Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-07-2015, 09:51 AM   #1
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default FC releases April ranking for 2015 NHL Draft

Not a lot of movement up top as the Top-5 remains the same, but plenty of shuffling still going on. The U18 will have an effect, too, so it should be an interesting stretch run.

Quote:
The biggest downward movement in April’s ranking includes Lawson Crouse from six to nine, Oliver Kylington‘s continued fall from 12 to 19, Jansen Harkins from 21 to 25. Those trending upward include Mikko Rantanen from 11 to seven, Kyle Connor from 17 to 12, Timo Meier from 20 to 16, Jakub Zboril from 26 to 22 and Paul Bittner from 28 to 24.

Jacob Larsson (29th) and Jake DeBrusk (27th) are among those that have climbed into Future Considerations’ first round ranking.
http://futureconsiderations.ca/fc-re...or-2015-draft/
FCAV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FCAV For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2015, 10:35 AM   #2
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I've been reading a bit about Pavel Zacha because he falls somewhere in that area where the Flames will probably draft. He's big, aggressive, and an offensive force, which is cool and all.

But from what I understand, his biggest knock is that he takes dumb, borderline violent penalties (and has been suspended a few times), so that has caused him to be more cautious about taking dumb penalties and when he's being conscious of that he becomes ineffective?

That's what I got out of what I read about him. I wonder if that's something that can be rectified or if that's part of his 'hockey DNA' now?

EDIT - Also, what's with Lawson Crouse's fall? I haven't been paying too close attention to the rankings, but it just seems like he's been constantly falling since around December.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:34 PM   #3
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Think for result for Crouse is just the correction of overrating him post WJC.

He was a mid to late first round guy who surprisingly made the WJC, that jumped him up into top 5 pick territory and now with the WJC shine wearing off he is falling to a more reasonable level.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2015, 11:09 PM   #4
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Hopefully Kylington falls to the 20s. Would be an amazing add for a Flames system with a dearth of defensive talent.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 01:05 PM   #5
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

My top 5 hopeful Flames picks out of that top 30, assuming we're drafting in the ~16 range and the top 10 are gone:

1) Barzal
2) Meier
3) White
4) Carlo
5) Roy

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 02:06 PM   #6
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
My top 5 hopeful Flames picks out of that top 30, assuming we're drafting in the ~16 range and the top 10 are gone:

1) Barzal
2) Meier
3) White
4) Carlo
5) Roy
Agreed. To be able to draft any one of the bolded players after gaining some playoff experience would be fantastic.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 08:18 AM   #7
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post

1) Barzal
2) Meier
3) White
4) Carlo
5) Roy
Good list. I'd put Thomas Chabot in there also.
Rick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2015, 02:33 PM   #8
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zacha will be an absolute steal at the Flames pick if he falls.

I think he'll be my primary choice for the Flames pick this year if he slides. Kind of like how I wanted Grigorenko in the 2012 draft.

My top 5 for the Flames in that range:
1. Kylington (something tells me he slides past CGY but he shouldn't , an off year is going to give one team an insane value pick)
2. Meier (Flames need to get in on the Mooseheads offense development success)
3. Brandon Carlo (I would think it'd be tough to pass on him and can be taken much higher if a team thinks he won't get to their next pick)
4. Svechnikov (would love the Flames to take this guy, but something tells me he's going to go much higher.)
5. Boeser or Nikita Korostelev. Big natural RW snipers. Would rather take Korostelev at this pick if you knew he was not going to make deep into the 2nd round. Both these kids can shoot the daylights out. Both would be top six potential natural RW's.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2015, 11:18 PM   #9
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick M. View Post
Good list. I'd put Thomas Chabot in there also.
Here where ISS, Future considerations and Lwos agree on the top 13:

Mcdavid
Eichel
Strome
Hanifin
Crowse
Marner
Rantanen
Barzal
Provorov
Zacha
Werenski
Konecny
Connor

After that the lists diverge. Jeremy Roy is listed at 14 for FC, Paul Bittner at 14 for ISS. I expect there will be some deviation from the lists like always, especially with Barzal and Konecny who are less than ideal size. Apart from Roy, both ISS and FC do not list D until #19 and have Meier, Svechnikov and Merkley in the 15-18 range.

If our scouts see things similar and follow the bpa model, we could be drafting another F in the first round despite most people believing we need an elite level d. If we do draft a F, I hope it's a focus on skill first and not size as we need to get these first rounders right (no more Dingmans or Sunblads please).

Have a feeling we will pick someone who has fallen out of the top or draft someone that while not a stretch may be ranked below our position in order to fill a need (top 4 D).
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote