Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2012, 08:21 AM   #21
hesh329
Draft Pick

Seems like the right thing to do this year considering that teams are going to be deeper this year with the lockout lots of players will be further down the depth charts in the AHL and ECHL with locked out players. As well if you ever read "The Talent Code" on of the things he talks about is practicing in a the sweet spot where people are challenged but not in over their heads. Seems like Ferland might have been a little over his head and needed to take one step back to hopefully take a step forward. Hopefully he uses the practice and icetime to work on his skills.
hesh329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #22
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I really hope Ferland can rebound this year. I remember comparing his and Jamie Benn's junior stats last year, and how similar they were...NOT to say then or now that he would be Jamie Benn, but as John Weisbrod said, the Flames need a big, strong, young power forward.
Old 12-31-2012, 08:40 PM   #23
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Too bad that a spot wasn't found for Ferland to get some playing time, at least at the ECHL level but understand it is a bit of a different year. Him and Howse's development has been disappointing.

I don't think he will be challenged as a 20 year old in the dub and won't do anything except get sharp again.

Wondering if Calgary put any conditions on the Wheaties for sending him down. With them owning the Hitmen I can't see them allowing him to go down and get traded to the Oil Kings with those two teams locked in such a close battle for the division.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:42 PM   #24
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
Too bad that a spot wasn't found for Ferland to get some playing time, at least at the ECHL level but understand it is a bit of a different year. Him and Howse's development has been disappointing.

I don't think he will be challenged as a 20 year old in the dub and won't do anything except get sharp again.

Wondering if Calgary put any conditions on the Wheaties for sending him down. With them owning the Hitmen I can't see them allowing him to go down and get traded to the Oil Kings with those two teams locked in such a close battle for the division.
I doubt they are allowed to put on such conditions. It would be a conflict of interest
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:48 PM   #25
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
I doubt they are allowed to put on such conditions. It would be a conflict of interest
Wouldn't be formally allowed in writing or anything but Calgary held the hammer in terms of letting him come back and the Wheaties got a huge asset that will probably bring them a 1st round pick ++ for nothing. I know when WHL GMs are trying to get top picks to come down midseason from other leagues there are usually a lot of promises made. From McCrimmon's point of view, if the Flames said sure you can have the asset for nothing as long as you don't trade him to the chuk I can't see him saying no. Maybe they are more ethical than that.

Just a random thought anyway. Should be an interesting WHL trade deadline next week.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:27 PM   #26
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can Calgary prevent him from playing in Junior?

It seems like a terrible system if so and it would be an awful thing both from a PR standpoint and development stand for a team to refuse to let a guy go to junior if that is where he wanted to go.
moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:50 PM   #27
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Can Calgary prevent him from playing in Junior?

It seems like a terrible system if so and it would be an awful thing both from a PR standpoint and development stand for a team to refuse to let a guy go to junior if that is where he wanted to go.
I think they could prevent him if he cares about his NHL contract, pretty sure going to play in another league without the Flames' consent would be grounds to suspend or even terminate the contract.

What is strange for me is that from the quotes in the link I provided, the whole returning to junior was Ferland's idea . Strange that if it was truly what the Flames thought was best for his development that they weren't the ones who were the driving for it.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 12-31-2012, 09:55 PM   #28
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I understand the risk he would have in terms of his future with the team if he went against their wishes. I was just wondering if they could actually terminate his deal or say no you can't play in junior if you want to.

Seems odd that they could control him like that in terms of juniors. I would understand if it was another pro league he wanted to go to.
Old 12-31-2012, 10:14 PM   #29
Alberta_Beef
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
I understand the risk he would have in terms of his future with the team if he went against their wishes. I was just wondering if they could actually terminate his deal or say no you can't play in junior if you want to.

Seems odd that they could control him like that in terms of juniors. I would understand if it was another pro league he wanted to go to.
Since he is an overager in the CHL they would treat it as any other league as it will still burn a year off his contract.

I also find it strange Ferland wants to go back. It is not a sign of a fighter that's for sure.
Alberta_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 10:25 PM   #30
moon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_Beef View Post
Since he is an overager in the CHL they would treat it as any other league as it will still burn a year off his contract.

I also find it strange Ferland wants to go back. It is not a sign of a fighter that's for sure.
If I were him I think I would rather play on a top line in Junior than sit in the PB for some crappy ECHL team.

Especially if he sees the writing on the wall and sees that his time in pro hockey is likely going to be short lived and this could be a fun 4 months for him.
Old 01-01-2013, 07:00 AM   #31
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm kind of surprised that since he was a feared fighter in the WHL we never saw any evidence of that in the AHL.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #32
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Big fish in a small pond syndrome I guess...
Old 01-02-2013, 11:52 AM   #33
T@T
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Waiting to beat an assault causing bodily harm charge can take the fisticuffs away from anyone.
T@T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #34
Stampede2TheCup
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Without having watched his games I'm not sure what to make of him not fighting in the AHL. Ward says he dislikes fighting just for the sake of it so maybe in his limited ice time the right occasion didn't arise? He may very well have been told he doesn't have to try to go out of his way to prove he can fight in the AHL.

At face value I don't think that Ferland asking to go to the WHL is particularly positive or negative. As much as you want to see guys battle to win their spots, it's completely understandable for a player who hasn't seen much ice to be itching to play games. What really matters is his attitude and and how hard he's been working on and off the ice this season. We'll see down the road how committed he really is, especially since fitness testing in next fall's camp will act as such a good gauge.
Stampede2TheCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:59 PM   #35
Johnny Rotten
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Anyone know why Ferland isn't playing tonight?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:03 PM   #36
LockedOut
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's not in the lineup against the Hitmen tonight according to the game summary. Is he injured or they holding him out of the lineup. I hear there are possibilities he might get traded. ie. WHL trade.
LockedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:06 PM   #37
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's an over-age player, and they're only allowed to play a maximum number of over-agers in any one game.

Tonight, he's the odd-man-out.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:53 PM   #38
HighLifeMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
He's an over-age player, and they're only allowed to play a maximum number of over-agers in any one game.

Tonight, he's the odd-man-out.
I think it's best he sat this game out in hindsight.

Currently 10-2 for the good guys with a few minutes to play.
HighLifeMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #39
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looks like it's a possibility via Kristen Odland of the Herald.

Quote:
Herald Hockey
‏@HeraldHockey

Ferland could be dealt at WHL trade deadline http://dlvr.it/2kqlB7 #flames
Quote:
With one too many 20 year olds on their roster heading into the Western Hockey League trade deadline on Jan. 10, the Calgary Flames prospect is well aware that someone will have to go.

“I talked to (Wheat Kings’ general manager) Kelly (McCrimmon) about the trade deadline here,” Ferland said on Wednesday prior to the team’s game against the Calgary Hitmen. “I’m not going to be surprised if I get moved here and if I do, it’ll be a new chapter in my career and I’ll move forward.”

Last edited by Pierre "Monster" McGuire; 01-02-2013 at 10:32 PM.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pierre "Monster" McGuire For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #40
Bigfoot.Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Ferland was not in the lineup again tonight.

Perhaps there is a trade lined up already or the Wheat Kings dont want to risk injury prior to the trade deadline.
Bigfoot.Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigfoot.Flames For This Useful Post: