the age point.
I don't.

Age is statistically relevant, but they're not electing a large group of people, just one person. The presidents health will also be closely monitored, and she (or theoretically he) will have a qualified person ready to take over at a moments notice. There's a whole bunch of potential replacements actually, all of them relatively qualified.

It's not your usual job.

As for Scott Adams and his blog, I had to go and read some of those posts, and IMO those "MRADilbert" comics are depicting his thoughts quite unfairly. That said, the blog makes him seem like he's fantastically full of himself. Not dumb, has some good points here and there, but not enough to make them worth reading. (IMO obviously.)

I'm still comfortable reading the comics. It's not like he's the first artist who's kind of a narcissistic ######bag.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:52 PM   #10057
Buster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
So then you agree that the reaction to that statement within this thread is not "hyperbole"?
assassination is clearly an inflammatory word. Which is par for the course here, I guess.

There is a general requirement to take something Trump says, paraphrase or interpret in the most inflammatory manner possible, and then repeat it ad nauseam.

People get upset when you hold them to actual reality, however, because it's more fun for them to rummage around flinging mud like a partisan group-thinker.

People convince themselves that Trump says something he didn't because people relish outrage.
Old 08-09-2016, 04:58 PM   #10058
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
assassination is clearly an inflammatory word. Which is par for the course here, I guess.

There is a general requirement to take something Trump says, paraphrase or interpret in the most inflammatory manner possible, and then repeat it ad nauseam.

People get upset when you hold them to actual reality, however, because it's more fun for them to rummage around flinging mud like a partisan group-thinker.

People convince themselves that Trump says something he didn't because people relish outrage.
Actual reality? So from your own list, the alternatives seem to be some form of civil war or armed insurrection. Is that the preferred interpretation?
Old 08-09-2016, 05:03 PM   #10059
Buster
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Actual reality? So from your own list, the alternatives seem to be some form of civil war or armed insurrection. Is that the preferred interpretation?
I made no such claim, nor did I order things according to my preference.

All I know is that he didn't say "assassination"...it just probably plays the best from an outrage perspective.
Old 08-09-2016, 05:06 PM   #10060
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

And Clinton is a warmonger. If you ask others to have nuance maybe you should do the same thing.

Also are any of the 4 options listed less bad. Advocating for violent overthrow of the government is somehow not as bad as assassination. The second amendment is about using force to ensure legitimate government so I don't see how any of your proposals is better then what you complain is hyperbole

I mean at least you could go with the NRA guys are really organized and they will go out and got to stop Hillary. Otherwise your saying assignating Clinton is bad but overthrowing the government isn't as bad.
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
clinton 2016 , context , democrat , history , obama rules! , politics , republican